IGNORED

A promising start...

Xyloglotte

So I produced a sound bed the other night during a regular modular challenge (https://forum.watmm.com/topic/94701-modular-challenge/) using modal synthesis, and I think it has legs:

I really like the overall vibe, and think it has enough interest to be the basis for a full track, but where to take it? I know I could just play a pad over the top and Bob's your uncle, but I wanna make something more intricate.

Any thoughts?

Needs some resonance/buzz to lift it. Maybe add some background field recordings as well? Also optional effects, chorus or flanger might add something? 

yeah i like what's been done so far but can't really know what's missing, it's so abstract that anything could fit in well, maybe a different section where you take some of the already playing stuff out and bring something new in i dunno... at the same time i think it would work really well as an intermission or even as an intro... keep it up! :thumbsup:

Yeah, i find myself fixating on the double bass pulse about 2/3 in, wondering if that is the place to start looping and intensify with other sounds (it is definitely a  'pregnant' vibe)

I have considered the filler track idea: was reminiscing the other night with a friend about an old Detroit album (pretty sure it was called Relics), and that had tracks interspersed with nice little nuggets like this. Interesting to hear unfinished ideas and great fodder for a dj

Needs some resonance/buzz to lift it. Maybe add some background field recordings as well? Also optional effects, chorus or flanger might add something? 

Hehe, I might have guessed that the resident concréte master would suggest acoustic additions. Tbh, listening to your stuff is pushing me in that direction generally. I have recently dusted-off my old Zoom mic, and done some small foley recordings. Maybe I'll try and sequence them into the track

At 1:52 when the main synth cuts out you've got this beautiful reverb tail... I want more of that! :D

I really like the pattern of the main synth, and I think it would be super cool if it slowly morphed into a more bassy version of itself. Just slowly introduce a lowpass filter, boost the bottom, and make it sound nice and phat, and then take it from there ;D

At 1:52 when the main synth cuts out you've got this beautiful reverb tail... I want more of that! :D

Yeah, one of those 'happy' accidents (while I love modal synthesis, it is a weird, dark-art form of synthesis, and once you start getting twiddle happy, it is easy to induce cutouts and strange artifacts).

I really like the pattern of the main synth, and I think it would be super cool if it slowly morphed into a more bassy version of itself. Just slowly introduce a lowpass filter, boost the bottom, and make it sound nice and phat, and then take it from there ;D

This is what I think will happen. It is a nice intro, and the bass part will bridge into the main track

Archived