IGNORED

OM-1 Cassette Synthesizer

Braintree

There was a video of a kid that put cassette tapehead readers on his fingers and strands of tape on a piece of wood and played the thing like a steel guitar. That was 100x more impressive and interesting than this thing which is the gear equivalent of a fidget spinner.

Link?

It's a hipster designed and marketed turd to sell to hipsters.

Yeah, once the wow factor wore off, that was more or less my conclusion too. I didn't think it sounded especially great really, and I'll bet you'd end up spending half your life reparing and maintaining the player and rethreading cassettes. Nice that somebody did it, but definitely a novelty I think.

It's a hipster designed and marketed turd to sell to hipsters.

Yeah, once the wow factor wore off, that was more or less my conclusion too. I didn't think it sounded especially great really, and I'll bet you'd end up spending half your life reparing and maintaining the player and rethreading cassettes. Nice that somebody did it, but definitely a novelty I think.

Yeah that too. The whole fad with cassette tapes and walkmen will wear off once peoples magnetic tape starts snapping off and having "misloads" results in birds nests of magnetic tape spooling out and having to be rewound with a screwdriver. Even DAT tapes were shitty for doing that. When you got something that has mechanical moving parts there is more room for technical problems to occur that aren't fixable.

There is a book called Brandwashed that talks about how nostalgia is a powerful a marketing tool: It's like a brain defense mechanism to help you deal with past trauma because it makes you feel safe and causes you to feel that you have made good decisions throughout your life. It also goes into how that phenomenon leads into being part of an in crowd and brings comfort and social acceptance. I'm guessing the next generation of kids will bring back floppy disks as an aesthetic piece and we'll have a joyous time hearing them whine about obtaining CRC errors.

Archived