IGNORED

Jazzy Dotcom Rinseout

Handclaps are total Tuss stuff and overall it's just me jamming on my dotcom but I thought it sounded alright, I don't usually like anything I do beat based so this was a bit of a surprise for me. All recorded realtime just jamming.

I think some of the levels might be a bit wonky too since I don't have proper monitors and I haven't listened to this anywhere but my nasty echoy room on shit speakers.

Click here to grab it

i really enjoyed it actually, starts to catch my attention about 60 seconds in, pretty awesome man, the ending was a bit unexpected, but it's wicked nonetheless.

funky as hell!

Guest Glass Plate

nice, if you planned this stuff out it could be amazing, it's already great, but if you made more elaborate planned versions of this style it'd be outstanding.

Guest splagawaga

theres some pretty stark jumps in volume before the drums kick in.

nice ringmod action tho. the whole track has 'jammed' feel to it. slightly aimless but much more human than anything ive heard for a while. drums could be a little loud, it feels like theyre getting shouted down by the synth.

maybe its FM ?

It is FM! heheh good call

OSC1 Pulse to audio out, Sin out to OSC2's FM in, and Tri out to the 12db SVF's 1v/Oct in (making the bubbly "ring mod but not ring mod" sound). This all gets tricky to balance, too much FM in on OSC2 and it becomes a wash of noise, too little and its buzzy and thin, and even still you only have about 2 octaves to play with before the audio rate coming out of OSC1 is too much for the SVF and it just sounds like a mess.

The jumps in volume were me adjusting OSC2's FM in level trim, I had left it at 9 from a pre-recording jam and was tweaking it to get the right balance before going on with the pattern, also why the beginning is boring as fuck.

Guest splagawaga
It is FM! heheh good call

OSC1 Pulse to audio out, Sin out to OSC2's FM in, and Tri out to the 12db SVF's 1v/Oct in (making the bubbly "ring mod but not ring mod" sound). This all gets tricky to balance, too much FM in on OSC2 and it becomes a wash of noise, too little and its buzzy and thin, and even still you only have about 2 octaves to play with before the audio rate coming out of OSC1 is too much for the SVF and it just sounds like a mess.

The jumps in volume were me adjusting OSC2's FM in level trim, I had left it at 9 from a pre-recording jam and was tweaking it to get the right balance before going on with the pattern, also why the beginning is boring as fuck.

so rather than using an fm synth u just overlayed several oscillators? doing it the manual way effectively?

ill definately give that a try. still never bothered looking into it. a friend of mine is always praising fm :)

Well, technically I suppose a modular synth with 2 oscillators is basically a 1 operator FM synth if you want it to be.

And it's really only half FM, OSC1 is going right out to the filter, but also FM'ing OSC2, which is mixed with OSC1's output and sent along to the filter. I don't know that much about "true" FM, so I can't really comment on how well this compares but, it is what it is!

If you have a modular synth though, I would highly recommend modding the cutoff of a filter with an audio rate waveform, it gives wild results.

Guest splagawaga
Well, technically I suppose a modular synth with 2 oscillators is basically a 1 operator FM synth if you want it to be.

And it's really only half FM, OSC1 is going right out to the filter, but also FM'ing OSC2, which is mixed with OSC1's output and sent along to the filter. I don't know that much about "true" FM, so I can't really comment on how well this compares but, it is what it is!

If you have a modular synth though, I would highly recommend modding the cutoff of a filter with an audio rate waveform, it gives wild results.

im only really equipped with the most basic of soft synths. i generally just use the 3osc and built in effects that come with fruity. i figured with enough ingenuity u can get any sound u like.

that said, i would love to have a play on a modular synth. i used to noodle around with the routing alot on reason despite its limitations.

what synth have u got?

Me no likey the excessive clipping. Sounds to me that the synth line you're so proud of is about 12dB louder than it needs to be. I know you're stoked about your synth -- it's all you talk about. Your enthusiasm is touching, but don't be afraid to pull the faders back just a tad when you see all those red LEDs light up. Remember, dynamics are your friend.

EDIT -- Just finished reading your first post. Boy is *my* face red... Carry on.

Archived