IGNORED

can i put XP Home on a dual core ?

Guest we_kill_soapscum

Guest we_kill_soapscum

this laptop rules. vista doesnt. its ruining fucking everything.

i have xp home...if i roll back, will it be able to understand the hardware inside? how might i figure out if there will be problemos?

<3

Make sure you create a recovery disk first. Once you install XP, you will not be able to boot to Vista until you install a program to fiddle with the master boot record. MAKE SURE YOUR HARDWARE HAS XP DRIVERS!!! I can't stress this enough.

I wanted to dual boot on my wife's HP tablet, and the network adapter didn't have any XP drivers, so no internet, hence I couldn't download the program I needed to fix the master boot record.

There's a good walk-through here:

http://lifehacker.com/software/dual-boot/d...a-pc-248936.php

• 2 weeks later...

JESUS CHRIST STOP RIGHT NOW

go to (anytorrentsite).com and get a copy of Xp Corp SP2, put that on it.

chenGods an idiot, dont listen to hiim, reformat it and install xp, fuck the fuck out of vista dont make a backup of your recovery discs either, if you want, pm me with your laptops model number and ill make a zip of all the drivers.

im sorry chen, you arent an idiot

JESUS CHRIST STOP RIGHT NOW

go to (anytorrentsite).com and get a copy of Xp Corp SP2, put that on it.

chenGods an idiot, dont listen to hiim, reformat it and install xp, fuck the fuck out of vista dont make a backup of your recovery discs either, if you want, pm me with your laptops model number and ill make a zip of all the drivers.

im sorry chen, you arent an idiot

Guest Dr. Elemeno von Hat X: PhD

if you do this the second core will detonate

a lil extreme if you ask me, but you know how this DRM shit is

Guest greenbank

i just did this on an HP2500 series laptop and it works fine, took a bit to get rid of all the yellow exclamations in device manager but after about 8hrs of effort XP was fully there and all the hardware working. i went from vista media centre edition to XP pro. for me so far the vista pros are: ace search, finally a 'no to all' option so file copying is much better, uhmmm.... oh and i did quite like pressing one button to turn the laptop into entertainment centre.

downsides: crashed a lot, took an hour off the battery life, rubbish at reconnecting to the net. on XP i close the lid on a webpage, re-open and it reconnects fast and without prompting, vista took me telling it almost every time and took much longer. i recommend XP over vista just now, do it! do save the vista install shite as then you can dump the system back to it if the laptop goes wrong and needs to go back and also vista should get better sometime so you may want it.

i would use vista if modplug and all the plugins i use worked as well as they do in xp and if switching off the fancy pish gave me back the hour of battery.

vista is probably the biggest backleap in technology ive ever seen. it actually makes your computers performance shit.im getting xp booted up as soon as my dad gets back, ive even been thinkin about something along the lines of linux. not sure how smart you have to be to use linux

Guest Idiron

my mate was installing a vista crack on his workmates pcs for £20 a pop. 90% of them rang him up a few days later demanding XP back. pwn!

some of the hardware doesn't have drivers. My girl's laptop was released in February of this year, designed specifically with vista in mind.

It really does suck.

Not all systems will have problems. If you "upgraded" to vista, on an older system, you should be able to re-format with XP no problem...

ok. no

theres no "vista specific" hardware, the whole idea is ludicrous if you cant get something to work in xp that worked in vista, youre doing it wrong.

that's what i thought... unless there's some super duper duo core hardware that comes with the new pc that doesn't have drivers in xp.

i need a new lappy, but they all fucking come with vista now.

ok. no

theres no "vista specific" hardware, the whole idea is ludicrous if you cant get something to work in xp that worked in vista, youre doing it wrong.

Well you tell that to broadcom and tell them to fix that goddamned network controller. Cause it doesn't fucking work.

you obviously have internet. get xp pro copr sp2, its the cleanest, most reliable version of windows and you dont have to fuck with wga

This is true.

ok. no

Well you tell that to broadcom and tell them to fix that goddamned network controller. Cause it doesn't fucking work.

thats fucked up that it wont work, have you contacted hp support?

Nope. I don't care anymore. And neither does the missus.

So fuck it.

Besides it's a hassle to deal with tech support in Korean.

Guest earlgrey
vista is probably the biggest backleap in technology ive ever seen. it actually makes your computers performance shit.

Dunno, the various Windows programs prior to '95 were appalling ... egad! Slow, resource-hungry frontends that ripped off other GUIs THAT WERE AT LEAST ACTUALLY OPERATING SYSTEMS! And there was bugger all software made for Windows at the time either, so it was basically a way to cripple your computer and run DOS programs with a mouse.

ive even been thinkin about something along the lines of linux. not sure how smart you have to be to use linux

Cool, do it. As far as I know, you no longer have to be particularly tech-savvy to use Linux - it's got a nice friendly GUI and there are huge communities online for helping you out if you have problems or need drivers etc.

Archived