IGNORED

machinedrum

mononomo

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The best part about the machinedrum is, the first month you will make loads of stuff. Then six months from now, you will look back and listen to it and be surprised at how basic and presety those patterns sound. The point is, don't be afraid to tweak. There are seriously a lot of sounds on that machine. Try to create your own "voice."

shit those are kind of expensive... well i actually paid more for my rm1x when i got it... give me 8 years till they are more of a reasonable price for me.

is it all about the jam sessions and actual "playing" with these machines... it would probably be a waste if you plugged one in your midi chain attached to cubase or whatever eh?

shit those are kind of expensive... well i actually paid more for my rm1x when i got it... give me 8 years till they are more of a reasonable price for me.

is it all about the jam sessions and actual "playing" with these machines... it would probably be a waste if you plugged one in your midi chain attached to cubase or whatever eh?

actually no! Autechre says that Untilted was made in exactly this way, they barely did any of the actual sequencing on the Machindrum but instead triggered them via midi with the computer spitting out patterns and CC values. Since every parameter of the synth engine can be tweaked via MIDI you can make some wild sounding patterns, in some ways more crazy sounding than anything you can get on the box itself.

for instance i made a reaktor patch that sends random midi cc values to about 10 parameters (according to a rythmically on beat clock) that i really liked the sound of when tweaked, i just ran this along side of the drum machine doing its own pattern internally and it sounded ridiculous.

on the Ghostbusters III comp on the enhanced CD on the software section i include 5 patches all specifically made for fucking with the machinedrums sounds. if anybody wants to check them out id be happy to send them for free

interesting... I always thought the huge draw of the MD was the control locks.

I guess maybe for more of a live use it's better using the MD only... but when writing, I can see how that would work well.

I am doing similar things with my G2's.... making a drum synth on one slot, and coming up with modulation sequences/patterns/probabilities in another, controlling the drum synth. Very similar result, I'd imagine.

Not usually. I've had mine for like a year and this is only the second time it has stalled and "reset" itself. Although I think the first time I just accidentally pressed the reset button, so this might be the first time. Sometimes it can get buggy if you overload the RAMs with a lot of parameter locks it would sometimes stall, but not reset so it was no big deal. But this is the first time I have had a bug with using just synths. I don't know what happened. It sucks. 10 days of work down the drain. Including a good bit of my Metropolis track.

Guest acridavid

Fuck I want one.

Must be especially great for live situations, I wanna get rid of that laptop on stage. Never really worked with built-in sequencers before, must be awesome. Parameter locks are sweet and the CTRL-AL track or something in that youtube vid freaked me out. The sampling options look delicious too.

Hmm I'm gonna try one out in a local music shop and save up for one probably! :)

Is it stull much work on the LCD or are most of the options really hands-on with the knobs?

hands on with knobs. And the sequencer is really tight. Haven't even bothered trying to use something else to sequence it since the machinedrum sequencer is so tight. And yea, it is really good for playing live. I mean just from the AE gig, the bass from Massonix and Rob Hall was in general really unstable compared to the machinedrum.

Price: $1695 / €1590 / SEK14300

Euro 1590 = 2,490 dollars on xe.com

so what exactly am i gona be paying. if you go on the dollars price the sampling one is only 852 quid.

how many kilos is it?

a 2 kilo synth costs about 100 in tax to get over.

assuming its less than 2 kilos i could get the sampling addition for under 1000 if someone in america bought it. il have to look over this.

the price from elektron includes all the shipping and taxes...though they are raising the the dollar price on all their equipment by $100 dollars on may 1st

shipping was fast as hell but ups left it on my door step which was a little sketch

I reallly am confused about these 4 different types of synthesis on this drum machine. I know one has FM capabilities, can you do format shifting or spreading? What do these magicaly knobs do that morph the drum sounds so easily?

Guest jhn

Am a bit confused, some questions for the machinedrum owners;

When you use the sequencer of the machinedrum to trigger another synth (hardware or software) by using MIDI out, can you still use all the same 'tricks' that you can do with internal sounds by sending CC controller messages ? And does it trigger really tight?

If it does, I can just use it to jam with and trigger every possible sound I have, record all the MIDI in the computer, do some tweaking and trigger everything from the computer and use the MD as a sound module. Is this right?

Another question, I saw that it has a stereo input. Does this mean that I can feed any sound into it and process it with the MD effects in realtime?

I also saw a video on Youtube about a guy that was 'playing' the MD or the sequencers of the MD with a midicontroller by using MIDI in ? Am I right? How does this work?

Guest Super lurker ultra V12
Another question, I saw that it has a stereo input. Does this mean that I can feed any sound into it and process it with the MD effects in realtime?

Both monomachine and machinedrum have two stereo inputs

Guest jhn

Nice ! So it's true?

I was just thinking, if everything works as I described in the previous post, I can just chop up an Amen loop, and sequence the different parts directly from the machinedrum with all the cool stuff going on!

And even feed the output from my sampler back into the inputs to add some machinedrum FX?

Could get some very very nice jungalistic Aphex/Squarepusher action!

Some idea's?

Nice ! So it's true?

I was just thinking, if everything works as I described in the previous post, I can just chop up an Amen loop, and sequence the different parts directly from the machinedrum with all the cool stuff going on!

And even feed the output from my sampler back into the inputs to add some machinedrum FX?

Some idea's?

please dont buy a machinedrum to chop up the amen break, it would be a travesty

Guest we_kill_soapscum
Nice ! So it's true?

Some idea's?

please dont buy a machinedrum to chop up the amen break, it would be a travesty

lol

Guest jhn

Ok guys, forget I said anything about chopping up loops... The idea would be that I can sequence any sound alongside the sounds from the machinedrum with the same MD sequencer. Right? And I can route them back inside the machinedrum to use the effects or doesn't it work like that? What cool stuff can you do by hooking up a midicontroller to the MIDI in? Triggering of the sequencers?

Guest Super lurker ultra V12
Ok guys, forget I said anything about chopping up loops... The idea would be that I can sequence any sound alongside the sounds from the machinedrum with the same MD sequencer. Right? And I can route them back inside the machinedrum to use the effects or doesn't it work like that? What cool stuff can you do by hooking up a midicontroller to the MIDI in? Triggering of the sequencers?

why don't you buy a machinedrum UW?

if you can't work without samples that's the best choice or maybe something by akai..

Guest NihiLmAnTank
bit clean at times.

I hear this a lot about the MD. I will agree that the initial sounds do tend towards a clean sound, but with a little experimentation, it is really easy to get industrial or distorted or gritty sounds. Plus, if you have the UW version, welcome to industrial city.

true true.

..i turned left at Industrial city towards glitchy town without user waves, but with a jomox tresonator! no more clean hit, stab,jab,kick,tick or click,...love it :)

Archived