IGNORED

Aphex Twin break sample spotting/ID

awepittance

First, if there has already been a thread about this I apologize. I could have sworn someone already identified most of these, but couldn't find anything in a search.

I'll start with these 2, which are probably obvious but I don't know where they come from

:49 seconds in

1:36

different snares from a break loop

3:40
on this one it sounds like 2 break loops are being layered on top of one another
you can hear one of them by itself at 4:08

any experts out there know where these breaks come from?

anymore slightly obscure or good sounding breaks from other Aphex Twin songs.. post them

Guest skibby

sorry, but my vote is that he doesnt use break loops. the one loop in rushup bank 12 is just a snare break, but no other kit is in it. the reason i say so, is because there is to much variance in the independence of the pieces in the kit.

no it's not, it's a similar amen sound-alike though to a few other breaks out there. Similar to but not the same as the 'things get better' break which i believe is the one he's using on Rushup Bank

Skibby, what makes you think Aphex doesnt use breaks? He's said so himself in multiple interviews. I remember distinctly he said in one interview that Luke Vibert was the one who taught him how to properly cutup breaks in a sampler when making music. Plus just for the obvious ones, he's used the amen break in both his Smojphace run the place red remix as well as his one off track for the Rephlexions compilation

i know he uses james brown - cold sweat at some point on drukqs.. not sure how helpful that is

edit: break at 2:02

this one has been used for sure i just don't know which songs, thats why i was hoping some breakbeat expert who lurks here would just slam dunk all of them at once. Here is one that kind of sounds like some of the songs on Rushup edge but its too low quality to know for sure

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWbzaylGzlY

Guest skibby

no it's not, it's a similar amen sound-alike though to a few other breaks out there. Similar to but not the same as the 'things get better' break which i believe is the one he's using on Rushup Bank

Skibby, what makes you think Aphex doesnt use breaks? He's said so himself in multiple interviews. I remember distinctly he said in one interview that Luke Vibert was the one who taught him how to properly cutup breaks in a sampler when making music. Plus just for the obvious ones, he's used the amen break in both his Smojphace run the place red remix as well as his one off track for the Rephlexions compilation

ok, i see what you're saying.

Check out how Squarepushdaddy uses the same break here:

oh wow i guess it is soul pride, in the girl/boy song it must be just really compressed and beefed up + some additional drum hits, especially the bass drum

Oh shit, soul pride is a fucking wonderful break. So many great little rolls to abuse.

Did anyone figure out the break(s) in Polynomial-C? I thought it was a few breaks layered but I've heard the same thing in higher quality in a track from the Super Monkey Ball 2 soundtrack.

Did anyone figure out the break(s) in Polynomial-C? I thought it was a few breaks layered...

yeah mixture of little bops and hits, listening to the end part of the track, with just the break running, I can definitely hear snare slices of James Brown funky drummer in it.

Guest Gloom Nox

I'm not sure, but I always thought of this as very detailed programming on a boss dr-660 drum machine rather than a break.

I'm not sure, but I always thought of this as very detailed programming on a boss dr-660 drum machine rather than a break.

well, I think you then always have thought wrong about this particular track... sqp programming isn't really achieved with a drumbox alone, no way!

No.

Guest Gloom Nox

Well, there's this interview where he mentions owning one at the time and using it for complex drum and bass patterns. I still think it sounds less compressed than a break.

I still think it sounds less compressed than a break.

that's because he uses a lot of single oneshots of the drumbreak on top/besides and together with the orginal break! that makes the beat seem a whole lot more "played" and improvized instead of just a simple retrigged loop of an old drumbreak... (and this whole "feel" & style are impossible to be made within the patterns of a drummachine, no matter how "complex" you program it. To get the beatstreet-beat you play stuff into a linear midi seq and edit and add stuff in the editor for this extreme detailed and lively beat...

Archived