IGNORED

I bought a fucken didgeridoo

chim

found one in this market stand that an indian guy had, decided to get it.

it's hard as fuck to play but sounds fucking awesome.. i'm trying to read up on circular breathing techniques and shit.

anyone who has one and knows how to play one properly?

Guest oxiactionmax

my mate's got one, he plays the flute so he picked it up pretty quick- tried to teach me the circular breathing but it wasn't happening, good luck with that

Guest Captain Cooper

My friend has a cheap one he picked up at Glastonbury one year. He can get sounds out of it, the best I can do is to shout down it into people's ears. Which is pretty fun in itself.

Guest we_kill_soapscum

accordians are great, don't hate

like strings they're one of the few instruments where you can play a soft attack

i have a didgeridoo

i can play it reasonably well but i can't do circular breathing yet. the best thing about playing it though is how it makes your mouth feel after youve been playing it for an hour.

and banjos are pretty awesome if you ask me

Guest Glass Plate

I kick ASS at circulatory breathing, I've been doing it since I was like 11 years old. (I play oboe) I have yet to play a Didge my self, but a lot of people i know have them. They're made from trees that have been hallowed out by termites.

accordians are great, don't hate

like strings they're one of the few instruments where you can play a soft attack

I like the harmonium better, but they both kick ass.

Guest Glass Plate
refer to "inward singing" by tenacious D and you should be able to wail on a didge nonstop for days at a time

But, the air has to be going out, or does it work like a kazoo?

i have a wax mouthpiece on mine. with that you don't have to blow very hard at all.

we should post pictures of these things. all of the ones i've seen have been pretty different. mine still has bark from the tree on the outside... along with a big lizard thats carved on the upper half. my friend ryan has one with some crazy painting of people making love on it... kind of hard to describe.

i'll post a picture of mine tomorrow.

i have a didgeridoo

i can play it reasonably well but i can't do circular breathing yet. the best thing about playing it though is how it makes your mouth feel after youve been playing it for an hour.

and banjos are pretty awesome if you ask me

i fucking hate that

your lips get all tingly and shit

i need circular breathing for beatboxing ... i mean i've incorporated the breathing into my mouth as a variety of noises .. but still it would open some more opertunities if i didn't have to make them at some point during the groove ...

.. shame i can't circular breath due to the fact that i have alergies that keep my nose mostly blocked .. -sie- ..

What IS circular beathing????? I can play a didge quite well after my mate Harry had one, but only until my breath runs out.

circular breathing ...

from wiki

Circular breathing is a special technique utilized by players of some wind instruments used to produce a continuous tone without break, accomplished by the use of the cheeks as a reservoir of air while breathing through the nose rather than the mouth. The technique is used extensively in the playing of the Australian didgeridoo, the Sardinian launeddas and Egyptian arghul, as well as many traditional oboes and flutes of Asia and the Middle East. A few jazz and classical wind players also utilize some form of circular breathing.

Although many professional wind players find circular breathing highly useful, few pieces of music composed before the 20th century actually require its use. A notable exception would be "Moto Perpetuo" as transcribed by Rafael Méndez from Paganini. Trumpeters playing this piece must have full control of their circular breathing in order to play the piece as intended.

Kenny G is perhaps the world's most famous circular breather, setting a world record for holding a single note for 45 minutes.[1]

Method

The person inhales fully and begins to blow. Once the lungs are nearly empty, the last volume of air is blown into the mouth, and the cheeks are inflated with this air. Then, while still blowing this last bit of air out by allowing the cheeks to deflate, the person must very quickly fill the lungs by inhaling through the nose prior to running out of the air in the mouth. If done correctly, by the time the air in the mouth is nearly exhausted the person can begin to exhale from the lungs once more, ready to repeat the process again.

Physiologically, the process is similar to drinking at a water fountain and taking a breath of air while water remains in the mouth, without raising the head from the water stream. The body "knows" to not allow water into the lungs. It is this same instinct that a circular breather taps to play their instrument.

note - .. i can't stand didgeridoos .. there has been only one instance where i found their sound of any use and that wass from a western new south wales tribe that were playing to a very fast tempo ... whilst their fellos hit clapping sticks and didges .. and made random noises ...

was like fast techno .. or something ..

Guest Glass Plate
i need circular breathing for beatboxing ... i mean i've incorporated the breathing into my mouth as a variety of noises .. but still it would open some more opertunities if i didn't have to make them at some point during the groove ...

.. shame i can't circular breath due to the fact that i have alergies that keep my nose mostly blocked .. -sie- ..

Pretty sure that's impossible. Circulatory works, by pushing air with your cheeks while you breathe through nose, most beat box stuff, isn't from pushing out air that I know of.

well thats good then .. but there are alot of noises you can make within your mouth only .. as your voice box is otherwise engaged doing melodic things or basses and kicks ... so hi hats for example rely apon blowing between the tongue and the gum behind your top row of teeth ... snare is is a quick stab or trill from between your lips .. but i guess ultimately these are all regulated from pressure comming out of your chest ... and a slow steady expelation from the cheeks won't make any difference ...

hrmm ... i know so little about something i do so much .. (no i'm not like 'good' at it .. i just do it alot cause i wanna be 'better' at it) .,,,,

Guest Glass Plate
heheh /.. we should have a thread withit .. if i wasn't so embarised ... i want to pwn before i show it .. ;-]

I might record myself beatboxing tomorrow, or sometime on the weekend and start up a thread for it.

Archived