IGNORED

Philip Glass

YEK

want to get into this guys music a bit more

recommendations?

i already have heroes symphony, low symphony , and passages

all sound pretty cool, glass is pretty fantastic :ok:

glassworks i recommend as well,

the original Candyman soundtrack is excellent also, but its out of print and sometimes hard to find on soulseek.

Its probably the scariest/creepiest thing Glass have ever composed.

the qatsi trilogy is damn good, but unfortunately i saw Truman Show before i saw the 2nd one in the trilogy, so now forever the score for that film is ruined for me due to the Truman Show (they used almost half of the POWASQATSI score in truman show).

I'm also a huge fan of "the photographer"

the soundtrack for "The fog of war" is also good, but probably because the movie was so emotional for me.

akhenaten. again, ~3 hours, but fantastic. some wonderful boy soprano stuff (technically written for castrati but they don't exist any more)

mishima soundtrack

glassworks

the photographer

hydrogen jukebox

1000 airplanes on the roof kinda sucks a bit, but it's his most electronic album... piles of fm synths on it

it's pretty hard to go wrong with phil. also get some steve reich if you've never heard him...

Guest snibbajibs

saw the qatsi live a few months ago, was very good, the third night had a celloist who was loving playing her cello a little bit too much.....

did anyone else here see Truman Show before POWASQATSI? because i did and it ruined my appreciation for the POWASQATSI score forever. Not that truman show was horrible, but it wasnt what i would consider a good film.

Einstein on the Beach (HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE HA HEE )

oh, the Kundun soundtrack is really good

i've seen truman show, never saw the other thing that music is featured in. i always liked the score to that movie though, especially at the end when he's in a boat and it crashes into the wall of the dome he lives in.

i have a piece he did with the Kronos Quartet...though I thinkhes done a lot with them? good fun stuff...but i tried to get into a lot of his other works and didnt really care for them.

btw, listen to his piano pieces...i cant remember the name of the one im thinking of...but im almost positive AFX based Polynomial-C off it.

btw, listen to his piano pieces...i cant remember the name of the one im thinking of...but im almost positive AFX based Polynomial-C off it.

'solo piano' is great. i think the piece you are thinking of is 'mad rush' off that

Guest cakeface

what does everyone see in philip glass? it never ceases to amaze me how he gets away with writing music that would fail at gcse composition level

what does everyone see in philip glass? it never ceases to amaze me how he gets away with writing music that would fail at gcse composition level

music isnt about fitting requirements so you don't "fail"

he makes music that I think is very emotional, and captivating.

is it philip glass that you don't like, or minimalism?

it amazes me that some people still believe music is entirely scientific and zero percent emotional....go back to listening to people tell you what good music is.

Archived