IGNORED

Easiest FTP solution?

Squee

So here at work I've bought a Mac Mini which works like a server for one my colleagues. I've set it up so everyone with the right login can remote access it, I've made it so you can remote control it from the other end of the building, and so on. But now I've been asked to set it up as an actual FTP server, which would have been dead easy if Apple hadn't decided to remove their FTP function from their "Sharing" menu. Now it turns out that I need to buy OSX Server, which wasn't really part of the plan.

So here's the thing... what's the easiest FTP solution/service out there? And when I say "easy", I mean really easy. I don't want to read any PDFs about how I set it up. I just want to register, get my login information, download FileZilla/Cyberduck and be able to login like that. And I want to able to create new accounts for everyone who needs to upload something by clicking the "+" button on some kind of web interface.

Any ideas?

If you're just using it as a server then forget OSX and run Linux.

I know nothing about Macs and what limitations they pose but I'm sure there are some perfectly functional distros which can be run from USB without bothering with dual boot clutter and hassle.

If you're just using it as a server then forget OSX and run Linux.

We're using it as a server where photographers upload their images to :)

I've dug out the old FTP function from the Terminal and I'm now able to access the Mac from FTP clients, but I'm wondering if this only works on our local network. People need to be able to access it from anywhere in the world. Plus, I'm kind of at a loss when it comes to setting up users for the FTP server, because I need the users to able to access just ONE folder and not the entire computer.

You'll have to to port forward the FTP port on your router. It's also possible your ISP blocks incomming connections on port 21. In that case you have to put your FTP server on another port. I always put my home services on ports over 1000.

Can't help you with FTP software. I just use OpenSSH's SFTP these days.

Thanks guys, but we ended up buying a big Dropbox account instead. Waaaay easier than all that tweaking, IP addresses, port numbers, and so on.

Keep in mind though with Dropbox, Google Drive, etc. to check their TOS, as Google Drive for instance has rights to whatever you upload - if it's sensitive client data, they can poke through it, and in some cases, remove any attorney/client privilege that may exist.

Archived