IGNORED

$1.61 billion to build a human brain simulation by 2024

chaosmachine

Computational power that can theoretically simulate a human brain in realtime by 2024? Seems possible. An actual brain model running on that hardware that behaves somewhat human? I doubt it.

iiiiii don't know. ray kurzweil, well-known futurist and theoretical statistician/analyst/whatever you'd like to call him seems really convinced this is doable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfbOyw3CT6A

(WIN95 MOST IDM THING 2011! :nyan: )

:trashbear:

Guest Promo

Don't see how they can do it. They can even fuckin cure some neurological diseases and conditions so what hope have they got building something like this. Not only that what's the fuckin' purpose. That money could be going into proper medical/scientific R&D for something that's gonna benefit us.

:facepalm:

how would this NOT benefit us? we could run complete simulations of how the brain works and what neurons are firing/misfiring/responding in any given disease or treatment. without hurting anyone.

@KY: kurzweil is a bit of a nut bar sometimes

Guest theSun

here's the thing.

i don't think this will be a working simulation of a human brain, i don't think it will be a living being.

what this seems to me is a map of every physical connection in the brain. i'm no neurologist so i don't know any direct implications or benefits of such knowledge, but it seems akin drawing an absurdly complex mechanical diagram with every nut and bolt accounted for.

stupid posts like promos make me a little ashamed to be human

Guest Adam

Just did some research. Not sure but it looks like it can. That's so amazingly cool. I hope I'll not die earlier than a consious copy of my brain can be created.

Guest theSun

Just did some research. Not sure but it looks like it can. That's so amazingly cool. I hope I'll not die earlier than a consious copy of my brain can be created.

but it wouldn't be your experience, just another you chillin

Guest Adam

but it wouldn't be your experience, just another you chillin

Are you sure?

Guest theSun

how do you think it would happen? they make a copy of how your brain/body works and then all of a sudden you are experiencing that beings reality?

i think that the copy of you would perceive itself as you and would think that it was involved in your memories, but i don't think you could perceive yourself as the copy.

who knows though, that's just what i assume

Guest Adam

I don't know. Have no idea. Yeah logically it looks like it would be just another me. Fuck then. I guess I'll have to use nanorobots to extend my life.

Guest theSun

consciousness is a tricky thing to move around.... i can think of no way that your experience could be transported to a robot, until there are ways to reroute entire physical processes. even then, i don't know

@KY: kurzweil is a bit of a nut bar sometimes

CHUT UP I WANT TO B ABLE TO EAT COMPUTERS AND POOP MP3S

Archived