IGNORED

Recommend me a sequencer

Guest The Bro

Guest Keef Baker
FLoops'll always be my no.1! V.7 out now too and it looks fucking good...

I know it works great for some people, I know Proem won't use anything else but I just can't get into it.

It's just one of those things I suppose.

hmmm yeah, there seems to be two types of people and they either like sequencers like Cubase/Logic etc or sequencers like Fruity Loops and Reason. I think the Cubase type sequencers are much more fiddly and look more boring, but are more powerful, and the FLoops type ones are simpler but more intuitive.

I like to rip out a tune in a few hours or couple of days at most and can't be fucked to mess about tweaking every different parameter and painting in notes all over the place - I know for a lot of people this is the fun part - constructing the tune, tweaking it, reconstructing, going back over the effects envelopes etc and taking days and days about it, but not for me. I get frustrated and bored quite quickly.

This is why I love Fruity Loops - it's so fast! Song construction is effortless and easy and doesn't take too much time. The fun part for me is, once all the notes and patterns are done, just listening back to the completed tune and putting all the filter sweeps and effects etc in. I also like the mastering part, but I use T-Racks 24 pro for this....

I dunno, horses for courses I guess.

Oh that's the thing that frustrates me about modern sequencers is how slow they are to pump out a tune. Although Ableton and my new set up is like 30x more powerful than my old set up; I know that the general sequencing and doing of a tune is much slower.

can you play a keyboard promo?

the keyboard is the swiftest and most immediate way to put info into a sequencer in my opinion.

incidentally, didn't they strip a lot of logic pro out when it went apple only?

like a lot of the really cool features.

the keyboard is the swiftest and most immediate way to put info into a sequencer in my opinion.

i agree! pity i haven't got one.... :sad: well, i have actually, just not got the MIDI capabilities on my laptop yet to plug it in. have to do everything in the old piano roll and i don't like it :sad::sad:

i may buy a MIDI thing right now actually off teh internets....

Guest Keef Baker

Not at all.

If anything they added any.

They did move the environment window and put in an extra mixer window so if you double click a track it opens the mixer.

That might be what they mean.

the environment window

i hate this. well annoying. i remember having to use logic at university and fucking about in the environment window, connecting all the shit up with silly little lines into ins and other little lines out of outs and this is before it'll even make any fucking kind of a noise!

if you want to actually do anything with it, you have to mess about for about an hour before you can even begin to start laying down some beats or shit.

rubbish.

(IMO)

Guest Keef Baker
the environment window

i hate this. well annoying. i remember having to use logic at university and fucking about in the environment window, connecting all the shit up with silly little lines into ins and other little lines out of outs and this is before it'll even make any fucking kind of a noise!

if you want to actually do anything with it, you have to mess about for about an hour before you can even begin to start laying down some beats or shit.

rubbish.

(IMO)

Er... no. You're so wrong it's frightening.

It comes default setup like a normal DAW. Selevt your AU synths, effects, start sequencing and off you go.

If you WANT to fuck about in the environment then it's your option, it's easy to use logic for years without even touching the environment window ONCE.

well, this wasn't what they taught me when I was at uni - i had to fuck about with quick time synths and all sorts of bollocks before i was even allowed to start making noises.

fucking shit uni though.

anyway, i wasn't slagging logic off so much as expressing incompatability to it's interface. and i did put IMO!!!

peace out.

Guest Keef Baker
well, this wasn't what they taught me when I was at uni - i had to fuck about with quick time synths and all sorts of bollocks before i was even allowed to start making noises.

fucking shit uni though.

anyway, i wasn't slagging logic off so much as expressing incompatability to it's interface. and i did put IMO!!!

peace out.

Sorry, I might have come across wrong there. It looks like what you were taught at uni was a shite way of doing things. And this happens because they (for some reason) always want to show you the boring stuff first at uni.

I can write a track in logic in half an hour, and have done with some of the comedy stuff. It's all taste like you say.

The problem is the rep Logic has, you CAN go to almost MAX/MSP detail in the environment or you can just treat it like cubase. Or a mix (which is what I do). The thing is that it's really customisable so you can make it in your own image and then you can work really really fast on it. But people who don't know it think it's this immense clodhopping machine that gets in the way of what you're doing which it just isn't and if it is then you've set it up wrong.

Yeah I use a keyboard to jam/play in all my ideas/music. I then use the key editor to correct my mistakes and also to do drum patterns.

fucking shit uni though.

peace out.

Sorry, I might have come across wrong there. It looks like what you were taught at uni was a shite way of doing things. And this happens because they (for some reason) always want to show you the boring stuff first at uni.

I can write a track in logic in half an hour, and have done with some of the comedy stuff. It's all taste like you say.

The problem is the rep Logic has, you CAN go to almost MAX/MSP detail in the environment or you can just treat it like cubase. Or a mix (which is what I do). The thing is that it's really customisable so you can make it in your own image and then you can work really really fast on it. But people who don't know it think it's this immense clodhopping machine that gets in the way of what you're doing which it just isn't and if it is then you've set it up wrong.

hmmmm, sounds interesting.... maybe i'll check it out....

Guest analogue wings

Yeah I use a keyboard to jam/play in all my ideas/music. I then use the key editor to correct my mistakes and also to do drum patterns.

In that case, I recommend SONAR again. That's just how I use it. Jam in the tune, go to piano roll, drag the notes you want to be on beat onto the beat (they "stick" to the beats), change the selection into a loop and drag it out to the number of reps I want. Fast.

In that case, I recommend SONAR again. That's just how I use it. Jam in the tune, go to piano roll, drag the notes you want to be on beat onto the beat (they "stick" to the beats), change the selection into a loop and drag it out to the number of reps I want. Fast.

Sounds good. What about wav loops and stuff? Does one have to fiddle around creating new loops to fit different tempos or once you got a break nailed can it fit all tempos ala Ableton?

Guest analogue wings
Sounds good. What about wav loops and stuff? Does one have to fiddle around creating new loops to fit different tempos or once you got a break nailed can it fit all tempos ala Ableton?

You beatmap the loop in Acid and fly it in. It will then scale to the project tempo in Sonar just like it would in Acid.

how bout yo hands

Or your dick even. Hell, any body part could make a good rhythmic sound. Lol.

You beatmap the loop in Acid and fly it in. It will then scale to the project tempo in Sonar just like it would in Acid.

Oh that sounds like a bit of a bummer. However I do have Sonar now so I may load it up and have a poke around with it.

Archived