IGNORED

Girl Talk - HONOR AMONG THIEVES

Guest Tacopunch

MFIX9505.jpg

New Girl Talk tape on Must Finish that Cex (High Wizard of Must Finish) is being very mum about the contents. I'll let you know how it sounds once mine winds it's way to me.

Cex on Honor Among Theives from his Blog

MFIX9505 is the other tape. I've been in so many cruise-ship-like situations lately where I couldn't stop imagining something like this existing that it was just impossible not to help it come into being. Other than that, HAT is just too damn deep to discuss without at least one genius jomo present: you're just going to have to get the primary text before we discuss it any further. Believe me, I really want to give you some more hints about the things hidden in this tape but it just wouldn't be as classy as letting you explore it fresh on your own, and I'll be damned if I let anybody call me anything less than classy.

Got this bad boy in the mail yesterday. It's hard ass slowed down hip hop. Imagine DJ Screw vs Techno Animal or Dalek with super chopped up digital harshness.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
We'd like to think Kidwell is calling out Gregg Gillis' pussy-footed rap fetishizing with Thieves. Gillis' biggest crime as Girl Talk doesn't reduce to licensing or money. It's that he strips the black anger from rap. How uncomfortable would it be if Gillis dropped a Menace Clan cut into a party mash-up? This isn't to give a pass to Menace Clan, but Gillis puts his own safe, sanitized interpretation of rap onto his laptop pedestal--he's made it white in a way no number of ironic mash-ups could ever do, or no number of lawyers could ever undo. We're glad Kidwell was trailing behind, picking up the scraps. Someone had to do it.

I don't think Afrika Bambaataa would be too happy with the idea that hip-hop has to have "black anger" in it. I think Girl Talk is right in the tradition of true hip-hop culture, insofar as he is focusing on having a good party and getting people off their asses to dance (at least from the descriptions of his live shows). He yells out party chants & everything.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the article, but I feel more like the author of the article is misunderstanding Cex.

Guest Soothsayer

I'd say the basic message in that article is accurate...Greg Gillis does have a knack for finding only the superficiality in hip hop in just about everything he does.

That article was obviously written by a white person. This tape is probably trash too. Girl Talk is good, and saying that he has taken 'black-anger' out of hiphop is ridiculous. Why does hiphop need anger? Isn't that like, the exact opposite of what music is about?

Guest Soothsayer

beneboi: You're speaking in absolutes. Sure hip hop shouldn't just be "black anger", but there certainly is that element involved, Girl Talk hasn't shied away from using tracks that showcase that kind of anger, as well.

With that said, I agree with just about everything else you said(article being written by a white person, Girl Talk being good, and that tape probably being garbage).

And why does hip hop need anger and racial tension? Brand Nubian would have been terrible w/o it...

Guest titsworth_courier
I don't think Afrika Bambaataa would be too happy with the idea that hip-hop has to have "black anger" in it.

why? granted, he does try to stay positive, but the zulu nation was all about bettering the (BLACK, INNER CITY) community. it's not like anger is a foreign concept to the man. black frustration is probably more apt.

I think Girl Talk is right in the tradition of true hip-hop culture

via cheap laughs and opportunistic exploitation...? :embrassed:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the article, but I feel more like the author of the article is misunderstanding Cex.

i'd love to get his thoughts on it but i don't think he's officially owned up to being directly behind this fake girl talk album.

Guest titsworth_courier
This post is obviously written by a white person. That tape is probably trash too. Girl Talk is good, and saying that him taking 'black-anger' out of hiphop is a bad thing is ridiculous. Why does hiphop need anger? Isn't that like, the exact opposite of what music is about?

I don't think Afrika Bambaataa would be too happy with the idea that hip-hop has to have "black anger" in it.

why? granted, he does try to stay positive, but the zulu nation was all about bettering the (BLACK, INNER CITY) community. it's not like anger is a foreign concept to the man. black frustration is probably more apt.

Sure he was probably angry as hell, but I don't think he had a strictly black inner-city agenda. That was just the community where it started at. But it's a world party!

I think Girl Talk is right in the tradition of true hip-hop culture

via cheap laughs and opportunistic exploitation...? :embrassed:

Who is he exploiting exactly? I just hear some fun and funny mashups. I don't think his use of samples is anywhere near a rip-off as Diddy's.

Archived