IGNORED

machinedrum

mononomo

So I've looked over at the Machinedrum page and I'm still kind of confused as to what makes this so super-desirable (and expensive). Can anyone enlighten me?

Well, it's desirable, because it is extremely flexible, and its a hardware drum machine that can actually do crazy glitchy sounding stuff, opposed to more straight ahead patterns on traditional drum machines. You can also have each step tweak and modulated ("locked") so you can do much more complex patterns than just rhythm placement. You can also resample the output, and fuck with it further.

And it sounds awesome.

I've never met someone who had one and didnt like it. I have several friends who have one, and rave about it all the time. One of them is so NOT a gear whore, and him telling me its worth every penny is testament enough really. Everyone I talk to says its super good at making crazy loops and sounds, with little effort.

Autechre uses it, and Ive heard what they can make it do. Beyond that, my friends use it, and Ive heard what they can do... it just sounds fucking sweet, and super tight. It really slams out of a PA.

I can't tell you how badly I want one of these. I pretty much listen to demos/youtube clips everyday. I have even downloaded the user manual and am learning how to use it, although I dont have one or access to one.

Its just ridiculously good sounding and versatile and easy to use . Having such a powerful dedicated drum machine, especially for live situations, goes a long way. I take up a lot of my nord modular slots with drum patches, and if I had a MD, it could take over all of that role, and then Id have 8 slots of nord modular to use live. Id be set.

It kills me to think itll be well over a year before I can even attempt to get this.

My girlfriend is tired of hearing me talk about it/listen to it/watch it online.

And to be clear: the demos on elektrons site are really bad. They are better than they used to be, but still not at all representative of what it can do.

Price-wise? They are hand made... Im not sure any more specifics than that.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So I've looked over at the Machinedrum page and I'm still kind of confused as to what makes this so super-desirable (and expensive). Can anyone enlighten me?

it's a drum machine with a great synthesis engine and interface. Sure it's expensive, but it's a piece of hardware that is made by a small company.

What makes the synthesis engine so special? I mean I don't deny it makes plenty of different bangy noises, I can hear that, but I mean, lots of things make many different bangy noises for a lot less money, etc etc, I'm just missing something I think about the desirability quotient here. I mean sure if someone gave me one I'd be like "oh cool" and I'd go make some bangy noises with it but would probably use manipulated samples just as often.

I wouldn't know what makes the synthesis engine special because I haven't had any personal hands on experience with this machine. The whole point about making interesting sounds for less money is irrelevant because it is well known that one doesn't need money to make interesting sounds. I guess the interface and the look of the machinedrum must not appeal to you. Personally, I would get this machine because the interface looks very appealing and inspiring to me. For me, there's something about twisting knobs and pushing buttons that beats clicking and typing.

I think maybe it's that I don't really click with that way of programming. Or at least I don't think I do. Ive probably just been using trackers for too long, I hate not being able to visualize everything that's going on all at the same time I guess. I'll have to check out some youtube clips maybe.

it's a drum machine with a great synthesis engine and interface. Sure it's expensive, but it's a piece of hardware that is made by a small company.

What makes the synthesis engine so special? I mean I don't deny it makes plenty of different bangy noises, I can hear that, but I mean, lots of things make many different bangy noises for a lot less money, etc etc, I'm just missing something I think about the desirability quotient here. I mean sure if someone gave me one I'd be like "oh cool" and I'd go make some bangy noises with it but would probably use manipulated samples just as often.

you honestly have to try one for yourself, i was pretty skeptical about why it was so praised until i actually had hands on use.

the samples on the elekron page are not very interesting.

besides using one hands on go see the Autechre show on the quaristice tour. others who have seen it will know what im talking about. they have mastered the machinedrums sound design, and im not really talking about the quaristice album at all, the live show totally different including some of the most intense gut wrenching perfect bass tones and bass drums ive ever heard in my life.

before i actually got to use a nord modular i wrote it off in my own head thinking 'why on earth would anybody want a modular synth piece of hardware you have to make modular patches on the computer to use?' until i used one did i understand why it was so cool.

unfortunately most popular retail music stores dont sell Machinedrums, so youll just have to take our word for it i guess. :undecided: (or see autechre )

Well Autechre has come and gone from my area, I really don't like their music very much so I didn't bother to go see (plus from what I heard it was a bunch of waiting around and dj's and stuff for only an hour worth of them playing. Anyhow, I agree it'd be nice to actually get hands on with one. I think I'm also having a mental barrier because I'm never sure where it would fit into my production style (or really where any drum machine would). I also know from personal experience that I really dislike prepatched architectures. I would probably be more apt to buy a G2 Engine to use specifically for drums if I was spending that kind of money. I also have no real dislike for the computer interface for anything, live play isn't a concern, etc. I think it's mainly more just a tool for different jobs than what I'm after. It's all of the lust for it that caught my attention though, because well, gear lust is always contagious.

Well Autechre has come and gone from my area, I really don't like their music very much so I didn't bother to go see (plus from what I heard it was a bunch of waiting around and dj's and stuff for only an hour worth of them playing. Anyhow, I agree it'd be nice to actually get hands on with one. I think I'm also having a mental barrier because I'm never sure where it would fit into my production style (or really where any drum machine would). I also know from personal experience that I really dislike prepatched architectures. I would probably be more apt to buy a G2 Engine to use specifically for drums if I was spending that kind of money. I also have no real dislike for the computer interface for anything, live play isn't a concern, etc. I think it's mainly more just a tool for different jobs than what I'm after. It's all of the lust for it that caught my attention though, because well, gear lust is always contagious.

the machine drum does what it is made to do so well... you cant really recreate it on a nord. i think one of the biggest features is the MD sequencer and its capabilities... too complex to replicate on a nord, and have 16 individual synthesis engines/sounds.

sure, you could probably copy the general sounds, and stuff, but it would be an effort, and still not as versatile.

the MD is made to do one thing, and it does it amazingly.

It's all of the lust for it that caught my attention though, because well, gear lust is always contagious.

haha, well if you've never felt the need to have a drum machine then i totally understand why a machinedrum isnt for you.

It frankly is the best drum machine ever made, there is absolutely no contest. its possible the new dave smith linn drum will be AS good, but i would be very surprised if it de throned the MD.

Can you reverse the sounds or control the speed at which it traverses thru the samples in real time?

Can you reverse the sounds or control the speed at which it traverses thru the samples in real time?

not that i know of, as far as its sampling capabilities ono the Electribe and a lot of lower end machines have more of those types of tweaks. The machinedrum imo is not great or even that impressive for it's sampling, its actually quiet underwhelming in that respect. Its the real time tweakable synth engine that i find its strong point.

Its hard probably for others to believe but not even any computer software plugin or stand alone program ive used for drum synthesis has the same style or features as the MD. Its very unique and i wouldnt say its more flexible than stuff on the computer, but its much more intuitive for making AMAZING unique sounding drum sounds very quickly.

the only other thing i have to compare it to is my Jomox Xbasee09. I originally bought the jomox to make really deep bass drums and tones to cut through live show mixes cleanly, i felt a lot of the stuff coming off my computer lacked the punch and emphasis i wanted when i performed. It worked great for a while and i started even coming around on the 'nothing can be as fat sounding as analog angel' UNTIL i used a machinedrum. For something being entirely digital it sure doesn't sound lifeless or sterile.

aaahp! elektron is charging me twice! 1700x2=a lot of cash

I wonder if this is the banks mistake or elektrons...now I have to make annoying phone calls and emails.

oh man. That's bogus.

When I ordered my machinedrum, it got canceled because the credit card company just figured my card got stolen and was some how transported to Sweden.

I like the sampler. Might not have as many features as a pure sampling instrument, but in the concept of the drum machine, I think it fits in perfectly to the machine drum style. But yea, if you get the UW version, there is no reason to ever by another drum machine in your entire life again unless it is like an old analog style drum machine.

oh man. That's bogus.

When I ordered my machinedrum, it got canceled because the credit card company just figured my card got stolen and was some how transported to Sweden.

I thought that this was what happened when I went to buy a burrito today and was told my card was denied

Guest rex sole

It's a fair enough statement really, my Machinedrum is also a TR-707/727/626/505/LinnDrum etc etc etc thanks to the UserWave thing.

I did have to get a TR-808 though, but that's just down to my own lust for the 808 sound. Boooooooooooooooom.

wow. Super impressed.

I think I will also get one down the line. Job, new house, new computer.....damn.

I've been making electronic music for a long time, but I will have to step up my game to make use of a box like that....

Good info. :)

What about warm and fuzzy can it do those too?

not really, it can get better more deep impacting bass sounds than a lot of analogue drum stuff ive heard but if you want warm and fuzzy specifically don't buy a digital drum machine

i saw a pic of sean of autechre in the autechre forum playing with two at the same time! it could have been a machine drum and a monomachine but i'm sure it was two drum machines...

this guy from em411.com posted a ridiculously awesome video of his self playing with one with captions saying exactly what he's doing. i could try finding it on youtube or , You could...

What about warm and fuzzy can it do those too?

not really, it can get better more deep impacting bass sounds than a lot of analogue drum stuff ive heard but if you want warm and fuzzy specifically don't buy a digital drum machine

using white noise and effects would surely give you warm and fuzzy internally

or record it on to a cassette LOL!

or through analogue distortion :ohmy:

you should have come, we could've dissed each other, but even more importantly you could have stood with us on the side of the stage and watched AE twiddle elektrons and nords.

Archived