IGNORED

DUBSTEP::::::::::

Atop

Guest Kibreg
So what were some watmm folks favorite dubstep tracks this year?

JOKER - Snake Eater, Gully Brook Lane, Play Doe

RUSTIE - Zig-Zag

ZOMBY - Mu5h, Kaliko

STARKEY - Gutter Music, Bang Bang the Witch Is Dead, Spacewalk

NEIL LANDSTRUMM - Transmission, Old Rabbits

MARTYN - Natural Selection, Vancouver, All I Have Is Memories

2562 - Channel Two

KING MIDAS SOUND - One Ting (Dabrye Remix)

TRG - Hoods Up, Time Is Now, Losing Marbles

KODE 9 - Konfusion (Dub), Bad

PEVERELIST - Infinity Is Now

APPLEBLIM & PEVERELIST - Circling

DARKSTAR - Need You

PINCH - Midnight Oil

JUS WAN - Affletic, The Crossing

MILLIE & ANDREA - Black Hammer

there's more but I'm too lazy to keep typing these up.

Guest blutac

Kind of lost track with this thread, and to a lesser degree with dubstep in general. Could someone tell the absolute essentials that I need to buy right now.

I really like Pinch, ItalTek, burial and Pangea so stuff along those lines maybe?

Thanks!

Guest pantsonmyhead

lazersword bbc1 mix

dudes are definitely the illest new thing in the bay right now

tracklist

Simian Mobile Disco - ‘Scott’ (Interscope)

Ghosts On Tape - ‘Chrome Dog’ (Unreleased)

Para One - ‘Dun Dun (Mofomatronix Re-Edit)’ (Unreleased)

Zomby - ‘Strange Fruit’ (Ramp)

Salva - ‘American Grime’ (Frite Nite)

Lazer Sword - ‘Gucci Sweatshirt’ (Unreleased)

Lazer Sword - ‘Mystery Blap 1′ (Unreleased Edit)

Machinedrum - ‘Take A Chance’ (Normrex)

Low Limit - ‘Inspirational Jumpsuit’ (Unreleased Edit)

Lazer Sword - ‘Mystery Blap 2′ (Unreleased Edit)

Lemonade - ‘Realslime (Lazer Sword Remix)’ (Unreleased Edit)

Lazer Sword - ‘Youth Crack’ (Unreleased)

Mr. Oizo - ‘Z’ (Ed Banger)

Jackson And His Computer Band - ‘Untitled’ w/ The Team ‘Hyphy Juice’ (Unreleased)

Lazer Sword - ‘Jet Black’ (Unreleased)

Lazer Sword - ‘Mystery Blap 3′ (Unreleased Edit)

Haiku D - ‘Etat’ Mike, Aaron, and Eddy (Boreta Remix) (Unreleased)

Lorn - ‘Automaton’ (Unreleased)

Lando Kal - ‘Mystery Blap 4′ w/ Traxamillion Ft. Husulah, San Quinn, and The Jacka ‘From The Hood’ (Unreleased)

download

lazersword bbc1 mix

Ive seen them live are pretty good, but not hearing any of their actual studio stuff me thinks they are

over-hyped but id like to check out an album or some releases

any recommendations?

sorry to be a complainer but one thing that really irritates me about this new sound

is how specific and similar artists like Hudson Mowake, Rustie, Flying lotus and Lazerswords

strive to sound like each other. I honestly don't know who's copying who

but its just trying way too hard to sound this specific 'crazy sid melody arpegio' sound and smashed

side chained compression the whole time. Flying Lotus is probably

the most tolerable for me out of the bunch but even his stuff is very formulaic now

Edited by Awepittance

is anybody going more in the 'box of dub' style direction right now?

by this i mean dubstep music with a large nod or its feet firmly

set in traditional dub music

so far the only stuff ive heard that really meets this criteria for me

is a handful of Scuba stuff, Box of dub 1 & 2 on Soul Jazz, Venetian

Snares - Sabbath Dubs (yes minus the Ozzie vocals this shit is actually very well done and very classic dubby much moreso than most dubstep) Kush Arora - dub elements ocean.

any recommendations would be awesome, less 2-step more DUB!!!

Guest pantsonmyhead
lazersword bbc1 mix

Ive seen them live are pretty good, but not hearing any of their actual studio stuff me thinks they are

over-hyped but id like to check out an album or some releases

any recommendations?

sorry to be a complainer but one thing that really irritates me about this new sound

is how specific and similar artists like Hudson Mowake, Rustie, Flying lotus and Lazerswords

strive to sound like each other. I honestly don't know who's copying who

but its just trying way too hard to sound this specific 'crazy sid melody arpegio' sound and smashed

side chained compression the whole time. Flying Lotus is probably

the most tolerable for me out of the bunch but even his stuff is very formulaic now

they haven't oficially released anything sans a few songs on comps (pish-posh and breifcase rockers)

their shit bangs though

really nice guys

just really all about pushing the pan-genre shits...dudes definitley make the meanest/creepiest shit int he whole lazerbass/aqua/dub/whatever genre

gucci sweatshirt is a fave track of mine..pretty easy to find out there

youth crack too

come out on the 15th man it's gonna slay the minna

Snares - Sabbath Dubs (yes minus the Ozzie vocals this shit is actually very well done and very classic dubby much moreso than most dubstep) Kush Arora - dub elements ocean.

I would recommend if haven't already heard: 6BLOCC, Disrupt, Geiom, and not exactly dubstep but still amazing Deadbeat......

I would recommend if haven't already heard: 6BLOCC, Disrupt, Geiom, and not exactly dubstep but still amazing Deadbeat......

i have heard all of them except 6Blocc, i guess im looking for something a little more rooted in actual reggae dub

not just 'dub' in general, the term seems to mean a lot of things these days like Deadbeat i wouldn't put in the same category as what im looking for.

Guest Soothsayer

For the more authentic "dub" sounding dubstep, I'd recommend the following folks...

RSD

L.D.

L.V.(yes, these are 3 different producers, hahah)

OSC(I know I've recommended them to you before...)

Matty G(a lot of his full album has that vibe, imo, as well as his installments in the WAR series)

If I think of more I'll post 'em. There are plenty of individual tracks by other producers to recommend as well(for instance, Skream's "Dutch Flowers").

and imo, Disrupt is a very good suggestion. Since you mentioned that you've checked that out before, I'm curious how you didn't find that to be more authentic? It's a hell of a lot more authentic than any Scuba track I can think of, really any of the Jahtari stuff is.

For the more authentic "dub" sounding dubstep, I'd recommend the following folks...

RSD

L.D.

L.V.(yes, these are 3 different producers, hahah)

OSC(I know I've recommended them to you before...)

Matty G(a lot of his full album has that vibe, imo, as well as his installments in the WAR series)

If I think of more I'll post 'em. There are plenty of individual tracks by other producers to recommend as well(for instance, Skream's "Dutch Flowers").

and imo, Disrupt is a very good suggestion. Since you mentioned that you've checked that out before, I'm curious how you didn't find that to be more authentic? It's a hell of a lot more authentic than any Scuba track I can think of, really any of the Jahtari stuff is.

my mistake, yes disrupt is very authentic but not quite what im looking for either

but yeah i mainly meant Geiom & Deadbeat are too far away from what im looking for

Guest Soothsayer

ah, gotcha, and definitely agreed about Geiom(hehehe, I think atop's just got a real soft spot for that guy)

Clouds is another recommendation for dubby stuff. Esp. their track "Elders"(I think you'd love that song, actually)

Guest Soothsayer

A lot of different sources, really. Dubstepforum's a good place to keep versed on what's coming out, and esp. on what will probably never come out, hehe. Also a goldmine to get mixes for more exclusive stuff. Mixes are usually a pretty good way to find out about new producers and find new material

Also through filesharing and trying to schmooze producers, that leads to getting to hear new stuff.

mmmmm, Clouds!

for me, Matty G's sound encompasses so much that he is one of the hardest musicians to categorize....

and yes, I think 'Island Noise' by Geiom is one the best records I have ever heard....in a world of wah'd out bass, it takes some balls to just use the tones and rely on composition, and he does it amazingly well.....

Edited by Atop

agreed about Island Noise being one of the top tier dubstep albums, i was just i guess being a picky bastard by saying it wasnt quite what i was looking for in terms of classic dub sounding dubstep.

I just checked out the new Rupture mix a little closer (due to reids prompting) and i think for the most part this is very close to what im looking for. Ive been investigating the artists who appear on it to try and find lps or eps but the ones i like the most are hard to find information or music by.

Edited by Awepittance

Guest Soothsayer

That Elders track I recommended by Clouds is on that Rupture mix...I have the full single w/remixes if ya want it

will check it...

and back on the dub note...

'Blue Eyez' by Skream is the most dubbinest dubstep I can think of.....

JAH!

fantastic track, this one and one of their Box of Dub cuts is excellent. I wish skream made more music like this.

Guest Al Hounos

fuck i can't stop playin the Joker mix. i was skipping through it to try and figure out the best part but it's all so good. the songs at 8, 10:30, 13:30, 21:00, 23, and 27 mins do stand out though...

:ok:

in other words, bump

Edited by Al Hounos

Guest pantsonmyhead

still totally geeked on joker myself

the joker and dexplicit mix for numbers by jackmaster is fuggin awesome

played with Bass Science last night

they definitely had a few bangers hidden away..hadn't felt anything i heard until last night

lazer sword dropped a bunch of dubstep-esque stuff last night too

banginnn

Edited by pantsonmyhead

Guest Soothsayer

I should have bumped this thread long ago to mention the awesomeness of that link posted ^

It's a new dubstep night taking place in Austin, created by watmm's own atop(aka MC Willy C. Wobble), Bronchuseven(DJ Sriracha) and myself(DJ Cal Cutta). Anyone interested should venture on down to our opening night, February 12th at Elysium(7th and Red River in Austin).

Also, I'm playing with the Weight crew in Austin on the 4th, at Plush(also 7th and Red River).