IGNORED

BOSS DR-880 Drum Machine, your thoughts?

Guest tbio2007

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
lol if you don't think you can reproduce a drum machine on a computer I think you need ITT Technical Institute.

If you notice, I didn't say that. I said you cannot reproduce what is written. If you have ever worked with a large amount of hardware, you will write very different music than what you write with a computer.

most hardware has midi out and most software has midi in

therefore you can reproduce whats written in the h/w into the s/w and visa versa

lol if you don't think you can reproduce a drum machine on a computer I think you need ITT Technical Institute.

If you notice, I didn't say that. I said you cannot reproduce what is written. If you have ever worked with a large amount of hardware, you will write very different music than what you write with a computer.

therefore you can reproduce whats written in the h/w into the s/w and visa versa

congratulations on completely missing my point. join me tomorrow when we discuss the difference between piano and guitar.

Guest earlgrey

cheers for the richard quote rook, that was an interesting read.

And not all anlaogue equipment is expensive you can still get bargains like old high end military audio devices,tape machines fx etc just go for the unfashionable stuff.

*cue old high end military audio devices suddenly becoming highly fashionable within electronic music circles*

Guest Vegeta897

TFTT, nobody here said (well, I didn't) that hardware was better than software. Christ. All I'm saying is some people prefer it.

I wouldn't be a dick and shit on your opinions, I'm asking you to respect the opinions of people who do prefer hardware.

A computer can emulate as much as it wants, and provide me with controls. But there's nothing like being in a room full of drum machines, synths, FX devices, etc. to play around with. It's part of the creative process.

And I wouldn't really say you need to be "rich". FFS I got my first drum machine less than a year ago when I was 17 for christmas. 200 dollars. Since then I've spent around 600 on purchasing a cheap mixer and the rest of the electribe series. That's an amazing price for a drum machine, sampler, and 2part synth with a built in sequencer. And it all has intuitive controls right onboard, nothing to map, or label-less knobs and sliders.

Here's me jamming with the aforementioned setup:

That pattern is sorta shit but I'll be damned if anything I make on these bad boys is not fun to jam with, for me.

*clears throat*

hardware is BETTER than software. by miles and miles and miles. i'd rather hit a brick with a piece of metal pipe than use Cubase.

he he he he.

lol at me.

Guest Endoplasmic Reticulum

It is really just a matter of preference about whether you go hardware or software, analogue or digital. Neither is better, both have pros and cons. I don't think anyone should look at it as an either/or situation. They both present methods and possibilities that the other doesn't. Autechre needed hardware boxes to come up with Untilted, and they needed computers and mouse-clicking to come up with Draft. Digital based synthesis may not sound like analogue hardware, but there is a whole lot that you can do digitally that you can't do with analogue as well.

Once someone says either is inherently better, I don't find any reason to keep listening to their opinion. To not explore many different possibilities in the creation of electronic sounds is really missing the point, in my opinion.

congratulations on completely missing my point. join me tomorrow when we discuss the difference between piano and guitar.

you can play a piano tune on a guitar and visa versa or if you have a midi guitar and midi piano you can play the piano with the guitar. wow.

join me tomorrow when we take alook at the diffrence between re:birth and the tr-909 drum computer.

you can play a piano tune on a guitar and visa versa or if you have a midi guitar and midi piano you can play the piano with the guitar. wow.

join me tomorrow when we take alook at the diffrence between re:birth and the tr-909 drum computer.

You can get the sounds with either instrument. But interface affects composition. I play the guitar well. I play the piano well. I write music with both. I can play the midi on my guitar to sound like a piano, I can play the piano to sound (sort of) like a guitar. However the music I write with the guitar is different than the music I write on the piano. Different techniques yield different results. Study the solo's of different instruments in jazz (piano, guitar, saxophone, trumpet). With a few exceptions, certain instruments are prone to certain styles simply because of the layout and make of the instrument.

Similarly with hardware and software. Yes through midi you can achieve the same sounds. But I am not talking sound, I am talking composition. Interface affects composition here also. Using a different interface, you develop different techniques. Different techniques lead to different ideas. This is one reason why people who compose large scores and orchestral music often learn to at least elementarily play many instruments. When you have knowledge of a new instrument, you learn new things. My machine drum is different from the vst's in Cubase and different from writing sheet music. Thus I learn things with the machine drum that I would not have noticed if I just wrote music on Finale or Cubase/logic etc...

Now as too which is better, that is personal preference. I like hardware. (though many of my fav albums are software) And if you don't think little things like humidity affect tone than you are wrong. Plus each piece of hardware is wired differently, making it unique.

hey rook, just out of curiosity, you got any tunes i could take a listen to. sounds like you know your stuff to me

Not on my new computer. Right now they are all on my machinedrum and monomachine. But I will record some soon and put them up in EKT.

And if you don't think little things like humidity affect tone than you are wrong. Plus each piece of hardware is wired differently, making it unique.

Nitpick: not all hardware is analogue. Nord Modular, Monomachine, Machinedrum are all hardware boxes doing digital synthesis. Humidity and wiring differences won't affect the sound.

And of course the reason people would choose digital boxes over VSTs is primarily for the interface(and better timing).

And if you don't think little things like humidity affect tone than you are wrong. Plus each piece of hardware is wired differently, making it unique.

Nitpick: not all hardware is analogue. Nord Modular, Monomachine, Machinedrum are all hardware boxes doing digital synthesis. Humidity and wiring differences won't affect the sound.

true, I should have specified. Sorry.

Whether analogue or digital, I am firmly in the Rook camp of interface playing a huge part in the development of ideas. Unlike hardcore knob twiddlers, I find that using a mouse and computer can lead to equally valid ideas that you wouldn't necessarily get with knobs and faders. I just think its all valid if it gets your creativity going and gets good sounds in the end.

You say this as though Chris and I don't have analogue synths...

Although in my case you would be wrong, the Dotcom's oscillators correct for temperature differential and are rock solid.

You say this as though Chris and I don't have analogue synths...

Although in my case you would be wrong, the Dotcom's oscillators correct for temperature differential and are rock solid.

I am oozing oodles of happiness for you.

Well Im sorry but you come off as though you're parroting the opinions of others without getting all of the facts straight, not to mention you and others attacking me for saying nothing more than "it is silly to dismiss software outright".

Parroting the opinions of others? Attacking you?

please reread the thread. I believe my exact words were "now as to which is better, that is personal preference"

I used the RDJ quote because I thought that it provided insight to the debate, since he is a musician that most people on here like. And I believe you attacked me first by telling me I needed ITT Technical Institute.

I am done with the thread. It is not worth my time to get into an argument over something as stupid as this.

Archived