IGNORED

Moon Wiring Club - Clutch it Like a Gonk

Glunk

Pre-ordered the bundle without even thinking, or even fully understanding what I'll be getting. Seems like a 5" and 3" CD with a badge. Such is my faith in Ian Hodgson though that I'll be great whatever.

Guest Lucy Faringold

Hmm, can't quite bring myself to pull the trigger on this. I think he needs to be trying out new approaches, maybe move in a more ambient direction (that first teaser clip sounds promising for this reason). The fact that he does his stuff on a Playstation is fine, but his sound has been pretty formulaic for a while now.

Might hold off for now and see what you guys have to report about the album.

Guest lunarphase

Pre-ordered the bundle without even thinking, or even fully understanding what I'll be getting. Seems like a 5" and 3" CD with a badge. Such is my faith in Ian Hodgson though that I'll be great whatever.

Wow, mine has been delivered this morning!

Wow, mine has been delivered this morning!

Mine too, it was a nice surprise it coming so soon. Intrigued by the 3" CD, next to no info on it.

Guest Stoppit

I got this yesterday, too. I've listened to both discs once so far.

Hmm, can't quite bring myself to pull the trigger on this. I think he needs to be trying out new approaches, maybe move in a more ambient direction (that first teaser clip sounds promising for this reason). The fact that he does his stuff on a Playstation is fine, but his sound has been pretty formulaic for a while now.

I'd say the first disc is fairly typical MWC (I don't mean this as a criticism, I understand your point about being formulaic, but like Burial, it's a formula I'm happy to hear more of.) The mini-CD has lots of very short tracks (22 tracks in 21 minutes), and they are mostly more ambient, like the first vid posted. Sort of like a compilation of BOC's little vignettes. Quite sinister, too. So far both discs are sounding great to me!

I got this yesterday, too. I've listened to both discs once so far.

I'd say the first disc is fairly typical MWC (I don't mean this as a criticism, I understand your point about being formulaic, but like Burial, it's a formula I'm happy to hear more of.) The mini-CD has lots of very short tracks (22 tracks in 21 minutes), and they are mostly more ambient, like the first vid posted. Sort of like a compilation of BOC's little vignettes. Quite sinister, too. So far both discs are sounding great to me!

I agree also about MWC sounding formulaic, but after however many albums it is now I wouldn't expect him to change that formula and don't mind that. Not got round to listening yet, but I like the sound of the 3 incher. Think I'll be indulging in this tonight.

Guest Lucy Faringold

Thanks for the update everyone. Almost definitely gonna order the gonk edition, but still wavering over whether or not to go for the bundle...

his formula is perfect to me. never tiring; he always manages to keep it fresh. i'm across the pond so unfortunately i probably won't receive this for days and days.

Mine popped through the letterbox this morning :)

As already mentioned album proper is in the usual MWC style, very enjoyable on first listen. I guess if it aint broke it doesn't need fixing... though do agree in part that would be nice to see something a bit different in places to mix it up a bit.

Which is where the 3in Gonk edition comes in! Very similar to the music on the 1 minute youtube album teaser (actually I think thats on here), 22 short little odd atmospheric tracks- great stuff!

Well worth the bundle if your a fan.

Also gotta say im always really impressed with the art/ attention to detail on the MWC stuff. Was always really disappointed with Ghost Box physical CD's (early CDR's/ no back sleeves etc) so great to see nice booklets and full art on the MWC stuff, and the 3in comes in its own little card case, and is a 'proper' CD ie not a CDR.

would be nice to see something a bit different in places to mix it up a bit.

Which is where the 3in Gonk edition comes in!

Just what I was thinking after my first listen last night, for those people who'd like something a bit different. To be fair though, I think the album proper expands a little on his previous outings, sounds a lot more sinister and menacing in places. I think the 3" CD is available to buy separately, incidentally. And I agree with what you say about the effort he puts into his artwork, I find it hard to imagine that Gecophonic is a one-man show given how well it's done.

I've had the bundle since Saturday (pre ordered it the day before). No complaints here re content. Was pleased to see the track used on the trailer was on the 3" CD. Agreed about there being sinister moments on both discs. More so than on previous releases. The artwork on MWC releases has always provided me me with a laugh or two (spoof adverts etc).

Yeah the slightly more sinister tracks really made it for me- its all good but the darker tracks make a nice counterpoint to the more upbeat numbers. You really can tell the care that Ian Hodgson puts into the MWC stuff though- really nice album, and love the 3in CD. Disappointed I didnt get the 'Drop It Like A Gonk' badge though! :)

Same here re the sinister sounding tracks. They sound (dare I say it) almost BoC like. Not a bad thing at all.

Badges: I got the main album cover girl. I would also have liked the Drop it Like a Gonk or 3" cover art ones. Maybe Mr H will sell the set through his website in time.

If anyone gets the chance to, I recommend catching the MWC live set. There is an unreleased track or two in there, unlike anything so far released.

• 1 month later...

Churchyard Style and Celestial Wolf Bounce are fairly outstanding. I was tripped by the delayed birds on CS and the growls in CWB so he maybe should put them on a picture-7" one day with a remaster peaking on the bass.

apropos 7": The piece he did for Ghost Box on their Study serie is also ace. He should do some more collabs which is winding up his style in a good way.

The artwork is pretty pretty nice at all. I like the vinyl editions from MWC as they are using a good HQ paper for the printed inners. Good haptic, too.

Archived