IGNORED

Spielberg's "Lincoln"

syd syside

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Best thing I know about Lincoln: while on a train, he finished working through all 13 books of Euclid's Elements, after making his way through them for many years, and reportedly just folded his hands at the end.

We have a passage from Carl Sandburg's biography of Abraham Lincoln that recounts how, when a young lawyer trying to sharpen his reasoning skills, the largely unschooled Lincoln

...bought the
Elements
of Euclid, a book twenty-three centuries old...[it] went into his carpetbag as he went out on the circuit. At night...he read Euclid by the light of a candle after others had dropped off to sleep.

It has often been noted that Lincoln's prose was influenced and enriched by his study of Shakespeare and the Bible. It is likewise obvious that many of his political arguments echo the logical development of a Euclidean proposition.

--William Dunham, Journey Through Genius, Chapter 2

Smart guy.

(doubt i'll see the movie though; to hell with the mpaa, overblown budgets, etc)

Guest sirch

Best thing I know about Lincoln: while on a train, he finished working through all 13 books of Euclid's Elements, after making his way through them for many years, and reportedly just folded his hands at the end.

We have a passage from Carl Sandburg's biography of Abraham Lincoln that recounts how, when a young lawyer trying to sharpen his reasoning skills, the largely unschooled Lincoln

...bought the
Elements
of Euclid, a book twenty-three centuries old...[it] went into his carpetbag as he went out on the circuit. At night...he read Euclid by the light of a candle after others had dropped off to sleep.

It has often been noted that Lincoln's prose was influenced and enriched by his study of Shakespeare and the Bible. It is likewise obvious that many of his political arguments echo the logical development of a Euclidean proposition.

--William Dunham, Journey Through Genius, Chapter 2

Smart guy.

(doubt i'll see the movie though; to hell with the mpaa, overblown budgets, etc)

how does one 'fold their hands' ?

do you mean he crossed his arms?

I can't get excited for Senor Spielbergo, but DDL as Lincoln will be worth a viewing.

Hope Lincoln gets some gay butt sex in this one.

WOW...that photo is amazing....didn't think they could pull the look off.

Lincoln is just an all-around fascinating human life. I hope they do something awesome with this.

very pumped for this movie.

I can't get excited for Senor Spielbergo

why not?

I gotta give credit to Spielberg, he's one of the few monolithic cash-cow gigantic directors that I still have a lot of respect for.

i honestly had to do a double take when i caught Jurassic Park 2 on Tv the other night, i completely forgot it was directed by steven spielberg. Wow! It's seriously one of the worst cash grab movies ever made. Even the john Williams score sounds severely phoned in.

It's also amusing how steven spielberg skewers asian tourists in a movie made in the late 90s after he did Schindlers list and the Color Purple. Oh steven

Archived