IGNORED

Questions on Aphex Twin's "de-tune" style

sTeh B L

detuning, yes. microtuning, I don't think so. I don't think there are any midi analogs that can do microtuning except the prophet 5 (and maybe 6) and the Marion synths.
Just p-lock every note to the tuning you want. A bit cumbersome, but still very flexible.

ah, very interesting. but sounds cumbersome, yeah - i suppose you would have to write your parts in regular 12tet and then go through and change the notes to a different tuning? it's cool that ppl are finding ways to work around tuning constraints.

Guest Chesney

no because that would not even be a talking point. I mean every synth nerd who makes music slightly detunes on osc to get a phatter note and to stop phasing.

some interesting vibes in there zemu - reminds me of a couple of old aphex and of some of the machinarium soundtrack

a curious vibe, very hard to define but somehow very evocative

Lovely mate

Thanks dudes!

For a synth with no microtuning capabilities (most of them then!) you can create a sample bank of the patch you want (go chromatically if you wanna be thorough) and assign each note to corresponding key in your favoured sampler. I've never used a sampler that doesn't allow microtuning Of each note.

Aphex said there were no live analogues running in drukqs, I've always assumed the analogue sounding microtuned stuff was done this way - samplebanks of his own gear in a softsampler?

Guest Chesney

Yeah I assume too. I have notes from my analogues in my machinedrum so I can do what I mentioned earlier. Of course I lose the rest of the analogue stuff like filter and the MD filter is weak but it's nice to run the weird sequence back into an analogue filter.

I didn't realise that the sub37 has different scales hidden in the menu until the other day. Fun to get different vibes from the same old shapes hands get used to playing.

Zoe could you u/l the tracks so we can hear pls?

OK, someone else asked for this last night, so if you PM me your e-mail address, I'll give you a copy too.

Archived