IGNORED

Root my Android phone?

lala

Been noticing my LG g3 is a bit sluggish recently and fancied a tinker with it a bit more.

Pros and cons rooting phone and having a muckabout? Should I even bother getting into custom roms and the like?

in a nutshell, absolutely. if your phone doesn't have a locked bootloader, replace your stock ROM with cyanogenmod or AOSP or something.

personally i recommend cyanogenmod. i miss using it on my galaxy s3, but then i bought a galaxy s5 and found out samsung locked it's bootloader.

made me really upset because cyanogenmod was completely superior to the stock verizon samsung bullshit.

fuck you samsung

Apparently it's difficult but not impossible and there is a good guide on xda

I bought it as it had the hires screen before everyone & removable battery, but they don't make interfaces like HTC.

What about updates and security and stuff? Does that change?

Just run the Cyanogenmod installer on it and follow the on screen instructions (mainly just telling you when to reboot), you'll be rooted and flashed with a lovely lag free phone within the hour.

yeah cyanogenmod is pretty secure. as you can imagine there's more than a handful of people raking through it's code. like mcb says, it's fast.. samsung's touchwiz rom is a complete lagfest. can't speak for the L3 but you'll probably find it's faster if it's hardware is well supported.

Hardware seems supported but I need to do some bump! Thing to unlock the bootloader...

Yeah excellent, I'll do that when I'm at my pc

Aye sorry, just seen the wiki - is definitely more convoluted than what I had to do on my Galaxy S3, which was:

Step 1 - Install this on my phone and my PC: http://beta.download.cyanogenmod.org/install

Step 2 - Run the respective installers and plug into the PC when the phone told me

Step 3 - Wait

Step 4 - No step 4

The major ones for me were -

- Under-clocking CPU when phone is off (thus saving battery life)

- Latest versions of Android (therefore security/bug fixes) even when the manufacturer has stopped supporting it

- Completely fresh install of the OS without being bogged down by the crap that phone companies/carriers whack on it

(regarding battery life, got this the other day - N.B. I've a zerolemon battery (7000mA/h) so is a little unfair to compare with stock battery life! )

CJ_YLgwWoAAdTEF.png

EDIT: Flipping heck they do a 9000mah version for your phone - http://zerolemon.co.uk/shop/lg-g3-extended-battery/

damn. im trying the 'one click root' method for android 5.0 (which should work fine) and its hanging at 'pushing files' . phone is connected and usb debugging on...

I think I might've had that too (definitely got stuck at something). Think I rebooted my PC and tried a second time and it 'magically' went through that time - might be worth temporarily turning off any antivirus you may have running (on both phone and computer)

maybe it's more straightforward now, but i rooted my phone a few years ago so i could tether, and it was a total pain. i eventually got the tethering to work, but my phone was kind of cooked after- couldn't really update anything and got even more crashy than it already was. not sure if the process just wasn't as robust as it should be or if i just wasn't up to the task. anyway, it may not be something you want to do if you don't want to tinker with your phone a lot.

the firmware update screen happened on my phone, but 0%.. and hung.

also the G3 drivers are terrible, i have to uninstall the device every time i want to connect to the PC anyway.. pos

the firmware update screen happened on my phone, but 0%.. and hung.

Is it actually hung - might just be the usual '0% for ages and ages and then whooooooooosh up to 100%' that progress bars love to do. Quite a lot of data has to shift across (the cyanogen OS .zip runs at >200mb)

rooting a phone isn't always just a simple procedure, unfortunately.

the only phones that are simple to root are Nexus phones, as these have unlockable bootloaders (which are usually required in order to root). Many manufacturers that have made phones that are not Nexus phones are shipped with locked bootloaders, and each usually require a lot of hoops to be jumped through in order to root. Many require the use of a security exploit in order to root the phone, and sometimes these exploits are patched up by the manufacturer.

The best general advice I can give would be to scour the XDA-Developers forums for threads regarding rooting your particular phone. Always make sure you've backed up your phone, as it's highly likely you will end up losing information during the rooting process (and backing up is a good thing anyway).

what am i on about, im still trying to root the damn thing, its small files. something not working

Oh, the 'one-click' method for me rooted AND THEN whacked on Cyanogenmod as part of the update - Is that the one you're using or is there a different method for LG ?

Archived