IGNORED

schotel ep by koanotic

zazen

vliegendeschotelthumb.jpgunafterwardsthumb.jpg

gardenthumb.jpgcarriedthumb.jpg

schotel ep

download a zip of all 4 tracks (13.5 Mb)

or download individual tracks:

vliegende schotel

unafterwards

garden

carried in your heart

or see this page for streaming or other stuff:

http://www.koanotic.org

4 quite different tracks, hope you enjoy them ... all comments very welcome.

Carried in your heart

Very Yann Tiersen melodies. I think the overtly quantized timing works against it, it's a relatively simple track so more of a focus on the subtler aspects would really lift it up. More of a sense of being played not sequenced, maybe even experiment with a more earthy feel (i.e. as if played on an old piano, duff notes, key noise, slight creaks, room verb etc)..

It has overtones of 'midi piano' currently, but with some effort you can erradicate that and shift the focus on the nice melodies.

Thanks for the reviews

Very minimal arrangements, some nice chord progressions. The melody on the last track has a singable melody, good tune to end on.

Now you mention it, yes I guess these are all quite minimal tracks. Perhaps thats why they seemed to fit together to me.

Carried in your heart

Very Yann Tiersen melodies ...

Well spotted ... I thought Yann's "Comptine D'Un Autre Ete" was brilliant, and for this track I copied the structure (the way it builds up and how the parts fit together) but used different melodies, chords and key changes (or at least I think they're different...). I was interested to see how well I could de-construct and existing track and build something new out of the same ideas. Of course, in the end, I don't come anywhere close to the beauty of the original.

You're right about the midi-piano thing. I tried a few things to make it more natural (room reverb, and slowing down and speeding up the tempo), but found it very hard. After making this track I decided that trying to make synthetic instruments sound too much like real ones is very difficult, and even a bit dishonest. Tracks that are unashamedly electronic are much more straightforward. I dont think I'll be trying for the piano-effect again.

Anyone else have any feedback? I'd be interested to hear what people make of '

vliegende schotel'

I do hate it when people post like 3 or 4 tracks as its a bit of pain to have to listen to so many.

First track 'vliegende schotel' mmm not bad I guess. I dunno entirely what to make of it. The synths are very rich/full sounding. I kinda agree with Wasps it does sound very sequenced I guess. I think its the extreme brightness of the synths that hit you in this track and I generally wouldn't use synths with that much brightness. Has a kinda U-Ziq vibe going on with the synths ur using. I definitely reckon a fat breakbeat should drop at some point. Melody wise wasn't too bad I guess but not like I haven't heard a thousand tracks like this in a similar vein. Dunno just kinda yearning a little bit more from this track. I'd have chopped the brightness off the main synths and then introduced more layers and got some strong chords in there to underpin it all. I think the extreme brightness of the main synths takes up way too much of the frequency range. And its definitely missing at fat beat!! You've gotta add a breakbeat or something because it would definitely add much more to this track.

i skimmed thru all 4 trx very quickly but i heard enough of interest to download the zip

which i haven't actually done yet

but i will in a minute

trk 2 made me think "god i fucking love the amen"

which was nice because 1 million breakcore tracks were starting to turn me off the amen

which would be a terrible shame

in the same way 1 million "acid" tracks nearly made me sick of the 303/606/808

which is effectively the backbone of my (electronic) music taste

thankyou zazen

• 11 months later...
Guest ololi

vliegende schotel is a good track, real nice with the acidic bass that comes in around aminute or so.

I think the last piano-track is really good though, not what I expected listeding to the previous tracks.

The second and third was a bit anonomynous.

Guest tht! tne

i'm not drunk but i like this pretty well

the first one has a meditative vibe to it

i think the piano sounds fine in "carried in your heart"

Archived