IGNORED

Recommend me a sequencer

Guest The Bro

So at the moment I'm using Ableton and before I was using my old version of Cubase. Anyways I quite like Ableton and I may stick with it. I'm not that sure about the key editing and I've yet to see how well it works with Kontakt but I like the fact that once I have a drum loop or sample I can easily get them in time whatever the tempo is. So any other suggestions bearing in mind I like to make proper tunes and not just sound experiments?

Guest analogue wings

Love the Sonar. I was on Cakewalk Pro Audio 6 until just a year ago. Great, no bullshit UI that's way easier to get into than Cubase. Plus the latest versions address my main bitch about CPA6 with Acid-style loops (they can actually import beatmappings from Acid - cool).

Nice piano roll for beat making, especially if you tell it you are doing drums, then it gets rid of note durations and puts the drum names next to the keys etc.

stick with ableton, if you keep on switching you will never get shit finished.

Yeah but I'm just not feeling how I can do mad break mash ups and other shit on the fly with Ableton yet. I really need an Ableton pro who could show me how to sequence with it. At the mo I'm basically using it as my premier live dj tool. Like I ran Kontakt 1 in it and I can only seem to get one channel of sound from it which just seems really frustrating.

Love the Sonar. I was on Cakewalk Pro Audio 6 until just a year ago. Great, no bullshit UI that's way easier to get into than Cubase. Plus the latest versions address my main bitch about CPA6 with Acid-style loops (they can actually import beatmappings from Acid - cool).

Nice piano roll for beat making, especially if you tell it you are doing drums, then it gets rid of note durations and puts the drum names next to the keys etc.

That sounds good. Beat mapping and easy drum/key editing means everything to me.

stick with ableton, if you keep on switching you will never get shit finished.

correct...I've been renoise for little over 4 years and now am a pro.

ACID Pro 6? not strictly a sequencer (although it has a perfectly good piano roll sequencer thing) but good for the breakbeat mashup bizniss. also good for beat matching and shit. in fact a very solid DAW all round with excellent sound quality.

ACID Pro 6? not strictly a sequencer (although it has a perfectly good piano roll sequencer thing) but good for the breakbeat mashup bizniss. also good for beat matching and shit. in fact a very solid DAW all round with excellent sound quality.

Ha ha yeah I've used Acid in the past. Actually I think have Acid Pro 6 so I might have a look see. I seem to recall you using Acid at the Detonate gig.

Ha ha yeah I've used Acid in the past. Actually I think have Acid Pro 6 so I might have a look see. I seem to recall you using Acid at the Detonate gig.

yeah i was using ACID Pro 6 actually - it's a good live tool if you pre-program most of the tracks and just tweak etc in real time! it's a good all-rounder though and exceptional for loop-based production...

ableton always sounds like ableton.

cubase sx3.

does what it says on the tin.

has a much better engine than sx.

does not lend itself to the wonderful electronic music technique known as 'looping'.

i like cubase sx3.

you don't have to use it if you don't want to.

ableton always sounds like ableton.

cubase sx3.

does what it says on the tin.

has a much better engine than sx.

does not lend itself to the wonderful electronic music technique known as 'looping'.

i like cubase sx3.

you don't have to use it if you don't want to.

I see your point about Ableton sounding like Ableton. I think I could start to work with it though. I've start sequencing with it and am beginning to get the hang of it. There are a number of things I need to find yet but I just created a simple amen break and it was quite satisfying because now I know I can really go to town once I get some vst running etc and my sound module hooked up to it.

No one has mentioned Logic yet.

Logic is quite good, but new versions are only for mac.

I recently had to buy Pro Tools 7, but I haven't sequenced anything with it yet. We'll see how it goes.

my sequencer of choice is Nuendo 3. Its, as far as i can tell, totally identical to Cubase SX 3. The only advantage it seems to have, is that its slightly more stable and i never get corrupted session files. For some reason it seems like Steinberg always makes Cubase a little shitter and sloppier than Nuendo. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they purposefully crippled Cubase to push "pro" users into spending $1,999 (nuendo price) instead of only $799 (cubase price)

nuendo is a good compromise between being very intuitive/easy to learn and extremely complex. It doesn't match the complexities of Pro Tools 7, or Logic pro, but its much easier to use. Some sequencers like Renoise, Sonar and DP look more high tech than cubase, but they are not as powerful all around.

Guest analogue wings

The midi sequencing in it is REALLY bad. But if you do the beatmatching in Acid and then import into Sonar...

I'm really diggin' Ableton now for sequencing. I have to say my major bug bear is quantizing notes is a bit of pain and seems to take time at the moment but once I get my head around the new grid and should be able to rock out some phat jams.

Guest Keef Baker

On my mac I still pretty much exclusively use logic pro. For actual midi sequencing you can't beat it. There are more mays than you can shake a stick at to actually sequence the notes in and if you don't like those you can create your own.

But on the PC I'd join the chorus of Sonar. Ableton, Renoise and ACID are great for mashing samples to bits but (and this is probably personal taste) the midi sequencing side of these programs feels clunky. Sure you can use it but it's just a bit... gack.

Having said that I'm loving playing with ableton to mash the shit out of stuff for fun.

On my mac I still pretty much exclusively use logic pro. For actual midi sequencing you can't beat it. There are more mays than you can shake a stick at to actually sequence the notes in and if you don't like those you can create your own.

But on the PC I'd join the chorus of Sonar. Ableton, Renoise and ACID are great for mashing samples to bits but (and this is probably personal taste) the midi sequencing side of these programs feels clunky. Sure you can use it but it's just a bit... gack.

Having said that I'm loving playing with ableton to mash the shit out of stuff for fun.

Yeah I'm definitely inclined to agree with you. To me the midi sequencing in a lot of these programs has just gone to shit. Originally before the whole in built audio boom; sequencers were for sequencing. I understand why Ableton have avoided pop up windows and kept the interface simple for djing but not for sequencing. I'm still finding the key editing within Abelton very slow and I can't seem to even access the velocity of each note or it appears be able to change the volume of individual channels from my midi module?!!?! I tried Cubase SX about a year ago and I did find the key editing really really clunky and shit too. The other thing that ticks me off with Ableton is that one constantly has to fiddle around resizing the screen to zoom in to be able to do cut ups etc. When I used the older versoins Cubase essentially everything was a fixed size and one didn't have to fuck around zooming in. Ableton is definitely the best DJ tool on the market and yeah its quite reasonable for sequencing too but as I see it it has many draw backs.

I know quite a lot of people use Floops and I have to say for making drum beats its pretty damn good so there are options out there but I seriously think that Ableton need to really improve the sequencer to make it the number one sequencer/audio tool.

Archived