IGNORED

Tim Green - Balance 031

Jafs

Recently, some of us were speaking about some landmarks Balance mixes in the context of the new James Holden album.

The latest opus of the series is Balance 030, issued in 2018, and was mixed by Max Cooper. It followed James Zabiela's Balance 029 released a few months earlier.

I thought the series was dead, but the other day I saw this announcement popping on their website :

After a 3-year hiatus, Balance Music’s legendary main compilation series returns for its 31st volume with an absolute stunner courtesy of UK DJ and producer, Tim Green.

Following in the footsteps of epic contributions from the likes of James Holden, Joris Voorn, and Agoria, the celebrated artist of labels such as All Day I Dream, TRYBESof, Cocoon, Siamese, and many other acclaimed imprints creates a truly beautiful story on this 2.5-hour mix.

As well as some quite remarkable exclusive original productions, he also includes eight of his own EDITs in this expansive mix.

The release is scheduled for may 5th.

I didn't know the guy before, but the text sounds promising.

• 3 weeks later...

I saw Tim play at Fabric once before Surgeon, it was a very good night out. I have a whole bunch of the Balance CDs and they are generally very good so I might even grab this.  Although saying that, I'm a fan of Zabiela and Cooper and I've not heard either of those! 

On 4/20/2023 at 11:10 PM, Soloman Tump said:

I saw Tim play at Fabric once before Surgeon, it was a very good night out. I have a whole bunch of the Balance CDs and they are generally very good so I might even grab this.  Although saying that, I'm a fan of Zabiela and Cooper and I've not heard either of those! 

Before Surgeon? The transition must have been like 2 universes colliding I guess?

As I wrote before, I wasn't familiar with the guy before the announcement. Since, I've learned he has released music for Cocoon and has played at Fabric and Burning Man.

His 2 albums are lush and beautiful, both can be recommended.

After having listened much to his music in recent days, it seems obvious why the guys at Balance picked him for #31.

On 4/20/2023 at 11:10 PM, Soloman Tump said:

Although saying that, I'm a fan of Zabiela and Cooper and I've not heard either of those! 

Both are worth your time. I think Zabiela's first disc is the standout, while being the most chilled of the 2. The first 10 minutes of the second disc sounds a bit ugly to my ears, and then things are getting better.

Max Cooper Balance 030 has quality written all long of both discs, shifting style between modern classical and more breakbeat moments, successing in terms of transitions, track selection and overall flow.