IGNORED

non-virtual reverb

Guest iep

check this out:

http://www.tank-fx.de/

those guys have built a huge reverb chamber and set up a server that accepts your audio-files (up to 60 seconds), plays them in the reverb chamber, records them, uploads them and instantly (well, a minutes later when the processing and uploading is done) gives a link so you can download your processed audio-file in flac/mp3/ogg format!!! :omg:

frickin' genius.

and i have to say that it sounds pretty damn nice too... awesome...

quality? you mean the quality of the 'verb itself, or the audio files?

the reverb sounds pretty nice, longs tails and a thick sound, and you can supply wav files and have them delivered to you as FLACs, which is pretty nice too.

i'd say, try some sounds out!

(visit their site, click 'record sample' in the upperright corner, choose format and wet/dry ratio and upload a file)

Guest Iain C

I'm sure this was posted before... either way its been sitting in my bookmarks for a while :laughing: it's well nice

i meant the quality of the returned samples..

do they get pissy if you try to do a batch of samples?

well the returned samples are in either MP3, OGG, or FLAC format (FLAC obviously being the best, quality-wise, as its a lossless encoding technique: the same quality as WAV).

and as far as i know you can process an unlimited amount of samples.

there are often people talking near the verb-tank during the day, though, so you'd better process your samples at night :grin:

too bad it's not too practical in it's use. i can't imagine me messing around with this in a musical way.. much too cumbersome. it's not like i'm a reverb expert. i usually blot a six second reverb under some of my parts to make that nice stretched out sound, but that's it.

well the returned samples are in either MP3, OGG, or FLAC format (FLAC obviously being the best, quality-wise, as its a lossless encoding technique: the same quality as WAV).

there are often people talking near the verb-tank during the day, though, so you'd better process your samples at night :grin:

the people talking thing could be interesting.

i think the best way to do it would be to request a 100 percent wet signal.. then mix it with the dry native.

Guest DrHat

These things are fun.

Also fun, if you're going for "natural" reverb, are spring reverb tanks. I picked an old one up off eBay for $10 and built a ghetto-ass driver for it:

4.jpg

the people talking thing could be interesting.

i think the best way to do it would be to request a 100 percent wet signal.. then mix it with the dry native.

Yeah why the fuck would you have them mix the wet/dry for you without hearing it by ear first? Thats kind of dumb.

These things are fun.

Also fun, if you're going for "natural" reverb, are spring reverb tanks. I picked an old one up off eBay for $10 and built a ghetto-ass driver for it:

4.jpg

WICKED! i'm looking at this spring reverb kit myself:

PAiA HotSprings

hotsprgs.jpg

it's only 80$ !! yeah sure, you have to build it yourself but since they deliver all the parts in kitform (i know this is probably too newbie-friendly for the hardcore tinkerers like you, Dr:)) it should really easy..

i also recently saw this HUGE oldschool AKG-springverb being sold 2nd hand here. that thing was housed in a wooden cabinet which was 1,5 meters high with a diameter of 75cm! probably weighed more than 100 kilos.. some dude on a dutch forum bought it for 100$ or something, posted some samples of it (sounded incredible for a springverb) and sold it for almost 1100$ a few weeks later!!!! nothing like some quality verb..

the best thing about spring reverbis you can kick it, or shout into it without using a mic/input leads.. or just whatever.. because it's a physical thing that makes the effect, and not circuitry, you can get some amazing sounds out of it by more-or-less abusing it.

nice soundcard by the way drhat. i got one of those too.

Guest DrHat
WICKED! i'm looking at this spring reverb kit myself:

PAiA HotSprings

hotsprgs.jpg

it's only 80$ !! yeah sure, you have to build it yourself but since they deliver all the parts in kitform (i know this is probably too newbie-friendly for the hardcore tinkerers like you, Dr:)) it should really easy..

nah, man, PAiA is great. the stuff you get from them, despite being doable and in kit form, is still serious equipment when you're done. that's what makes it so fun. i recommend the PAiA fatman. once you've built it and learned all you can, there are a billion mods you can go back and do for it. then you can get into stuff like the 9700 and frakracks... watch out, it's addictive. :devil:

the best thing about spring reverbis you can kick it, or shout into it without using a mic/input leads.. or just whatever.. because it's a physical thing that makes the effect, and not circuitry, you can get some amazing sounds out of it by more-or-less abusing it.

nice soundcard by the way drhat. i got one of those too.

heheh, yes, spring reverbs have a live element that even knobs can't quite capture... :tongue:

and the delta... it has broken multiple times. last time i needed to replace a cap in it (another reason to get into SDIY :D) and i'm not sure if it's broken right now, I've been too busy to deal with its crap :unhappy: to be honest i just want to use it again - latency was great and it was all the I/O I needed. serves me right for getting a random one of eBay, i guess. i have a 2496 i got new that's still serving me well, however.

Archived