IGNORED

Baroque in Machine

plastic

Guest Max Marlow

indeed it is. and i really dont understand why ppl run on wisp and plantre and leave you alone with that.

in the first 10 seconds i was unsure if your reverb will be right... after 1/3 i realized some really good gate of it...

also i wasnt sure bout both drums.. the first dry, and the short hard later on.. but they both fit exactly... i really love the second half of the song. the slowdown break, the fuzzy organ... and the track is not too long or too short... as perfect as you other things... really. i dig it!

you should get a lot more than 5 dl's and no comment for that!!

you know, it's actually pretty good.

i agree with this. i know nothing about theory or anything for that matter, but is there something about the melody or the rhythm within the melody that is actually baroque? anyway, its pretty good, plastic. the only thing i would like to hear is maybe some overlapping melodies, that is, if you intend on adding anything. very good as is. i like how, whenever i listen to your tunes, i never know what to expect. you do a lot of different things very well.

my biggest beef with your stuff is thickness and punch. i feel the same about this track strongly. the bass is decent, but those snares just hit right through me, like air.

it picks up nicely, but then it ends right when i thought it was going to start. i was expecting an explosion. i hear a lot going on in this that isn't going on, but it is still a very interesting listen. the organ sounds are spot on for the type of sound you're going for. the kicks in the first part of the song could be exaggerated heavily. i like how weak, wet, and wobbly they are, and i think you could expand on that, and even make the intro longer.

of course, that might be going a completely different route, because as i try to listen to the sound of the kick, i discover instantly that the focus is on the snare, and i think that is a bit wearing.

overall, this just sounds like an experiment you wanted to try, and to me, it doesn't sound anything near the quality of your other work.

thanks for listening!

yeah, I originally composed this as a 4 part choral piece with the piano using some knowledge of baroque style from my theory class. This is the first one I've done, so not everything is perfectly done, I made a few errors (if I wanted to stay absolutely true to the style, which I'm sure you'll hear one day because I'll have to write it for class anyway). I guess the interest in the rhythm is the fact that baroque usually had the emphasis of the measure on 1 and 3, whereas stuff like electronic music and rock usually have the emphasis on 2 and 4. maybe I'll make a remix with it on 1 and 3...

edit: so I lied, this was my first attempt:

http://chloroplastic.musicofprocess.com/music/crap.mp3 :o :huh::lol:

Personally, I think you could have used a better synth for the melody. Seems kind of hidden behind the drums. Maybe start out with the organ and then move onto a more electronic-sounding synth? I agree with Plantre when he says he's about to hear a big explosion. When you take out the snare, it really starts to build [about 1:35 just after the ritard], so at the end of that phrase I'm expecting huge kicks and wild effects and slides, but it doesn't happen.

Good start though, I hope you continue with it.

• 1 year later...
Nice clicky stuff.

the drum programming's great but the melodies seem a bit stiff

4*

stiff ? ohhh well. fluid juice.

but yes... its a pretty concrete theme

Archived