IGNORED

block sunday 5

Guest tht tne

Guest Helper ET

Hehe, I like it. It kind of sounds like it came out of the 80's or something. I like the melodies over the chords.

Guest tht! tne

thanks for the nice feedback guys

i feel like the melody is a little dull and the breakdown could be tighter

hopefully i'm gonna be shredding arpeggios all over this

Guest tht! tne
go import some of your own sounds or sample some in the sampleditor, add vst(i) and start ballin' out of control.

i'm still not really sure about what vst(i)s do and how to get them

i want to use some different samples too but not homemade ones made by me do you recommend sample CDs?

go to http://www.hitsquad.com/smm/win95/PLUGINS_VSTI/ and get some free vst.synths to experiment with

i'm not familiar with the renoise interface... do you have a midi keyboard to bash at..?

anyway

this one is free and looks pretty straight forward... http://www.hitsquad.com/smm/programs/Impulse/

find a nice preset then muck about with the ADSR envelope to get a grasp of shaping the sound then fiddle about with other nobs... there must be something in wiki about synthesis that you could refer to while experimenting...

there's a whole bunch of fx there as well .. http://www.hitsquad.com/smm/win95/PLUGINS_VST/

keep on trucking

I like the chords. Glad to hear some actual tracks of yours. Liking this vibe; reminds me of Karate Kid music. Nothing wrong with some nice cheesy chords. :grin: Be eager to hear how your stuff develops.

haha, wah guitar at the end.

Try adding some effects and reverb and delay and shiz to the melody, so it doesnt sound quite so nintendowy. Unless thats the way you want it.

Guest tht! tne

yeah it is just a little thing for me to practice guitar over

my next track should incorporate some vsts once i figure out how to use them

or i might just sample timestretches and buffer overrides from other records and sprinkle liberally

edit: i put some pointer clicks in there to give the impression of opening and closing windows corresponding to the different measures

but i forgot to do it all through that did seem a novel idea though and a very rough approximation of glitchiness since i'm just beginning

sounds great for a beginner track... like was stated before, i think you'll make some much better stuff once you've got your own sounds/other samples going.

send me a PM if you want any advice on VSTs and the like... i love this whole music making stuff so much i'm always happy to share info, knowledge, do whatever i can to help...

great when the beat comes in. i'd like it to have more punch tho, more high freqs. 0:40 is a hot spot too with the other melody, don't like how it stops speeding tho.

good start anyway, i like the playfulness and the sound of the synths.

not bad considering what you're working with. Why don't you want to use homemade samples though? Homemade samples add that "professional" quality that your track lacks (NO OFFENSE!!!) Also, listen to LUDD about the VST's, they are absolutely indispensable with a program like Renoise. I just started using Renoise last week myself, and have amassed a pretty large collection of VST's coutisy of the links presented in the "Mosca's free plugin list" thread. Check em out. All you have to do is create a VST folder wherever you want (the Renoise directory isnt a bad idea), and make sure you put all your vst files there (VST files usually end in .dll). Open Renoise, go to EDIT, then PREFERENCES, then click on (near the bottom of the box) the VST/Misc box. Then, once that is open, near the top, you'll see a place to tell Renoise where your VST directory is. Simple.

Guest tht! tne
Why don't you want to use homemade samples though?

well i like the sounds already available from the different drum machines

and i don't have a good enough drum kit to really sample it

it'll be a long time 'til i can afford the roland v-drums i want

edit: i agree, my tracks aren't professional quality yet

i almost didn't post them but i want to be critiqued musically

Why don't you want to use homemade samples though?

well i like the sounds already available from the different drum machines

and i don't have a good enough drum kit to really sample it

it'll be a long time 'til i can afford the roland v-drums i want

edit: i agree, my tracks aren't professional quality yet

i almost didn't post them but i want to be critiqued musically

They don't have to be professional quality to post man. Don't let THAT stop you!

well i certainly hope this is an unfinished track, because if it's finished then you've got a fundamental lapse in judgment when it comes to making music =D

where to start? hmmm... the beat. i keep waiting for it to take off, as you've got the little two note thing drilled into your head, and the baseline is certainly peppy enough to induce headnodding... the groove from 12 seconds in to 29 seconds in is solid, however instead of progressing, the drums just kind of kitch while the track breaks down to that two note thing (and i have to toss in that i've left this track on instant-replay in winamp and those two notes are really digging into my head in a bad way... do something with them otherwise you're going to remain inherently limited there)...

after the hitches when you stop the beat entirely, i mean, it's kind of anticlimactic, but then you do it 2-3 more times with that one bassline note stretched out while those TWO FUCKING NOTES DRILL INTO MY HEAD YEEEARRRGHHHh

you've got a solid groove for the "main course" of the track... i'd suggest accentuating it, building up to some sort of cresendo, then of course having a "B" part or a harmony or whatever you want to call it... give the track another side, because that way when you do a kill or a stretched note and reprise the main groove it'll have more of an effect.

but first and foremost, FOR FUCK'S SAKE GET RID OF THOSE TWO FUCKING NOTES#@$@#

anyways i'm sure this will be received as a condescending putdown shit-talk or something, but in reality i tried to tell you all i think i know in the spirit of making a vastly superior track. i really shouldn't be wholesaling my musical theory, as it would be wise to keep the "formula" as it were fresh and new for myself, but still i can't help myself... go forth and do better, man, cuz as you duly noted you've got quite a long way to go

Archived