IGNORED

4x4 pad grid "sampler" that plays a MIDI loop instead of sound

thawkins

Actually the most interesting part about this experiment is that I found that when I am focusing on only triggering the loops and not so much about whether the notes line up properly, I started thinking about the whole process in a very different way - a lot of happy accidents and different counterpoints and harmonies started showing up almost instantly, which is really inspiring.

23 hours ago, thawkins said:

Imagine this video, only that the pads are not triggering audio samples but MIDI loops. 

that's just triggering clips. easily done on a push or any MIDI controller with Ableton.

23 hours ago, thawkins said:

Then imagine that you can record your tapping of the pads as a separate MIDI loop that will repeat.

and that's just recording a clip (via Push/etc)... you can then of course swap between views with single button presses and record/trigger clips, etc.

both are easily accessible via dedicated buttons on a Push :)

not sure what else you're looking for exactly. again, not trying to sound condescending or anything at all, but seriously, have you looked into Push with Ableton? it's capable of a LOT right out of the box. as much as you're paying for the combo, it had better be lol... there's also TONS of stuff programmable via very malleable and ubiquitous M4L setups (best ones are paid of course) or programmable on your own in User setups. 

also good you're^ enjoying and learning with all the experimenting. that's always satisfying :)

4 hours ago, thawkins said:

I started thinking about the whole process in a very different way - a lot of happy accidents and different counterpoints and harmonies started showing up almost instantly, which is really inspiring.

This is awesome. I work in Live too, and sometimes I will record four separate tracks with synth melodies in the lower-mid, mid, high-mid, and high frequency zones, and I record each as audio out from my midi-sequencer going right into my audio interface. I usually stop recording each track at a different point, though, so say one of them lasts 17 bars, another one is 16.5, and another 18.25, etc., and when they all play in loops they end up restarting at different points and some happy accidents ensue kind of like how you say here. 

I use an MPC live for sequencing drums and my synth, and the problem that you are trying to solve here with triggering clips could most likely be done very easily with the MPC live, which integrates with DAWs (although I have never used it this way). The Live has something like 128 tracks per sequence, so you could definitely get the kind of thing going by recording in your DAW and then drag-n-drop your clips into the pads on the MPC. I think someone else mentioned the Ableton Push too, which is probably even better for doing something like this. The MPC has the advantage of working well without a computer, though. 

1 hour ago, auxien said:

that's just triggering clips. easily done on a push or any MIDI controller with Ableton.

and that's just recording a clip (via Push/etc)... you can then of course swap between views with single button presses and record/trigger clips, etc.

both are easily accessible via dedicated buttons on a Push ?

not sure what else you're looking for exactly. again, not trying to sound condescending or anything at all, but seriously, have you looked into Push with Ableton? it's capable of a LOT right out of the box. as much as you're paying for the combo, it had better be lol... there's also TONS of stuff programmable via very malleable and ubiquitous M4L setups (best ones are paid of course) or programmable on your own in User setups. 

also good you're^ enjoying and learning with all the experimenting. that's always satisfying ?

No need to worry about being condescending... I am literally trying all of this out on a Push v1 hooked up to Live. After trying it out yesterday I realise I was trying to basically explain how I think clips should work in Live without really having looked at how they actually work in practice. It's like drinking water and asking the waiter if they had anything non-alcoholic and tasteless. ?

Ah okay, didn’t realize quite where you were in using Ableton! I’ve got a Push V1 as well, got lots of use out of it but don’t use Ableton for writing/recording at all the last yearish so thinking of selling the Push...they’re keeping it up to date as well as they can from what little I’ve seen at least. Glad to help when I can ofc if more questions pop up. 

Oh my gosh - yeah you're completely sorted in that case. Push in session view will do exactly what you're wanting ?

If you're feeling fancy and and not planning to upgrade to a Push 2 (alas it's not compatible, despite me trying intently!), you can add additional triggering options and other features to Push with this - https://nativekontrol.com/pxt-live

21 hours ago, mcbpete said:

Oh my gosh - yeah you're completely sorted in that case. Push in session view will do exactly what you're wanting ?

If you're feeling fancy and and not planning to upgrade to a Push 2 (alas it's not compatible, despite me trying intently!), you can add additional triggering options and other features to Push with this - https://nativekontrol.com/pxt-live

Thanks, but I think I will skip messing around with too much customisation. Before getting the Push I spent like a year soldering and programming my own control surfaces and just led me to the point where I just wanted something that works somehow and adapt my workflow based on that. Push is pretty nice for that, I just should do more practicing to understand it.

21 hours ago, auxien said:

Ah okay, didn’t realize quite where you were in using Ableton! I’ve got a Push V1 as well, got lots of use out of it but don’t use Ableton for writing/recording at all the last yearish so thinking of selling the Push...they’re keeping it up to date as well as they can from what little I’ve seen at least. Glad to help when I can ofc if more questions pop up. 

Thanks no worries. I am probably a smart dumbass when it comes to Ableton - instead of reading the manual and watching tutorials I keep jumping into customised solutions (applying my programming hammer to the nail of scripting), which is just leading me to build something that already exists without realising it. ?

Archived