I was a big fan of Elite Gymnastics' Ruin and the group's work in general, recently they split up and James formed his own moniker.

It's an enjoyable EP, one that unfortunately has become a shitstorm of mostly bullshit music journalism coverage (most of which is linked to in this review, which is the only sensible review of the EP I've read) in the last week, exacerbated by the fact that he's had to change his alias from Dead Girlfriends to Default Genders simultaneously, and apparently this band is still pissed about it.

I figure some of you might like it, especially anyone who really enjoys Baths, who I think is similar in sound and his focus on personal lyrics. I still like the older stuff more, but I'm definitely keeping an eye on his musical output.

http://deadgirlfriends.bandcamp.com/album/stop-pretending

Yeah, that's why I haven't bought the EP myself, it's like at the cusp of being really good, but I love Ruin (I'll probably save my money to buy that on vinyl) and I feel like I had to do at least one thread about James Brooks. I actually had no idea he was Grimes' partner or whatever until recently, just that they ran in the same circles.

This is the track that turned me onto his production originally. As that pfork review mentioned, it's echoes the same sounds as early 00s electro-pop: Postal Service, Land of Loops, Her Space Holiday but with a lot more jungle and VGM influences thrown in. The rather emo vocals harkens a lot of music I and my peers listened to as teens. I haven't quite anything quite like it, or at least as well done. I hope he presses on, I think his efforts have potential. I mean, he's a bit much in his ethos so I get the flack this received, but I find it hilarious that he's being bashed by some journalists at Spin and elsewhere for being too naive in his pro-feminism, yet these same outlets will fucking hype Danny Brown and Odd Future without any "controversy" attached. :/

Archived