IGNORED

fft analysis

Guest jim

Alright lads

I'm just investigating the possibility of using it to identify and and score overtones of certain sounds (e.g. a rich bell sound with lots of partials) in a totally instrumental (i.e. no electronics involved in performance) piece for soprano and ensemble. Ideally i'd like to bypass any study of algorithms etc. and just write the partials down to the nearest 1/4 or 1/8 tone. Does anyone know of some kind of standalone (freeware?) program that can quickly and accurately analyze a sample/ live audio feed and give frequency values for all the overtones? Translating these to pitches should be no problem with the use of a graph or chart of pitch vs frequency.

Cheers

Guest hahathhat
Alright lads

I'm just investigating the possibility of using it to identify and and score overtones of certain sounds (e.g. a rich bell sound with lots of partials) in a totally instrumental (i.e. no electronics involved in performance) piece for soprano and ensemble. Ideally i'd like to bypass any study of algorithms etc. and just write the partials down to the nearest 1/4 or 1/8 tone. Does anyone know of some kind of standalone (freeware?) program that can quickly and accurately analyze a sample/ live audio feed and give frequency values for all the overtones? Translating these to pitches should be no problem with the use of a graph or chart of pitch vs frequency.

Cheers

if you're into programming at all, matlab is fantastic for this shit.

if you're into programming at all, matlab is fantastic for this shit.

matlab wails hard, but its sound synthesis engine is extremely basic -it IS really nice to understand fourier transforms and figure out what you can do with them... however, if topic starter is not yet familiar with matlab and its frustratingly convoluted syntax, it won't help him much!

topic starter is looking for this! http://www.fon.hum.uva.nl/praat/ - PRAAT, one of the most sophisticated sound analysis programs you'll find and it's freeware. one step down in quality (but easier to use) is the abovementioned SPEAR. good luck, topic starter, and show us the piece when it is done!

Archived