IGNORED

Ableton live DJing

RichieBees

so yeah ive been mixing with ableton live for a few months now, and was thinking should i start to dj with it at partys and things, because that would be cool.

It seems there is quite a difference between mixing in my bedroom and djing in a live environment, or is there? if anyone has any experiance with this id quite like a chat, my msn address is

Im 17 so it would be for house partys and shit, so i was thinking some quite dancible music, maybe some dmx krew that sort of thing, or maybe lots of diff songs mixed via breaks and stuff. Thanks in advance.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

depends how indepth you want to go

multiples of the same track all effected warped cut up and shit with some mad crossfader action - dropping in other beats on top of tracks, getting some crazy accapallas on the go - christina aguilera over hardfloor type thing

or drag loads of mp3s in and hit play and sound like every other fucker

mo

Guest blicero

i need to play with bpm warp more. i can't get it to work, it's always majorly off.

i'd be much better off with my hands and some vinyl.

Guest Ron Manager
i need to play with bpm warp more. i can't get it to work, it's always majorly off.

me too, for whatever reason i'm just no good with it

• 1 month later...
Guest dave1980

em some tracks can be unacurate so the golden rule is to always set your start marker yourself and then when your happy with where it starts then click on Warp and Loop, hope this helps

• 3 weeks later...
Guest blicero

so i've wasted the last hour or two fucking with ableton live bpm warp and determined that it's utter shit.

i can't get it to correctly line up on a simple 90bpm 4/4 beat. what a piece of shit. how does anyone dj with this shit?!

could someone please tell me what i'm doing wrong?! i load the mp3, i nudge warp lines, and it goes nowhere... the more i play with ableton, the more overrated i feel it is.

so i've wasted the last hour or two fucking with ableton live bpm warp and determined that it's utter shit.

i can't get it to correctly line up on a simple 90bpm 4/4 beat. what a piece of shit. how does anyone dj with this shit?!

could someone please tell me what i'm doing wrong?! i load the mp3, i nudge warp lines, and it goes nowhere... the more i play with ableton, the more overrated i feel it is.

You ain't doing nothing wrong. Ableton's BPM warp is utter shite. You are correct. Use Traktor instead. It actually works. A bit.

It seems there is quite a difference between mixing in my bedroom and djing in a live environment, or is there?

the difference being nerves

Bedroom DJing = small room, can just use headphones to monitor

Live DJing = large room, speakers pointing away from you gives you a time delay which'll mess up your beatmatching if you don't have a set of monitor speakers (trying to cue up with the reflections from the back wall), louder (so headphones become a little bit more useless, especially in conjunction with the delay). Add in a crowd that don't have any interest in the music you're playing and suddenly it all feels like a waste of time!

Guest 277: 930-933

You ain't doing nothing wrong. Ableton's BPM warp is utter shite. You are correct. Use Traktor instead. It actually works. A bit.

Naturaly that is the reason so many liveacts and DJs have Ableton play a big part in their live performances.

http://www.joshvon.com/tech/rock-solid-warping.htm

Guest blicero

maybe i should correct my statement, i guess what i meant to say is Live's Warp tutorial is shit. all they say is "open file, click warp"

nothing about how to adjust warp markers, etc...

look, they're all shit really. traktor's got the best beat matching that i've used, but even that fucks up quite a lot on really simple beats. nothing really works properly and matches beats 100% right every time though. not like when you're spinning the wheels of steel and you do it yourself. now that's beat matching. (unless you can't mix)

Guest blicero

i wish i had serato scratch. it's the only way i like.

even with traktor and ableton, if you haven't preprocessed the tracks you want to play, you're fucked. no room for spontaneity or improvisation.

i wish i had serato scratch. it's the only way i like.

even with traktor and ableton, if you haven't preprocessed the tracks you want to play, you're fucked. no room for spontaneity or improvisation.

yeah man, i hear that.

Guest heliumb
Live DJing = large room, speakers pointing away from you gives you a time delay which'll mess up your beatmatching if you don't have a set of monitor speakers (trying to cue up with the reflections from the back wall), louder (so headphones become a little bit more useless, especially in conjunction with the delay). Add in a crowd that don't have any interest in the music you're playing and suddenly it all feels like a waste of time!

Add to that the fact you will be drunk & in the dark using someone else's broken gear.

Guest blicero

ok, i tried that tutorial... good tutorial, but i'm not fucking spending 20 minutes to warp 1 FUCKING TRACK.

how the fuck could you possibly prep enough tracks for a dj set without spending a week?! fuck it.

Yeah am feeling personally frustrated too by Albeton. I spent a good part of this weekend messing around with it and I find that one's timing has to be good. The good part about Albeton it seems it that you can more or less get whole tracks to play in time for minutes where as in Traktor syncing lasts about 5-10 secs at best. I definitely feel like Albeton is the way forward because there is so much more on can do but as of yet I haven't cracked it and still feel more comfortable with the speed and spontaneity of Traktor.

Naturaly that is the reason so many liveacts and DJs have Ableton play a big part in their live performances.

http://www.joshvon.com/tech/rock-solid-warping.htm

Those instructions are really doing my head although I totally understand what the guy is trying to do. Mistakenly I tried to do this with an LFO track and it ran for literally two half minutes with pretty much rock solid timing before it eventually drifted off. Still if this is the kinda of shit one has to go through each time in order to get tracks to sync then it is a right pain in the ass. Granted once it works it seriously take the stress out of looping shit in Albeton. Still I've spent like 1 hour just trying to fucking nail this simple LFO track ... wtf!!! I mean at this rate it'll take fuckin ages to work on all the mp3s.

Well seemed to nail an Infiniti track literally within 1 min just now. The fucker went straight to 130bpm!!!! I'm thinking that was a fluke lol!!

Nope spoke to soon the cunt was clearly out of time!!

Ha ha fuck this!!! Its impossible. Fuck knows how any cunt does this. Even simple 4/4 just ain't simple .... they drift off time and moving these markers around is like pulling teeth or having someone run their fingers down a black board.

Guest heliumb

Dude. Set you master tempo to the tune's tempo. Click Warp. Set the first & last marker. If the drummer isn't human, you're done.

edit: metronome, good.

Archived