IGNORED

do you make better music

chim

i do, and it's annoying. right now i've kind of "burned out" with music and music making, everything feels so boring. futuremusic once had a good issue on how important it is to rest your ears, and i think i'm gonna do that now. the times i've had the most fun, and more importantly, made the coolest and most original music, has been when i hadnt been listening to much music at all for days. maybe a week off would be healthy?

do you feel the same occasionally? or am i just not electronic music enough?

Guest awkward

don't know about total music silence. but listening to music that i couldn't even attempt to make, like bert jansch or something which can inspire but not in a copy way, can be good.

Guest greenbank

i've been making even more pop styled music than usual since i stopped waking up to radio 1.

global goon once said that he stopped listening to other people's music for a year/ couple years (?)

but then they also say ovuca was "found" by rephlex doing pron soundtracks and james has a twin brother

i dunno

i think it's kind of a crap idea, but maybe it would make sense if i was super prolific

I actually made better music when I used to listen to the radio when I was in my friends car like almost everyday . It was mostly pop and stuff I would prefer not to listen to, but it helped in some way.

And now that we don't hang out as much my music sucks again.

Guest Alienz
i do, and it's annoying. right now i've kind of "burned out" with music and music making, everything feels so boring. futuremusic once had a good issue on how important it is to rest your ears, and i think i'm gonna do that now. the times i've had the most fun, and more importantly, made the coolest and most original music, has been when i hadnt been listening to much music at all for days. maybe a week off would be healthy?

do you feel the same occasionally? or am i just not electronic music enough?

I've been wondering about this too, I certainly also get this 'burned out' feeling and I wonder what to do about it, stop listening to music, stop making music or listen more to other people's music? Sometimes I really cant stand hearing any music at all but its not always easy, music in tv-commercials, in supermarkets, pubs etc. its almost depressing sometimes. On the other hand, I also have times when I really get inspired by listening to lots of other music.

Guest DrHat

for me, it doesn't really matter what I do, as long as I have some variety. sometimes i'll listen a lot and write a lot, listen a lot and write little, listen little and write a lot, etc.

the biggest inspiration for me seems to come from changing up what i'm doing regularly. get out of a routine.

i'll certainly pick up things i think are clever from listening, but that doesn't mean i forget them when i stop for a bit.

i also find getting new plugins/software is inspiring.

I think I got farthest without a lot to listen to, but now I have too much to listen to! I think its important not to listen to other music for a while when you are an artist because you will be influenced and subconsciously conform for the tinniest little things. When taking big leaps in creativity you cannot be doing the same old thing you always do when you sit down to write a piece. I geuss if you needed to write a generic triphop short for a scene in MTV's real world it wouldn't matter. But so many styles are ripped, some tend to get good but end up converging when they aer released. Thats my main concern. Fortunately the music Im creating lately does not sound like anything I have ever heard apart from some slight non-electronic influences. I think it over some more about why a music is good, I think that helps to make good music as well.

EDIT: Also it helps early on composing and writing to have some very limited influences beacause one can then develope very pure distinct individuality and prefered styles/emotions/melodies/harmonies/timesigs/ etc. This can can be drawn on especially if archived to listen to later on when you become corrupt and infected by mainstream thinking and conformity among this area in which you would wish to excell in in the first place! lol

Guest Promo

I have to say no as I never don't listen to music (is that a proper sentence). Listening to music gives me inspiration.

Archived