IGNORED

Compressor-infidels burn in hell!

Guest hilme

This is my very first post so I thought I would start off in a humble fashion. I feel stupid... and that's not something I do very often. Reading music magazines, I get the impression that expensive compressors is the most important buy I'll ever make. Still I don't hear THAT much of a difference between my friends behringer composer (is said to be low quality) and the studios SSL plugs(which are said to be quite nice). And I don't have a bad ear, I have perfect pitch and moderate studio experience. I get a slight feeling of the emperors new clothes in studio the studio world, we have all read about hip-producer-of-the-month who says theres a HUGE difference between his two identical fairchilds. And isn't a compressor just a volume controller that operates at given threshold with desired ratio, and anything additional like "analog warmth" is really just a slight eq or saturation effect.

Of course I'm not saying I don't see the point of using a good comp, only that it's subtle nature might be used to seperate those who "know" from those who "don't". When in reality, polishing your drum programming up a notch will make your tracks so much better than any Urei ever will.

So... do you guys think that the compressor is a snobbish hang-up or will I have to sell all my music equipment and go to law school.

//hilme from sweden

hey i'm from sweden too! welcome to the forums, we need more vikings around here!

and i think maynard has alot to say on this matter. i think he said that a behringer beats the shit out of any super expensive plug because of the rounding errors and "estimations" software has to make.. bass compression with software sucks ass for instance

THe best compressor for cheap is the rnc compressor. Compression is good for drums. They add punch. Also for raising the volume of a track. Like a song on the radio. I think thats over done though.

An expensive compressor is not the most important buy you'll ever make (expensive monitors will be though ;)) Don't get too worried about the audiophallic types that go on and on about hardware vs. software and digital vs. analogue and whatnot like evangelical preachers. It helps to know the differences of course but in the long run the differences are quite negligable, despite what people might be very desperate tell you in a very serious manner. Keep a salt pot ready at all times - especially on the internet, people selling snake oil and new clothes for emporers everywhere - grab some freeware compressor plugins (Kjaerhus Classic Series and Blockfish) and itch that part of your soul that demands you to make music. You'll feel happier in the long run!

yeah i've got the SSL plugins, which are useful, but i've also still got my old Behringer and it's still more flexible and does better things to drums on the whole

s/w compression never sounds particularly good - it's generally clinical, which can be a good thing... blockfish is quite interesting and a bit different

a real nice compressor like a Distressor can make dull sounds very dynamic and interesting - a Manley Vari-mu can compress 15db's out of a mix without it sounding compressed... these are high end compressors which do the impossible

an Avalon 747 is also expensive, but won't sound great on drums on the whole - it's very delicate which makes it ideal for vocals

often a cheap dbx will produce the effect you're after on a certain sound when a Urei or Avalon won't

the average guy wouldn't recognise expensive tube compression from cheap behringer compression - but when you're after a certain bass guitar sound or vocal sound, on a big budget studio recording, then you notice

Guest Dr. Elemeno von Hat X: PhD

i love the compressor plugin that comes with the tc native bundle (Compressor/DeEsser).

the reverb in that pack's ok too.

Guest Last post by

Look upstream of the compressor - preamps, microphones, DACs.

The better your original signal is, the less you have to mess with it.

Also, tape is the best compressor.

Guest Mr. Modular
Look upstream of the compressor - preamps, microphones, DACs.

The better your original signal is, the less you have to mess with it.

Also, tape is the best compressor.

Agreed

I NEVER use compressors, unless, in the one case where I sample a movie pre-1960s, you know, the ones with the shit audio that seems to fade in and out.

otherwise, don't touch that shit. dynamic range for the fucking win.

does anyone know what hardware compressors Autechre use on Draft/EP7/Untilted ? Also Mr. Oizo's music is compressed very nicely albeit its not subtle like autechres usage of compressors. Anyone have any what he uses or what would achieve the same effect?

Archived