IGNORED

Any of you producers, DJs, performers, hobbyists use an iPad yet?

QBLA

Guest ryanmcallister

People made extremely awesome music in the early 90s with simple computers. To shrug off the ipad for not being a modern computer is kind of short sighted. Almost all of these music apps come with render-to-audio features, so you could make hundreds of snippets, and string them together in garageband for ipad, for example. If there's one thing I've learned over the years is that technology is no match for the human creative spirit. If we are talking ease of use, or in depth specialized features in an all in one package... ok, sure... but it is entirely possible to make an entire song with the ipad, using a variety of apps, rendering to audio, and editing and sequencing them all on the ipad as well. Personally, I wouldn't want to... I love my studio setup, but if, let's say, I went on a 3 month vacation (HA!) and could only afford to take my ipad with me, you bet your ass I'd still be writing music on it, and I (and probably most composers) would be offended at the thought of my artistic spirit being stifled by technology.

ahh fuck off kcinsu you know me and you know i'm all for the ipad. i sold mine to afford a new laptop which i write way more on, but i totally get the ipad love fest in relation to music. i've made entire tracks on it using audiocopy and audiopaste, and no doubt there are some super cool and great sounding apps. it is an excellent alternative, but definitely not a replacement for the standard studio setup in every situation. i think it's more relateable to people around here on WATMM because of the simplicity of a synth jam with a few bits of hardware and a mixer, but when you take a look at somebody's 100+ audio track project and try to imagine that happening on an ipad you'll come up short. my point was simply that tablets will progress over time, getting more and more powerful, but the pc equivalent will as well, and the tablet will always be playing catch-up. 3 years from now we might be running something like Logic Studio 9 on the ipad, but pc's will be running Logic Studio 13.

i get the "people made music long before computers argument", but i don't necessarily want to make that music. as an experimental electronic musician, i want to be making music that utilizes the most cutting edge technology, not simple computers from the 90's ya know?

that wasn't really directed at you. no fuck offs needed. I think the point of what I said was pretty clear. And no, I don't think it would sound like 90s music... the synths/apps sound modern.

also, you don't need a 100 track project. you could have 9 8 track projects that get mixed down as you go and imported into new sessions. there are work arounds for everything. it just makes it take longer.

Guest ryanmcallister

that wasn't really directed at you. no fuck offs needed. I think the point of what I said was pretty clear. And no, I don't think it would sound like 90s music... the synths/apps sound modern.

also, you don't need a 100 track project. you could have 9 8 track projects that get mixed down as you go and imported into new sessions. there are work arounds for everything. it just makes it take longer.

twas a casual fuck off my friend ;)

i think the iPad as it stands now is limited but touchscreens will replace the mouse and be a much better performance/programming interface to boot especially for music production

in a few years the macbook and the iPad will merge into one all powerful tablet plus windows 8 is around the corner

this isn't to say hardware is obsolete as touch screens aren't good for everything but they will play a major role.

I do agree about the Ipad being small but Kcinsu is bang on saying you can make a whole tune with an Ipad. I mean people were making music years ago on just a sampler and an Atari running Cubase. It meant you had to be very imaginative and resourceful.

Don´t believe everything Synthtopia tells you. The iPad won´t change the way music is done considerably.

In time I think it will because you only need add a decent audio/midi interface, synth controller, computer keyboard and mouse and the Ipad can do it all. What you have to appreciate is that there are many young and new producers that will only know software so hardware won't have the same emotional resonance for them as it does for the likes of us.

As opposed to adding a decent audio/midi interface and synth controller to a laptop that is half the price of an ipad?

Don´t believe everything Synthtopia tells you. The iPad won´t change the way music is done considerably.

In time I think it will because you only need add a decent audio/midi interface, synth controller, computer keyboard and mouse and the Ipad can do it all. What you have to appreciate is that there are many young and new producers that will only know software so hardware won't have the same emotional resonance for them as it does for the likes of us.

As opposed to adding a decent audio/midi interface and synth controller to a laptop that is half the price of an ipad?

Yeah I agree for sure but the Ipad obviously makes music making a bit more portable.

Archived