IGNORED

How Hemp Threatens the Corporatocracy

skotosa

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This chick is awesome.

Quite possibly one of the best 5 minute news segments i've ever seen.

She has a lot of other interesting segments.

A coworker said the same thing about TJ and the other Founding Fathers that they grew hemp and swore by it. But our country today is the best example of capitalism at the extreme.

But if we could bring hemp back, I'd be all for it.

anything that is currently being made with petroleum (as well as countless other commodities) could be made using hemp. vinyl records, record players, computers, cars, planes, biodegradable packaging, fuel etc etc. it can be grown virtually anywhere, with little or no water or fertilizer and like bamboo, hemp grows to an enormous size in a single season, it being one of the fastest growing plants in the world. they (those who oppose hemp) are scared of hemp, scared that hemp will change the world if we start to unlock its true potentiality (again). the petroleum industry, cotton industry and many other industries would dissolve. billions of dollars of existing equipment in and outside of factories would become obsolete or have to be modified, retooled. many many things would change. many more jobs would be created, but many jobs would become unnecessary. people would have to be reeducated to fulfill different tasks and this would be possibly be a challenge for them, but would eventually lead them to better lives. hemp and adopting a 100% plant based lifestyles could metamorphisize the planet in quite a short amount of time - yet here we are, controlled to make use of what 'they' want us to use and what they give us. like a funnel, they pour us into their receptacle, we swim for them in their 'fish tank', they feed us what they want, food and gadgets, (most of them psychologically and physically debilitating, toxic, highly addictive, nutrient devoid or all of the above). they only allow exchange for money, (which dominates our time in order to earn) instead of allowing us to have what is our god given right for free. we must support only what is true in our lives and become more adapt at understanding what that means, or eventually we will become so sick with falseness that we will suffer as a species, eventually in even worse ways, that we have never known before. hell on earth, a hell most of us only experience watching the news or at a distance, that many of us deny even exists, but more and more of us and those that we love will experience this hell first hand. it is not to late however, there is still time to turn this all around, to do the right thing and know what that is.

hemp should not be confused with marijuana, they are different plants with different uses. hemp should not be publicized for the use of its smoke (this allows the powers that be to have an easy excuse to 'control' it), hemp has little or no mind altering effect and there should be a clear distinction between the two plants.

hemp could change the world!

Oil and Hemp are both natural resources that could be used well or badly. Hemp products aren't going to be a magic fix all if there are still large scale behaviours of wasteful inefficiency. Rapacious hemp companies could be just as bad as oil companies if there isn't conscientious thought behind their practices.

Guest fiznuthian

lol, i'll be in studio on her show between this Thurs and next Weds you sons of bitches

​glad to see Abby's show gaining traction enough to be posted on watmm ndependently of me.

We do a once every 2 weeks podcast where Abby and I get to speak more in depth about stuff.

My favorite episodes we've done are <a href="http://mediaroots.org/media-roots-radio-breaking-apart-the-911-coincidence-theory.php">here</a>  and <a href="http://www.mediaroots.org/mr-radio-transcript-anthrax-attacks-from-the-memory-hole.php">here </a></p>

Whoa, that's awesome. I'm a bit jealous you get to work with her.

Oil and Hemp are both natural resources that could be used well or badly. Hemp products aren't going to be a magic fix all if there are still large scale behaviours of wasteful inefficiency. Rapacious hemp companies could be just as bad as oil companies if there isn't conscientious thought behind their practices.

the toxicity of petroleum products and there 'shelf life' as waste, in landfills, as well as through negligent, improper disposal around the world could be projected against the same virtual volume of hemp derived waste. if this was done i'm certain it would prove one less destructive then the other. also you have the invasive process of procuring petroleum and the toxins released in manufacturing, as well as the loss of liquid petroleum and petroleum byproducts into the environment every year through human and mechanical error, which would far outweigh that of hemp. furthermore, there are the other niches hemp could fill, eliminating the timber industry and countless other hemorrhaging wounds which petroleum is simply unable to heal.

Guest drukqs

If hemp makes such a great alternative to all these things, why aren't there foreign industries pumping out shittons of hemp plastic products and hemp biofuel?

I have the sneaking feeling that hemp just creates a sub-par alternative to all these industries, or that the amount of hemp that is needed to make something vastly outweighs the usefulness of the product. Or am I mistaken?

Just playing devil's advocate though. If this isn't totally biased, then I'm just as pissed as everyone else.

Guest VECTRON

the toxicity of petroleum products and there 'shelf life' as waste, in landfills, as well as through negligent, improper disposal around the world could be projected against the same virtual volume of hemp derived waste. if this was done i'm certain it would prove one less destructive then the other. also you have the invasive process of procuring petroleum and the toxins released in manufacturing, as well as the loss of liquid petroleum and petroleum byproducts into the environment every year through human and mechanical error, which would far outweigh that of hemp. furthermore, there are the other niches hemp could fill, eliminating the timber industry and countless other hemorrhaging wounds which petroleum is simply unable to heal.

u wud have to use loads and loads of land to grow the hemp though

its still probably better than oil though lol

If hemp makes such a great alternative to all these things, why aren't there foreign industries pumping out shittons of hemp plastic products and hemp biofuel?

they do use it loads in china

Oil is disgusting in so many ways. If I take a drive through West Texas towns you can literally smell the oil in the air. I can only imagine what toxic effects this has on the humans and environment in the surrounding areas. In some of these places it is well known that you are not to drink the water because it is poisonous.

Awepittance, I've been watching on Hulu in the hopes that I can help the ratings in some way. I see this show and this movement as a beacon of light for humanity.

unfortunately the usa is not the only manipulative force emphasizing the use of petroleum in the world. money talks and majority rules. one of the most impacting ways we can invoke change is to be outspoken, to stop unhealthy spending and consumption habits and most importantly, to educate ourselves so that we truly know what the right actions are. all these things can be a hard sacrifice for those who step forward first because of the intimidation of the majority, lack of education in the mainstream and the lack of alternative products in the marketplace as of yet. however, there are alternatives if you look and the more we support them, the more they will grow as a new economy, momentum will slowly increase and our rewards will be many. if we can duplicate the number of positive achievements in the past 50 years within the coming 50 years it would be impressive, but my feeling is that knowledge of the truth will increase by many times as humanity continues to awaken from its sleep.

I have the sneaking feeling that hemp just creates a sub-par alternative to all these industries, or that the amount of hemp that is needed to make something vastly outweighs the usefulness of the product. Or am I mistaken?

Just playing devil's advocate though. If this isn't totally biased, then I'm just as pissed as everyone else.

these are 100% good points. hemp might have made great ropes 2 hundred years ago, but maybe better things have been found to make ropes with since then? you know.. because of a thing called progress? and how exactly does this big bad corporate boogeyman angle always work for all of these conspiracies?

couldn't the boogeyman corps just... make money off of hemp? we are talking about the big bad boogeymen who can lobby the dems/reps in congress and get anything rigged in their favor, right? if hemp were actually better for paper, rope, oil, plastic, and literally ever single thing in existence, then wouldn't the corps actually make... MORE money than they are making now by switching over to it? the theory does not have any logical ground to stand on because the big bad companies would also stand to get more profit by switching over to hemp if all this bullshit were true!

my stoner sister (and by the way is it 100% pure coincidence that the biggest proponents of everything hemp are almost always stoners who get their info from forums with names like dankbuds.com?) actually got into an argument with this crap about me once. i have a grandfather who worked R&D at a paper company around here. it's been a huge company in this area, in this state for over 100yrs. she out of nowhere starts condemning this company for cutting down all the trees. i look out my window, an see plenty of fucking trees. theyve been making paper for 100+yrs. i remember as a kid being told in school as we go on field trips past properties full of evergreen trees, that this company has developed methods where they plant those types of trees which grow fast and can produce the pulp they need pretty quickly. i've known plenty of people who worked there. and i've heard several times that their woodpulp production is sustainable. in other words, they are planting trees while they are cutting them down, and they aren't going around cutting down forrests. to hear my own sister telling me how hemp would be so much better for the environment AND for making paper in general, to say the least, completely disappointed me. i thought she was smarter than that. and i would bet my balls that at some point that company had my grandfather or someone else before him TEST HEMP to see if it was good for paper. they moved on, probably because hemp fucking sucks for paper.

it only took me about 5 seconds to walk over to a computer, type 'hemp paper' into google, glance at a wikipedia, and see PLENTY of DAMN GOOD reasons why hemp isn't used for paper. here's just one good one that completely destroys hemp for paper production- "Another issue is that the entire hemp plant cannot be economically prepared for paper production. While the wood products industry uses nearly 100% of the fiber from harvested trees, only about 25% of the dried hemp stem — the bark, called bast — contains the long, strong fibers desirable for paper production." so doing the simple math we see that 75% of the plant becomes waste byproduct. thats huge huge HUGE amounts of useless material that now the company has to pay to have taken somewhere else and disposed of. i thought hemp was supposedly better for the environment with all of these uses? how does having 75% of all plant material taken in for paper production, coming out the other side as waste = good for the environment? the list of reasons why hemp is NOT better for paper production just goes on from there.

yes i just used paper production as my only example but i feel pretty confident that if anyone cared enough to actually look into it, you would see the same thing for any of these other supposedly great uses of hemp. don't get me wrong, i think out government is fucked, and i know they have corporate interests on their minds at all times, but i pick and choose my conspiracy theories, and i actively choose not to follow the ones that are exclusively concocted by stoner armchair philosophers who for some reason have to all have the same ideas because they smoke the same substance. i dont see guys who drink beer all sharing the same pet causes. why is smoking weed like being in a cult for some people?

<p>regardless of hemp makes good paper or not, its a historical fact that paper producing companies were behind the illegalization of marijuana in the 1930s, they had no vested interest in doing this besides eliminating a competing method of doing what they already do.  I remember reading sourced information years ago about how some of them even helped spread racism to fuel the anti marijuana fever that they lobbied to create. I can try to dig some up if you like.<br />

<br />

I can't really promote deforestation in general, all one has to do is drive to certain areas of northern california to find that they do demolish what one would characterize as a 'whole forrest'. Im not sure where you live MisterE but honestly maybe you just havent seen it for yourself? I find it pretty sad personally.<br />

<br />

just in terms of keeping natural habitats intact hemp seems like a better option. It's extremely easy to grow a marijuana plant for hemp production, far easier and faster than growing a tree for paper production. </p>

Guest apeterlives

Just today New Hampshire was voting on pro hemp farming laws. Last time they voted for hemp farming the senate said they wanted to study it further and delayed it. They'll probably be the first, hah "live free or die".

Information about trees in US is misleading -- US has more trees today than 100 years ago.

I can't really promote deforestation in general, all one has to do is drive to certain areas of northern california to find that they do demolish what one would characterize as a 'whole forrest'. Im not sure where you live MisterE but honestly maybe you just havent seen it for yourself? I find it pretty sad personally.

this is a great point. if the use of hemp goes up then the overall destruction of forests goes down. as hemp becomes more of a commodity, misused and unused, presently existing farmland could be sown with hemp, land which is unviable for other crops in its current condition or is relying on subsidy. hemp also naturally fertilizes soil, so other crops potentially could be alternately planted on the same land, which would eliminate much toxicity and cost incurred through the use of chemical fertilizes. hemp can be grown in rather adverse cold and dry conditions where options are limited for farmers. the plants resilience would also provide opportunity for it to be grown year round where other crops cannot.

Archived