IGNORED

Any android developers?

kcinsu

I'm taking an android class this semester.

I just made my first Hello World! app.

Yay.

Anyone else doing android development?

The book we are using for class is "Pro Android 3"

Android still doesn't have a very 'user friendly' SDK, compared to another very popular mobile OS platform, so I doubt there'll be many here that are tinkering around with it. I believe the learning curve associated with building for Android is significantly more than with iOS due to needing to mess about with things such as Eclipse (which I hear is a ballache all of it's own accord).

That's not a slur on any of the programming types here, but just a fact of the community - this is We Are The Music Makers, not We Are The Mobile Programmers.

had the SDK installed for a bit, haven't touched it since the emulator kept hanging and unable to close the window... would be fun to try and figure all this out in Linux now though now you mention it..

my friend does iPhone apps for money, lucrative business.

lol BAM! REPLIES

I believe the learning curve associated with building for Android is significantly more than with iOS due to needing to mess about with things such as Eclipse (which I hear is a ballache all of it's own accord).

This is true, but many seasoned developers already know their way around Eclipse and will feel right at home developing for droids

Guest El_Chemso

Yeah I did Hello World last year. I'm in my second year of CS and doing a lot of Java.

Eclipse is great once you get used to it and the SDK is easy to install.

Yeah, it wasn't very intuitive getting all of the SDK installed, but once I did, it runs fine. I think it helps to be in a class for something like this. The teacher even said "go and try reading the book on your own... You won't get very far." it really helps (for me at least) to have someone who can break it down for you.

I've just finished a certificate in java programming at the city college, so my java skills are pretty good. The approach to Android programming is a little more complex though... There is a fair amount of XML involved. It's just a different approach than normal Java programming.

I'm pretty excited though, as mobile development is what inspired me to take classes. I wanted to understand general programming before getting into android though, so I had to wait 3 semesters, so im just excited to be doing it now!

I really hope to get good enough to make android dev my job. Lots of work and pays very well!

Yeah, if I hadnt any experience with programming or eclipse before, I image this would be daunting. Eclipse has a lot of depth to it, but for simple programming, it's not that bad... You just need to know a few key parts, and you can ignore the rest.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest El_Chemso

Hey Kcinsu, have you done any networking, tomcat or database work yet? The more I do of it the more I couldn't see how you could do android without it. Defo have a look into it if your not doing it at school.

Not trying to troll or anything, but in case anyone was interested in creating apps for that other slightly popular mobile platform:

https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/#referencelibrary/GettingStarted/RoadMapiOS/Introduction/Introduction.html

anyone interested in programming android/ios games, but not wanting to deal with java or objective c, take a look at this:

http://www.anscamobile.com/corona/

builds cross-platform apps in lua. i've been messing around with it, making some games... it's actually pretty fast for 2d stuff (pushes 60fps with hundreds of objects on screen), and has box2d physics integration... fun stuff.

i feel discouraged by past experience with Java and especially GUI stuff in Java, and i don't really want to pick up Eclipse again for Android development.. apparently it's not too far from iOS development conceptionally though, similar patterns..

i'm actually fighting through another all-nighter for an Android job right now though, it's some stupid we-too-can-do-AR stuff for an exhibit with Unity (unity3d.com). What's cool is, no Android tablet needed, I can just use my iPad.

Archived