IGNORED

Credit cards

Guest bigs

hey boys and girls!

i was wondering if you all might help me in my quest for a credit card. i'm about to graduate from university, have a good job lined up and want to start building credit (and, you know, be able to afford anything -- i'm fuckin' broke at the moment). i start work late june, so i'm not particularly worried about interest for the time being.

so... from what i've gathered, i can't get any 'premium' cards without having already established some credit. this doesn't really bother me, as i'm not enticed by points programs and stuff like that. what i'm really looking for is good interest rates and reasonable policies (not even sure if those exist). i'm good about spending my money and not concerned with missing payments (especially now that automated payment systems are so common).

any suggestions or resources would certainly be appreciated. i'm new to this whole "real world" thing.

thaaaaaaaanks :nyan:

Guest nene multiple assgasms

can't you build your credit by just paying your bills on time? why do you need a credit card? you might want to stick with just a debit card for now.

Buying/Getting a credit card when you don't have money to pay it off immediately is a bad idea [note the buying, a bunch of cards have fees, though certainly not all). If you want to build credit, do the aforementioned things, and then when you have stable income get a CC and just buy small stuff on it and always pay it off. Better yet, just don't ever get a credit card, just have your bank card with visa logo that you can use as a credit card that deducts from your acct. I fucked my credit up bad with credit cards because i used them in lieu of actual money, even though, like you "the money was coming". There's no worse feeling than finally having that actual money and having to spend it all paying off debt.

4 ur health

or better yet

get a pre paid visa if you really want a credit card and can't get one tied to your bank acct. Can't spend money you don't have!

Just my 2 cents, there's plenty of people who are responsible with credit cards, I was one of the fml ones that dun effed up.

can't you build your credit by just paying your bills on time? why do you need a credit card? you might want to stick with just a debit card for now.

well, i've paid my own car insurance and phone bills all through school, but when i had a credit check as part of getting my lease (required in nyc, afaik) i didn't have sufficient credit to act as my own guaranteur -- even with proof of salary. i know that debit cards don't count towards credit. i may be missing something, though...

apparently the easiest method is to just piggyback off my parents account as a "joint account holder" for a little while, but my parents aren't down for that.

Buying/Getting a credit card when you don't have money to pay it off immediately is a bad idea [note the buying, a bunch of cards have fees, though certainly not all). If you want to build credit, do the aforementioned things, and then when you have stable income get a CC and just buy small stuff on it and always pay it off. Better yet, just don't ever get a credit card, just have your bank card with visa logo that you can use as a credit card that deducts from your acct. I fucked my credit up bad with credit cards because i used them in lieu of actual money, even though, like you "the money was coming". There's no worse feeling than finally having that actual money and having to spend it all paying off debt.

4 ur health

or better yet

get a pre paid visa if you really want a credit card and can't get one tied to your bank acct. Can't spend money you don't have!

Just my 2 cents, there's plenty of people who are responsible with credit cards, I was one of the fml ones that dun effed up.

yeah, i really do appreciate the sentiment! could you be a little more explicit regarding the other ways of building credit? i'm definitely interested. i'm not trying to spend money i haven't got, just trying to get a head start if i can. i get a pretty good bonus at the end of june -- should i just wait until them if i'm gonna take any action on the cc front?

sorry to make so many posts, but i missed my edit window...

to clarify, i'd rather avoid a credit card all together if it were possible to do so without losing out on anything.

you can, but it gains VERY VERY slowly, and all it takes is one late bill or one failure to receive the transaction (i had a credit problem because some company never received my payment of twelve dollars.) to set you back a decade

Guest hahathhat

they want people to use credit, or they don't make any money. they're not very fond of people like me that largely just use it as a convenience. if you pay it off 100%, every time, your score will be lower than someone who uses it to buy some $2k stereo and pays it off over the next few months (presuming they pay for it eventually).

they want people to use credit, or they don't make any money. they're not very fond of people like me that largely just use it as a convenience. if you pay it off 100%, every time, your score will be lower than someone who uses it to buy some $2k stereo and pays it off over the next few months (presuming they pay for it eventually).

being as i cannot possibly pay the ENTIRE bill every month, i pay off about 80-90% of it....the monthly interest added to it at that point is negligible.

welcome to the new slavery system...the funny part is that in some respects, it requires you to acknowledge it to survive before the enslavement even happens.

thats a powerful psychological structure there methinks...but i could just be ranting.

Guest hahathhat

yes, we're all born into a giant machine we resent.

around the world, others are born into abject poverty.

neither is particularly fair, and neither is really something you can just pull the plug on.

you're only a slave if you resign yourself to feeling that's all there ever will be in your life.

let the system be the system, and start plotting your grand escape.

Guest nene multiple assgasms

there's no need to worry about your credit score unless you're about to go into debt to purchase a large asset (or liability) -.e.g, real estate/home; where the interest rate you're offered can mean the difference in the tens of thousands.

just pay your damn bills on time. it's that easy.

credit cards are wonderful - security, miles/rewards, etc. i get paid to use mine.

never paid a dime in interest.

wow - they make it so easy

ok, cool. i'm probably just gonna get one once i start work (late june, anyway) and just work my way up. i've got a one year lease, so i should have some semblance of credit when it comes time to re-sign/move. on that note, i'll be living in nyc starting june! any of you watmmers in the area? i know there's more than a few of ya. i'll be living in soho of all places (got a pretty great deal on a slick lofted 3 bedroom apartment with some friends). i've spent loads of time in the city so this won't be a super crazy-disorienting move, but i'm always interested in hearing about good spots. most of the bars i know and enjoy are on the lower east side or in bk.

I'm almost done paying off my credit card. Huzzah!

I would suggest just looking at what your bank has to offer and selecting one that sounds good. That's what I did, and I don't feel bad about the decision.

cool -- good to hear. now i just need to figure out whether or not i want to stick with bank of america. they've been pretty average thus far and i have to pay atm fees fucking everywhere (granted, there are way more boa atms in nyc than there are here in rochester). i've actually considered putting my money into an account with fidelity. a really bright guy in my comp sci department keeps his money with them (granted, they distribute it to banks) and he's had nothing but praise.

I refuse to buy anything that I don't already have funds for. That's just my money philosophy. I'd rather save up and know the funds I have. I'll never in my life have a credit card, buy a car on credit, or buy a house on credit, or take out any other kind of loan.

Guest Scrambled Ears

ok, cool. i'm probably just gonna get one once i start work (late june, anyway) and just work my way up. i've got a one year lease, so i should have some semblance of credit when it comes time to re-sign/move. on that note, i'll be living in nyc starting june! any of you watmmers in the area? i know there's more than a few of ya. i'll be living in soho of all places (got a pretty great deal on a slick lofted 3 bedroom apartment with some friends). i've spent loads of time in the city so this won't be a super crazy-disorienting move, but i'm always interested in hearing about good spots. most of the bars i know and enjoy are on the lower east side or in bk.

i live in bk. soho is stuffy though harvest works is there if you want to learn maxmsp or something like that

when i used to be boozing a lot i liked Grassroots in St. Marks b.c. they have $9 pitchers (7 @ happy hours) of michelob amber bock which is pretty decent plus 2 bros ($1 pizza) is right next door. Also any place with a dartboard and a decent jukebox is game for me.

theres a bunch of bars out here though its all kind of the same gig...if im feeling dirty though i go for the $6 high life + cuervo shot (hello summer!)

also if you use a condom you wont need a credit card

I refuse to buy anything that I don't already have funds for. That's just my money philosophy. I'd rather save up and know the funds I have. I'll never in my life have a credit card, buy a car on credit, or buy a house on credit, or take out any other kind of loan.

yeah... i don't intend on using the credit card for anything other than building up credit for future loans, as was mentioned earlier in this thread. i admire your aspirations to avoid it, but i imagine it will be hard to get enough dough in the bank to buy a house when you really want it. hell, i wouldn't have gone to college if not for student loans! that said, i totally encourage you to keep it up, as credit certainly has its downsides (especially in the hands that use it like free money). the main reason i created this thread at all is because i feared credit cards growing up and have never touched anything other than a debit card.

i live in bk. soho is stuffy though harvest works is there if you want to learn maxmsp or something like that

when i used to be boozing a lot i liked Grassroots in St. Marks b.c. they have $9 pitchers (7 @ happy hours) of michelob amber bock which is pretty decent plus 2 bros ($1 pizza) is right next door. Also any place with a dartboard and a decent jukebox is game for me.

theres a bunch of bars out here though its all kind of the same gig...if im feeling dirty though i go for the $6 high life + cuervo shot (hello summer!)

also if you use a condom you wont need a credit card

first off, LOL -- love it. st. marks is great for cheap thrills in general (perhaps in every sense). similarly, i've had a lot of fun at places like max fish and welcome to the johnsons (that place is somethin haha). i love bk and would like to have cheaper rent (granted, it's coming up, now, isn't it), but i'll be working in manhattan (granted, not too far from the L -- 43rd and park, about) and my friend already has this pretty slick apartment in a pretty quiet part of town. i'll definitely be heading out there a lot, though. my friends and i have had some hilarious times at some of the more hipster bars like the levy, etc. as for bar games, my game's pool.

just beacuse you buy something with a credit card doesn't mean you dont haev the funds to pay for it.

it's convenience, security, warranty, rewards, etc.

and just personal opinion,

the only people that bitch about how 'evil' credit cards are - are people who couldn't control their spending and got burned in the first place.

paying cash for a home is certainly a notable statement. the only thing i haven't paid cash for is my higher education and my home.

but debt is not all bad; debt is a tool. it's how you use it.

for example,

i have some remaining student loan debt. i can pay it off now many times over.

but it's at 2.2%. why on earth would i use money that could be earning me much more than that via investments, to pay off a 2.2% loan?

Guest maantecaaa!!!

I'm graduating in a couple of weeks too in NYC. Find a local credit union, they're usually not trying to fuck their customers in the ass. The one I went to before required a deposit that your credit line is insured against. It's not as great of a start as getting a credit card from a bigger bank but the terms are much easier and they do end up extending a regular credit line to you fairly quickly. I started with $100 and I think the full credit line was offered to me within 6 months of paying my credit bills on time.

Also, fuck Bank of America, as soon as this semester is done i'm taking my money from them. They've played a pretty big part in the current financial crisis. Credit union + the ability to use atm's of other entities associated with them = win.

Also....

WATMM NYC meetup this summer??? I'm in Gowanus.

Archived