IGNORED

Buying a new TV

YEK

My 50" panasonic plasma is not very heavy and only wall mounted with dry wall screws. It couldn't be more than 50 lbs. It's probably 3-4 years old and doesn't have any picture issues except for a slight color issue in one area that rarely shows up on startup and can only be seen on plain screens. Most likely from falling asleep with the tv on netflix menus.

You are a braver man than I - you might want to look up the model of your TV and see how much it really weighs - now, if the drywall screws are screwed into some of the studs, then no worries, but straight into the drywall? I wouldn't trust hanging a LCD that way, let alone a plasma...

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My 50" panasonic plasma is not very heavy and only wall mounted with dry wall screws. It couldn't be more than 50 lbs. It's probably 3-4 years old and doesn't have any picture issues except for a slight color issue in one area that rarely shows up on startup and can only be seen on plain screens. Most likely from falling asleep with the tv on netflix menus.

You are a braver man than I - you might want to look up the model of your TV and see how much it really weighs - now, if the drywall screws are screwed into some of the studs, then no worries, but straight into the drywall? I wouldn't trust hanging a LCD that way, let alone a plasma...

Well, it's really not that heavy and the mount has like 9 screws in it. (they are big screws) I normally try to screw it into as many studs as possible but I think I got unlucky at my current house when I was aligning it.

http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/TC-P50GT50?t=specs&support#tabs

This is comparable if not the same model and it is 50.8 lbs.

Well, it's really not that heavy and the mount has like 9 screws in it. (they are big screws) I normally try to screw it into as many studs as possible but I think I got unlucky at my current house when I was aligning it.

http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/TC-P50GT50?t=specs&support#tabs

This is comparable if not the same model and it is 50.8 lbs.

They've gotten much lighter - my first LG plasma (2005ish) was 126lbs for 50"!

• 2 months later...

just an update regarding my recent plasma hdtv experiences :

• 3d is actually awesome and i don't understand the bashing. it adds a lot to the experience, sense of space and just generally provides more perceivable details. the best examples i've seen are tintin and prometheus (both are natively 3d though the are some decent remasters).
  • proper 24fps (23.976 to be exact) playback is a huge deal as kokoon was saying. i couldn't believe how smooth the motion seemed in comparisons to 60hz and its lousy cadence.
  • smart tv is useful in my case but sluggish (on panasonic st60), but i guess it's a bit of a dying breed with things like raspberry pi's all around. it's also strange and disappointing that the native media player of the tv doesn't do 24fps and pixel perfect, so i had to run a 15m hdmi and spdif coax cables (cause of old but very good receiver that doesn't have hdmi input).

just an update regarding my recent plasma hdtv experiences :

• 3d is actually awesome and i don't understand the bashing. it adds a lot to the experience, sense of space and just generally provides more perceivable details. the best examples i've seen are tintin and prometheus (both are natively 3d though the are some decent remasters).
  • proper 24fps (23.976 to be exact) playback is a huge deal as kokoon was saying. i couldn't believe how smooth the motion seemed in comparisons to 60hz and its lousy cadence.
  • smart tv is useful in my case but sluggish (on panasonic st60), but i guess it's a bit of a dying breed with things like raspberry pi's all around. it's also strange and disappointing that the native media player of the tv doesn't do 24fps and pixel perfect, so i had to run a 15m hdmi and spdif coax cables (cause of old but very good receiver that doesn't have hdmi input).

Yes, Prometheus in 3D is brilliant - I saw it in the cinema the first time like that and it was surreal.

Agreed, if you know the 3D releases to pick up, they will blow you away. (I hope you're using the PS3 3D glasses, by far the best & cheapest.)

Recommended 3D blu-ray:

Gravity

Prometheus

Tron Legacy (3D/2D mix)

Thor 1

Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader

Hugo

Adventures of Tin Tin

A lot of the IMAX films have good transfers too

Archived