IGNORED

I like second Aphex more than first period

Guest bouquiniste

here's my take...

early aphex: experimented with psychedelic drugs, but made his music, for the most part, sober.

new aphex: (drukqs - the tuss)- I don't know for sure, i could be completely wrong...but my assumption is that richard is still experimenting, but is becoming more comfortable with using these "drugs" while creating his music.

to me, his music just makes more sense under the influence of psychedelics (LSD in my experience), simple as that.

it's pretty obvious to me that he has always tried to create a sound or enviorment that is separate from our everyday reality and perception. he's even touched on this "wanting to create a sound no one has heard before" in various interviews....Maybe he's not using psychedelics while creating music, but just getting better at emulating the sound of that state of mind...

all i know is, i've been listening to aphex since 1997 and he has never stopped evolving. even though his new stuff may sound "less experimental" than Druqs, it is becoming more dynamic, and more strange at the same time. his music is not of "this world" or "reality", a straight edge could tell you that...

Yeah, that's always really impressed me too about new aphex. even the analords, which is more retro, is flying in outerspace. it's great stuff and it's got a fresh spin.

Guest uncle traveling matt
it's pretty obvious to me that he has always tried to create a sound or enviorment that is separate from our everyday reality and perception. he's even touched on this "wanting to create a sound no one has heard before" in various interviews....Maybe he's not using psychedelics while creating music, but just getting better at emulating the sound of that state of mind...

all i know is, i've been listening to aphex since 1997 and he has never stopped evolving. even though his new stuff may sound "less experimental" than Druqs, it is becoming more dynamic, and more strange at the same time. his music is not of "this world" or "reality", a straight edge could tell you that...

back on topic

i couldn't agree more. each release simply cannot compare to another. he IS constantly evolving which is the beauty of afx. no repeaters. each album is good for what it is, whatever period the material was written in. i guess it just depends on the mood of the listener and what their def. of certain emotions are. for example, which of rdjs' releases would you consider "chill"? the soothing ambiences of lichen or xtal, or the hip hop funkyness of songs like windowlicker or synthacon 9(depending on what your tuss beliefs are)?. the styles are spread out and that's the way i like it.

i guess this would explain why some people who swear by his older stuff (pre rdj album i'm guessing) dislike the newer material.

anyone else feeling this way or am i just tl;dr-ing?

FIRST HALF:

SAW 85-92

SAW II

I CARE BECAUSE YOU DO

ON EPS

VENTOLIN EPS

CAUTIC WINDOW EPS

ANALOGUE BUBBLEBATH SERIES

SURFING ON SINE WAVES

DIGERIDOO

XYLEM TUBE

SECOND HALF:

HABS

RDJ ALBUM

COME TO DADDY

WINDOWLICKER

DRUKQS

ANALORDS

THE TUSS

but that is 1990-1995 against 1996-2007

imagine if it were 1990-1998 against 1999-2007:

FIRST HALF:

SAW 85-92

SAW II

I CARE BECAUSE YOU DO

ON EPS

VENTOLIN EPS

CAUTIC WINDOW EPS

SURFING ON SINE WAVES

DIGERIDOO

XYLEM TUBE

HABS

RDJ ALBUM

COME TO DADDY

SECOND HALF:

WINDOWLICKER

DRUKQS

ANALORDS

THE TUSS

Guest AOOproductions
FIRST HALF:

SAW 85-92

SAW II

I CARE BECAUSE YOU DO

ON EPS

VENTOLIN EPS

CAUTIC WINDOW EPS

SURFING ON SINE WAVES

DIGERIDOO

XYLEM TUBE

SECOND HALF:

HABS

RDJ ALBUM

COME TO DADDY

WINDOWLICKER

DRUKQS

ANALORDS

THE TUSS

but that is 1990-1995 against 1996-2007

imagine if it were 1990-1998 against 1999-2007:

FIRST HALF:

SAW 85-92

SAW II

I CARE BECAUSE YOU DO

ON EPS

VENTOLIN EPS

CAUTIC WINDOW EPS

SURFING ON SINE WAVES

DIGERIDOO

XYLEM TUBE

HABS

RDJ ALBUM

COME TO DADDY

SECOND HALF:

WINDOWLICKER

DRUKQS

ANALORDS

THE TUSS

I like your first list better just because, even though it is not equal in time, it is in style. The first half was his Analogue era and the second is his now present Braindance style(not counting Analord series). I love how when you spread it out like this, you can really see his evolution. And how he changed so quickly from ICBYU to HAB. It almost doesn't make sense. How does his style of music change literally over night. granted he never really had a "style" but you know what I mean.

I like the first recipe of Lipton Ice Tea more than the second "less sugar" recipe.

The first recipe was very nice, not too sweet and I could handle a few bottles a day without feeling a thing.

Now with just one bottle of this new improved recipe Lipton Ice Tea I become rather flatulent which means I can't finish the Kinder Bueno that I always buy with it :(

Fuck you Lipton, i'm switching to Nestea.

Faggots.

Guest Helper ET
early stuff sounds more isolated and unique, later half sounds more perfected and a reaction to the electronic music environment

quite nicely spoken. Isolated is the perfect word for old aphex, yet I can't help applying the word to drukqs too. It sounds like he moved to antarctica, built a heated box with a toilet and a laptop, and went to town on each for about 2 years, then emailed drukqs to warp screaming, "now leave me alone OK?"...

early stuff sounds more isolated and unique, later half sounds more perfected and a reaction to the electronic music environment

quite nicely spoken. Isolated is the perfect word for old aphex, yet I can't help applying the word to drukqs too. It sounds like he moved to antarctica, built a heated box with a toilet and a laptop, and went to town on each for about 2 years, then emailed drukqs to warp screaming, "now leave me alone OK?"...

i hardly think so, druqks is perfection of drill 'n' bass, prepared piano and stockhausen-ish experimental, feels very influenced.

Archived