IGNORED

John Maus - We Must Become the Pitiless Censors of Ourselves

Guest disparaissant

Guest disparaissant

The Return Of John Maus.

John+Maus+4076802754_34a6ba0b26_b.jpg

Upset The Rhythm will put out it's 50th release, John Maus'sWe Must Become the Pitiless Censors of Ourselves in April. One of my favourite ever musicians and ridiculously exciting news. Here's my first ever reblog because the mp3 doesn't seem to be anywhere else, a demo of album track And The Rain. It is very John Maus, and god i've missed that synth.

You can read about the new record in a lengthy interview with his brother here. In other Maus news, he plays UTR's Spaghetti Tree festival in April with Dan Deacon, No Age and Ducktails. Psyched.

Here's a purely speculative tracklisting based on part googling, part last.fm stalking:

• 1. Street Light
  • 2. Quantum Leap
  • 3. And the Rain
  • 4. Hey Moon (featuirng Molly Nilsson)
  • 5. Keep Pushing On
  • 6. The Crucifix
  • 7. Head for the Country
  • 8. Cop Killer
  • 9. Matter of Fact
  • 10. Breakthrough
  • 11. Believer

I don't expect TOO many watmmers will care about this, but ohfucki'mpissingmyselfwithexcitement. John Maus is just the best. You can listen to the demo of "and the rain" here.

• 1 month later...
Guest Iain C

john maus is OK - all my friends are big fans and i've seen him live a couple of times. it's fun stuff but i've never felt compelled to get any of his records. i did speak to him after a show in brixton, he came out and had a cigarette with me and my pals. he seemed like a really enthusiastic, friendly guy.

the spaghetti tree festival looks like fun, but it's in fucking peckham. honestly, who wants to go to peckham? not me.

• 3 weeks later...

I really like the music in this, quite melancholy and retro. Regarding his voice though, I'm not sure, I think

for me it might take some time to get used to, it's clearly quite unusual, almost sounds slowed down ( I know it's not)

but didn't immediately appeal. It's always the same for vocalists with me though, some I get immediately,

some not. It took me years to get used to Nick Cave's voice for instance and then I warmed to him.

Damn it, again, I like the music itself in this, but his voice.

I think it's safe to say it's not gelling with me. I was almost hoping for a female vocalist

to come on instead.

Off to listen to this tenebrae.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVHtTs6oG4Y&feature=related

That "Believer" video is much better I have to say, really enjoyable music and the voice doesn't sound

quite as pompous or something,maybe because he's singing higher,just more natural all together, nice and psychedelic.

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

haha goddamn it guys stop messing about. i feel bad for this guy when he realizes you were all just liking him ironically and he has to go back to not being famous

Guest futuregirlfriend
It took this Ariel Pink cohort five years to write and record his debut album, and only five minutes to become more annoying than Ariel Pink. - CMJ

For me, this is just too weird. The first couple of tracks make this the most skip-able album of 2006. -Subba Cultcha

Apparently, Maus spent five years working on this album, which is a shame because, frankly, its awful. -Vice

There isn't one song you could call 'good' on the whole album. -Music Zine

Overall, I can't recommend this album even as a novelty listen. Maybe I just don't get it. It seems as if Maus sabotages practically any hint of an interesting melody, lyric, or instrumental part with a blatantly grating one at almost every turn. -Indie Workshp

Maus's baroquely deadpan voice - and thats being polite - effectively spoils many a song. Some will hear a little Nick Cave in it; others will hear a man crapping out of his mouth. -Drowned in Sound

If it is supposed to be funny, it is not. If it is meant seriousy, then Maus needs some SERIOUS help. -Another Zine

Unfortunately I can't find the review by one of his ex-girlfriends.

Guest disparaissant

different strokes for different folks and all

i was mostly referring to benedict cumberbatch implying that someone can only like him ironically

anyway this'll be on there too

• 1 month later...
Guest futuregirlfriend

Great album.

I’ve been working on this mix for awhile now. A collection of songs that may, may not or most assuredly have influenced John Maus. Parallels, paths, phases abound trying to trace an influence wherever it can be found. A task I’ll readily admit is difficult with an artist like John Maus who carries such a distinctly unique sound. Enjoy (it at night).

http://knowphase.com/2011/04/26/kp-1-john-maus-phase-mix/

• 4 weeks later...

Archived