IGNORED

My first EKT upload!!

Guest Lucy Faringold

Sounds like three short tracks mashed into one imho. I liked the third part the most, the drums in the first part I don't like, especially the dinky kick and tom. I guess it's not supposed to be hi-fi so it's hard to pick at anything in particular, your lo-fi is sufficiently lo-fi. Anyways, had me thinking of old u-ziq and kinesthesia when listening, so I guess you must be on to something.

Guest Lucy Faringold
Sounds like three short tracks mashed into one imho. I liked the third part the most, the drums in the first part I don't like, especially the dinky kick and tom. I guess it's not supposed to be hi-fi so it's hard to pick at anything in particular, your lo-fi is sufficiently lo-fi. Anyways, had me thinking of old u-ziq and kinesthesia when listening, so I guess you must be on to something.

Thanks for your advice. Lots of my stuff sounds welded-together unfortunately; definitely need to work on building a more coherent framework for my tracks.

Guest Frankie5fingers

deffintaly needs a bit of work. but i dont agree with the others. i actually love the weird progression. i wouldnt split these up, just work more on the transitions. overall, i like this a lot and would be interested in hearing the finished product.

Guest Lucy Faringold

Thnx for the input everyone.

deffintaly needs a bit of work. but i dont agree with the others. i actually love the weird progression. i wouldnt split these up, just work more on the transitions. overall, i like this a lot and would be interested in hearing the finished product.

Heh, I'll try but I have a bad tendency to get bored and move on to something else rather than ever finish anything properly. i have no work ethic when it comes to music :-(

Heh, I'll try but I have a bad tendency to get bored and move on to something else rather than ever finish anything properly. i have no work ethic when it comes to music :-(

My thinking on music & art is that most of the best stuff gets made in one cohesive burst of energy, so if you're the kind of person who likes to do tracks in one short session you should focus on that, & when a track comes along that wants to be worked on for ages, you'll know

but yeah this track here kinda reminds me (structurally) of the stuff I did in high school, the way it adventures all over the place & doesn't adhere to any sort of conventional structure. I like the sounds used but there's a certain unappealing bit of narrowness to the overall sound, it's like it's all been muffled or something

Guest Lucy Faringold
I like the sounds used but there's a certain unappealing bit of narrowness to the overall sound, it's like it's all been muffled or something

yeah, this track has a weird, almost grating sound to it. I'm working on other stuff that sounds a lot more lush but I'm not really sure why stuff sounds the way it does sometimes - I guess that's the pitfall of working by trial and error.

Guest Aserinsky

I noticed the main synth / pad, whilst sounding pretty damn cool, takes up a lot of the frequency spectrum. You might be able to get rid of a lot of that grating sound you described by separating everything out into defined bands (it's really easy mistake to do when mixing on headphones, I'm guilty of mixing on my earbuds and then switch to my monitor headphones and everything just goes out the window). There's some great ideas here though, shall look forward to hearing more from you in the future!

Guest Frankie5fingers
Thnx for the input everyone.

yeah, i know people like that too. im like the exact opposite. ill work on a single track forever cause i dont like to rush a song. if i take the time and sit back then ill be able to think more clearly about all my options of where to take the track. my spontaneous music sucks so much.

It's rough but it's full of passion! I like the palette, it's dark and happy and kind of raw. Keep making stuff, it'll even out. Just get it out there.

That is a pretty unique track. I like that it subverts my expectations of what is about to happen. I liked the drums at 0:29. I am not a huge fan of the distortion preceding them but that is a personal thing most likely.

Nice!

There's something really interesting to me about the end of the track starting at 1:52. I think it would be cool though if it took up more of a portion of the track and built up or something slightly more or was just given a bit more attention. You could have it take over (or blend into) that transition from 1:37-1:52...the eastern guitar thing there sounds sorta cheese to me and I think it kinda chops up the track in a weird way, sorry. This could possibly help with some of the structural disorganization.

Anyways, I feel kinda lame trying to tailor some random section of your track to my sensibilities, but I think you've got something cool going on here. If you don't like to rework your tracks, I think it would great to hear one with a similar feeling to that part. :)

Guest Lucy Faringold
There's something really interesting to me about the end of the track starting at 1:52. I think it would be cool though if it took up more of a portion of the track and built up or something slightly more or was just given a bit more attention. You could have it take over (or blend into) that transition from 1:37-1:52...the eastern guitar thing there sounds sorta cheese to me and I think it kinda chops up the track in a weird way, sorry. This could possibly help with some of the structural disorganization.

Anyways, I feel kinda lame trying to tailor some random section of your track to my sensibilities, but I think you've got something cool going on here. If you don't like to rework your tracks, I think it would great to hear one with a similar feeling to that part. :)

Thanks for this. I think i agree that the eastern part (actually a reverbed/eq'd banjo preset, lol) is the bit that disrupts the flow the most. Part of me likes the way the goofiness of that bit suddenly contrasts with the gothic bombast at the end though! I might fiddle with it a bit sometime but my workflow is so retarded that pulling my tracks apart is like trying to play the piano with boxing gloves on.

You use a kindof original combination of sounds.

I think it all fits well together, its just the changing of parts is a bit sudden (especially the 4/4 kick in the 3rd part.

I personally dont see the 1st and 2nd part as 2 too different tracks.

If you would have the 3 parts of this track as 3 different tracks (imagine that while listening) then people would think they would be too much the same imo.

The 3rd part was my least fav. (especially the high note at 1:55 and later melodie that gives a disturbed feeling but thats probably ment)

As a possible solution I would make the different parts melt together more slowly by using slow build-ups or fade inn's of one element of the part that is coming (I personally use that a lot) for example the 4/4 kick in part 3, maybe introduce it with a slow fade in (and perhaps a fade out in the last part because there again it stops suddenly)

Thanx for sharing and keep it up.

Archived