IGNORED

NIN piano riff from Bowie?

Lane Visitor

Around 4:50, check the bouncy piano riff that Mike Garson is playing on A Small Plot of Land (1995) (and also pay attention to the drums fluttering all around, interweaving with the choatic jazzy dissonance):

Now, check the similar signature piano line of La Mer (1999), as it (eventually) floats under the same type of fluttering drums...

hmmm.. it could be very possible that some of Trent's work on The Fragile may have been subconsciously influenced by Bowie's Outside album, especially since they toured and collabed together in 95, in addition to the fact that Bowie was a major influence for Trent, so I guess this is not at all surprising. I just never noticed this particular similarity before, and wondered if anyone else has? i know the riff is played in a different key, but the cadence, melody, surrounding rhythm and entire styling is pretty similar, no?

^ touche.. i always think of that 'homage' myself haha.. how could i forget? good call

i feel like there are also traces of this theme in some of trents stuff too... maybe in eraser (polite)?

wow.. what's crazy is that i've always heard that short springy delay on the kick of Closer, but since it's only audible in the intro, i always forget that trait about it. crazy, i just A/B'ed Nightclubbing and Closer, and yeah sounds just like the sample.. probably eq'ed and filtered a bit of course, but spot on.

of course we all know bowie worked very closely with iggy in the 70s, and i knew that he was associated with The Idiot, but didn't realize until looking it up now that he co-wrote and produced that track:

"Nightclubbing" Song by Iggy Pop from the album The Idiot Released March 18, 1977 Recorded 1976–1977 Genre Post-punk, art rock, krautrock Length 4:14 Label RCA Writer Iggy Pop, David Bowie Producer David Bowie

wow, so technically another bowie homage from tront lol

Nothing wrong with borrowing though, imo. I do it all the time with 80s prog :emotawesomepm9:

oh totally.. a lot of my music has bowie influence through out.. my first album from back in the day even has a song called "Fame" in which I slide the note- (downward, though, not upwards like Bowie's Fame) as I sing the chorus which starts with the word Fame, using quite a classy, soulful Bowie-style croon haha.. I also saturated my vocals with distortion. Thought it was groovy as f*ck. What's funny is that I completely had not realized that it was subconsciously influenced by Bowie until after the album was finished. it's interesting how major influence can sneakily slip into our art. i also can't count how many times ive had to turn down completing "amazing" melodies I had "come up" with after realizing.. wait,i cant use this, it's totally from pretty hate machine, or diamond dogs, or ... haha

Ah yeah, my aforementioned prog influences were subliminal too. I wrote this whole track before realising that the part at 6:23 when it comes back from the breakdown is a pretty blatant ripoff of this Eloy track:

Got a link to your album? Sounds awesome!

Ah yeah, my aforementioned prog influences were subliminal too. I wrote this whole track before realising that the part at 6:23 when it comes back from the breakdown is a pretty blatant ripoff of this Eloy track:

Got a link to your album? Sounds awesome!

Nice man.. I like your track a lot. I checked that breakdown and didn't even notice any similarities. I think, often, with music that we know intimately, we can worry that certain things are ripoffs of our favorite artists but in reality, they may be more just paying a slight homage to the feel, or maybe there's a part here or there that has similarities, but that's usually no big deal imo.

Thanks haha, nah, no upload of that album I mentioned.. it was from 04' and is dangerously amateur lol. we were in college, making hip hop while learning how to use Reason 2.5, and recording into a dynamic mix through a $100 interface. At the time, I thought that EQing meant to almost completely wipe out every frequency that had resonance when i boosted it (basically every harmonic frequency), so my eq curves looked like camel humps. if you can imagine noisy, muffled, lifeless vocal tracks over stock library samples from reason 2.5 with my partner rapping in the likes of outkast and 2pac, talking about society, smoking weed, and being thug while i sang nasaly, out of pitch vocals about random thoughts that had nothing to do with the rapping lyrics, then you can get the idea. we'll most likely never upload those songs, as fun as it may be to show people, they're just simply too amateur to let out on the internet haha. I can definitely send you a link to our new album once it's completed, if you're interested... It's been 6 years in the making. We've upgraded to a better mic, a real interface, knowledge of mixing, better vocals, and an actual style (our own breed of new wave/hip hop/electro rock).

Archived