IGNORED

Atomspheres 4 - Touch.30 Live at Beaconsfield, London (Dec 5 & 6)

kichiguy

Atmospheres 4 - Touch.30 at Beaconsfield is a two-day festival with performances, installations and displays, and a full programme of workshops and masterclasses. The Festival will explore all aspects of Touch: the music; the distinctive and influential design and photography; the process of recording and mastering; and the opportunities of the digital realm. Participation in the event will extend well beyond Touch artists and creative team into the hinterland around the label: academics, industry professionals, other ground breaking music organisations etc. Atmospheres will be curated by two of Touch's founders and the current creative team, Mike Harding and Jon Wozencroft, and produced by them with along with Touch's experienced digital and live production team already responsible this year for events in the UK, Germany, Belgium, USA and elsewhere.

Venue: Beaconsfield, 22 Newport St, Vauxhall, London, SE11 6AY

Dates: 5-6 December 2012

The full programme is as follows:

DAY ONE

Wednesday 5th December 2012

AFTERNOON EVENTS 2-6pm

Jon Wozencroft introduces "Through the Digital Glass"

Denis Blackham (Skye Mastering) on audio mastering (with artist Fennesz)

Chaired by John Kieffer: Denis Blackham, Jason (Transition Mastering Studios) and Jon Wozencroft on digital and analogue mastering

Chaired by Tony Myatt (University of Surrey): Mike Harding, Seb Jouan (Aecom Acoustic Design & Arts & Culture) on multi-channel (inc. Questions

EVENING PERFORMANCES 8-11pm

Hildur Gudnadottir

followed by an audio intervention by David Toop

Philip Jeck

followed by an audio intervention by BJNilsen

Fennesz - performing new material

DAY TWO

Thursday 6th December 2012

AFTERNOON EVENTS 2-6pm

Mike Harding introduces Touch's digital presence on the web (devices, website, TouchRadio...)

Tim Medcalf - iPhone app

Philip Marshall - Website

Paul Wilson & Cheryl Tipp - British Library

Design Seminar by Jon Wozencroft

Jon Wozencroft + special guests discuss Touch's place in the design world

Questions

EVENING PERFORMANCES 8-11PM

Thomas Köner

followed by an audio intervention by Bruce Gilbert - "Sliding off the World"

CM von Hausswolff

followed by an audio intervention by People Like Us

Biosphere

Both Days: EXHIBITIONS/FILMS/DISPLAYS with interventions from Bruce Gilbert | BJNilsen | People Like Us | Edwin Pouncey | David Toop and others and specially commissioned work from ELEH | Ryoji Ikeda | Jon Savage | Simon Fisher Turner | Chris Watson and others

TICKETS

Festival Pass - GBP 36 Only 1 or 2 left

Day Ticket 5 Dec - GBP 24

Day Ticket 6 Dec - GBP 24

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I picked that up last night. Do you remember anything about the performances? Curious about Geir's set, Bruce Gilbert's, CM von Hausswolff's, and Jon Savage's.

Savage couldn't show up in person, so Wozencraft ended up narrating stories about their post-punk pirate radio days and how he and Savage would take road trips outta london, smoke doobs and listen to punk. The audience were all given a free Jon Savage mix cd at the end which I'd be happy to share. For the Bruce Gilbert performance (he wasn't there in person), the audience were asked to remain in the performance space and maintain pin-drop silence while they played back a short spoken word piece called 'Sliding of the world'. The narrative was about a kid playing outside in a garden but it took on a pretty sinister undertone towards the end. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Reminded me of slug pocket and and an older track by Gilbert called Children.

CMVH played the best set of the festival imo. This is the second time I've seen him live and he always floors me. Oscillating drones and vocal manipulation. Really physical and hypnotic sounds. Geir was a let down, probably cuz I went in with such high expectations. He played a two part set where he did some pulsing 4x4 stuff and a reinterpretation of a Schoenberg piece. Sounded pretty uninspired to my ears. Koner did a live performance of La Barca and Fennesz played the loudest set of the fest which was all new and unreleased material. It reminded me a bit of his older mego stuff. Extroverted, maximal sounds. Damn nice! Wozencraft summed it up as 'transforming algorithms into emotional soundscapes'.

Huh, sounds interesting. Not familiar with CMVH at this point. I'll have to check out his work. And I had a feeling Geir's set was either going to be good or bad. It's a bummer that Hildur's performance wasn't recorded.

Yeah...I missed half of her set, but what I heard was nice. Also a shame that they didn't include the Chris Watson and BJ Nilsen stuff as standalone tracks. Really don't like the way the 30 years of touch record was mixed.

Yeah I'm always going to prefer indexed tracks over ones that are mixed together, though I did think the first track on the comp did flow well. However, it seemed like their mixing got lazy, as after the first track, songs no longer faded into each other, and you could easily tell when one started and ended. Don't know what happened there. That's what I remember at least; I've only gone through it once so far. Maybe the first two tracks had crossfades.

you're right, i only noticed a mix between the intro and the fennesz track. weird! i have half a mind to split the tracks myself. btw came across a few touch 30 related links and a CMVH live recording.

http://www.touchradio.org.uk/touch_radio_74_cm_von_hausswolff.html

Yeah I think I may split them as well. If you're not gonna create a seamless transition, better not to have one at all...

And thanks for that. I've got a handful of these Touch Radio sessions to go through now; grabbed the first Philip Jeck one and the collab with BJ Nilsen last night.

• 3 weeks later...

Just landed here too - looking forward to hearing the bad boys.

khov - is the Fennesz one the same thing as this: https://bleep.com/release/41832-fennesz-170212 ?

No, that Fennesz USB set was recording for the Touch30 festival, its last around 34 minutes, while the expensive boxset recording, is from a febuary 2012 concert, in italy, you can get that one for 8euros from here:

http://www.junodownload.com/products/christian-fennesz-17-02-12-live-at/2130870-02/

Yeah those USBs were expensive flurobox but i'm sure you would find it soon or later via torrents, or via that russian forum..

Just landed here too - looking forward to hearing the bad boys.

khov - is the Fennesz one the same thing as this: https://bleep.com/release/41832-fennesz-170212 ?

No, that Fennesz USB set was recording for the Touch30 festival, its last around 34 minutes, while the expensive boxset recording, is from a febuary 2012 concert, in italy, you can get that one for 8euros from here:

http://www.junodownload.com/products/christian-fennesz-17-02-12-live-at/2130870-02/

Yeah those USBs were expensive flurobox but i'm sure you would find it soon or later via torrents, or via that russian forum..

Thanks for the link. I was hoping a digital version of that would show up somewhere.

• 2 weeks later...

Beats me. I may end up using them for other shit though. So, thank you Touch for giving me a couple of nice USB cards.

Pleased with everyone's sets, except Biosphere's, which is a bummer. Really enjoying Thomas Koner's and Philip Jeck's. I wonder why Hildur's wasn't recorded.

Archived