IGNORED

Folding@Home

usagi

i've got my 3.4 GHz i7 iMac in on this now. Dat fan noise tho.

Working on some bryostatin for science and watmm.

syrostatin

I think I broke the FAHviewer though; it was working fine for an hour or so until i started playing with +/- to rotate and then it suddenly started displaying a blank with one intermittently displaying frame. Couldn't get it back to normal.

edit: FAHviewer now working normally for no reason

edit2: wait, no, it's just showing one snapshot that's rotating. Is that normal? I dunno. Been a long time since I played around with this in school.

FAHpls

I'm on tha bryostatin too, with my cpu :beer: the gpu's crunching some cancer-related kinase. my fans run full speed at all times. it's a pity it's summer because I've basically got a heating system here.

I don't use the FAHviewer very much tbh because when the gpu's running full blast it's pretty stuttery.

You are correct.

Sucks the GPU slot doesn't work on OSX. I mean, this i7 is burning through shit now with all 8 cores, but I ain't gonna be usagi-level.

Hey, wot's the deal with only getting like 100 points or so for the first few WU's? I mean it doesn't matter because science, but I am confused. I guess I should read the FAH forum, but I don't want to read the FAH forum.

I believe when you first start folding, the system throws various low-level WUs at you and tests your performance (i.e. how long you take to finish them), then it starts giving you bigger, more computationally-expensive WUs and keeps ramping up until you hit your ceiling.

they really ought to capitalise on other GPU types as well. especially onboard Intel graphics which are everywhere. I was hoping it'd be possible to run onboard + the discrete video card as two gpus for Fah, but not so.

but they're constantly developing new cores and platforms so there is hope. they recently released Fah for Android.

I believe when you first start folding, the system throws various low-level WUs at you and tests your performance (i.e. how long you take to finish them), then it starts giving you bigger, more computationally-expensive WUs and keeps ramping up until you hit your ceiling.

they really ought to capitalise on other GPU types as well. especially onboard Intel graphics which are everywhere. I was hoping it'd be possible to run onboard + the discrete video card as two gpus for Fah, but not so.

but they're constantly developing new cores and platforms so there is hope. they recently released Fah for Android.

Makes sense. For some reason I was getting estimated points at a couple thousand and then only getting a couple hundred. Maybe the estimates only work accurately when I'm running on all cores or something. I dialed it down a bit yesterday.

Probably for the best not to push the iMac too hard -- the cooling is pretty impressive for such a compact unit (lol) but blasting the GPU along with the i7 might be a bit too much.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think my iMac loves me ramping up the fans constantly with iStat but one of my processor cores gets up to 102 C without it. Yowza McBowza.

That's folding on low, too.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I'm back into this.

I had GPU problems with Folding in the intervening years which I couldn't figure out and left for a long time but a weekend of curiosity led to discovering that it's because FAH is very sensitive to overclocking GPUs. dialed it down a bit and it's not failing anymore.

team WATMM ID is still valid if anyone's keen to get back in.

Archived