IGNORED

Xltronic cock tease marathon

awepittance

Guest James Fucking Cagney

I remember an interview from not long ago where Sean/Rob talked about how they listened to the previous night's gig on the way to the next one. I think that may be why their sound guy is recording.

I don't get the argument that recording a show is unfair to the people there. I would love to have recordings of every concert I've been to.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Tankakern
if you cant comprehend what the soundguy means, as in that a soundboard recording would sound completely different to how the set sounds to the audience after coming through a fairly massive PA rig that is inside a large reverberant space then you are quite stupid eh...and since we can probably assume that's what the set was made for, for playing out very loud through a club PA.... on top of that, the fact is that every night the space and sound system is different, therefore the approach to the sound design aspect of the performance will be different and unique each night won't it ?..even if the structure or song order is roughly the same....I would say its entirely fair enough for autechre to not want any soundboard recordings being made. And does it matter if they record every set for themselves?, that does not mean that they should release it or let people jack into the sound desk and record the event just because "fans" stamp their feet and demand it

i am not contesting this at all. if the soundboardist had all this to say – that esstentially the set should be experinced within a live set-up only – then i wouldnt have bothered posting. it is the spoling-it-for-gig-goers comment that i think is a stupid reason not to release a soundboard recording. perhaps ae will eventually consider commiting the set to cd like they did with the untilted set but then endening up making a new album instead, bookended by the current live set.

if you cant comprehend what the soundguy means, as in that a soundboard recording would sound completely different to how the set sounds to the audience after coming through a fairly massive PA rig that is inside a large reverberant space then you are quite stupid eh...and since we can probably assume that's what the set was made for, for playing out very loud through a club PA.... on top of that, the fact is that every night the space and sound system is different, therefore the approach to the sound design aspect of the performance will be different and unique each night won't it ?..even if the structure or song order is roughly the same....I would say its entirely fair enough for autechre to not want any soundboard recordings being made. And does it matter if they record every set for themselves?, that does not mean that they should release it or let people jack into the sound desk and record the event just because "fans" stamp their feet and demand it

Hey nice post count. By the way, how's the tour coming? Hope you are all traveling safely.

Tankakern- I was told by someone at the Portland gig that he recorded it.

Rook - Yeah, the guy with the moustache. Also, I agree with you.. I think parts are definitely longer. I remember the intro being longer at Philly then Toronto or LA.

As for the whole argument about space and reverberation, for what its worth I GUARANTEE there is a ton of other shit going on that is nearly unheard in that environment. Why add all these layers if we have to forcibly push our fingers further into our skulls in order to maybe catch a glimpse of these otherwise overlooked sounds? That just doesnt make sense. There are clearly MANY other things that are going on in the Untitled set and they vary and emerge moreso as the recordings increase in bitrate and source.

And finally, unless Autechre rented out a massive room and filled it with mannequins when they were developing this set in its earliest conception, just to hopefully get a certain spatial sound for each gig down the road, I'm not buying the whole "they intended it this way" argument. When they were writing this set they certainly were hearing MUCH more than the audience will hear. It just begs the questiona as to why they would bother to include things that we cant hear or phase out.

Guest electronicfailurekilledmyname

The sound guy sounds like a knob jockey, a sad nerd fool twat bucket cock sucking loser

if you cant comprehend what the soundguy means, as in that a soundboard recording would sound completely different to how the set sounds to the audience after coming through a fairly massive PA rig that is inside a large reverberant space then you are quite stupid eh...and since we can probably assume that's what the set was made for, for playing out very loud through a club PA.... on top of that, the fact is that every night the space and sound system is different, therefore the approach to the sound design aspect of the performance will be different and unique each night won't it ?.

im sorry man but that comment in and of itself sounded extremely fucking stupid.

did they compose the music in a huge club with a gigantic PA? most likely not

did they compose the music in a normal studio with relatively modest sound? probably

so basically we, the hardcore fans, will never get to hear the music the way it was composed.

im sure it was made with the intentions of playing out on large PA, but do you think Autechre and their close friends dont have cd copies of board recordings of this set? hell no, they are all fucking listening to it i can guarantee it.

they just want to keep it out of our hands for reasons ive illustrated below (read)

i was talking to gl0tch about my theory of why they dont want this recording to be leaked in its pure directly recorded form...

ego / embarrassment / fear of being thought of differently than their LP persona / double life being revealed

Autechre has led a double musical life for the past 3 years. They play very very catchy dance music at live shows and record very difficult very hard for most people to digest electronic music on CD.

I think part of it is they don't want this other side of them revealed to the public at large,they want to keep it exclusive to the club going show going audiences. I definitely think artsy egos come in to play. Sure the Wire might write a live show review and say something along the lines of 'wow this is the most mainstream autechre has ever sounded' but about 95% of the fans unless they went to the show will never have proof of this fact, and imo autechre wants to keep it that way. They are unsure of themselves and slightly embarrassed that this music in some ways is very straight forward, its like they are less confident about this approach than they are about just confusing the fuck out of people (confield, draft, untilted). Its strange but i definitely think something internally psychological is at play here. Autechre feels more comfortable and in a safe place when a large amount of people just cant understand or comprehend their music. The more generic appreciation people seem to have for their work such as Incunabula, and Amber the more Autechre appears to distance themselves from it, and imo this is just the most recent example.

Hey nice post count. By the way, how's the tour coming? Hope you are all traveling safely.

lol. that's what i thought too. that post sounds like Sean.

i can agree with them not wanting a straight soundboard recording out there. soundboard recordings tend to sound very brittle & dry & a bit flat, due to the fact that they are designing the sound coming out of their gear to compensate for the natural reverberation of the space & the tonal characterstics of the club pa. i'm sure they tweak this every night when they soundcheck.

i can agree with not wanting a live recording to come out while the tour is in progress. i hadn't heard any bootlegs when i went to the SF show & i was all the happier for it. there was more anticipation & excitement before & during the show. plus they make most of their money from touring so they want people to come to the shows and not sit home thinking "i'll just catch a bootleg of the concert instead".

what i don't understand is why they don't record the soundboard & room sound of each show (the gear to do that is very cheap & portable these days) & then when the tour is over, get in their studio & do a nice mix & master of the best show & release it however they see fit. especially since the live set is so different from their albums, your getting a whole hour of all new composed material. i don't see how this can be considered "milking it".

plus, they gotta realize that a live show for the audience is far from an ideal listening experience. they can have their top of the line gear & perfect club soundmix & their own soundman all they want, but:

first thing, if you're not wearing earplugs at their show you're just asking for it. most people (myself included) are just using the standard foam plugs provided by the venue. those things absolutely SMOTHER the soundmix. high end is just shot. i was playing with my plugs a bit during the gig a bit and i could tell i was losing A LOT of what Rob was doing. machinedrum was coming thru loud and clear but Rob was doing a lot of subtle stuff with his Nord that was just getting destroyed by the earplugs and the ambient crowd noise. you've also got people talking, shouting, clinking bottles & glasses, moving about, dancing & bumping into you, etc.

i still don't know what their exact position on the whole live recording thing is. i don't think we should take what the soundguy is saying as straight from the mouth of autechre. but i really wish they would reconsider their position on the whole live release thing. i just don't get what they are thinking. their sets are composed unique for each tour & i consider them like this whole other part of their discography that we are not getting access to (except thru the not so great live listening experience or bootlegs).

what i don't understand is why they don't record the soundboard & room sound of each show (the gear to do that is very cheap & portable these days) & then when the tour is over, get in their studio & do a nice mix & master of the best show & release it however they see fit. especially since the live set is so different from their albums, your getting a whole hour of all new composed material. i don't see how this can be considered "milking it".

i do not agree that doing that would be hurting anybody. If you have self restraint you wont check it out before the show, i cant think of a single person whos a hardcore enough autechre fan to have heard a bootleg who wouldn't go see a show of them because it might be the same material.

I also dont understand this nonsense about soundboard recordings being too 'dry'... how the hell do you think Autechre heard it when they themselves made it? Did they play it in a gigantic club with immense reverb while composing? absolutely unlikely. I want to hear the music the same way they heard it, and a direct/soundboard recording is the music in its purest form.

imo the logic of saying a soundboard recording doesn't sound good is like saying 'nah man i don't like the confield cd, i prefer to hear a recording of it played in a huge fucking room'. Its like saying you dont want the original of a painting youd rather have a photocopy. The soundboard gives the listener the option to play it over a huge sound system, in their car or on a shitty pair of earbud headphones. they can do with it what they like, but if its an audience recording only they will always be listening to it through a pair of somebody elses speakers in a specific room, why on earth would you want to limit your enjoyment like that?

Autechre is so incredibly detailed with mixing and generating sounds that from the soundboards ive heard of theirs they sound pretty much as high quality and polished as a released studio album.

but the reason i quoted that above is because i agree that would be a good idea, just pretty much disagree with everything else :)

The sound guy sounds like a knob jockey, a sad nerd fool twat bucket cock sucking loser

yeah, sometimes i just dont know what to think of AE. in their interviews at least for the most party they come off as very friendly likable people, but sometimes they also seem to be very uptight, insecure about their own music and just really fucking torturous to their own fans (i was shocked quaristice was on bleep early, that was probably the nicest fan nod theyve done in a long time)

its almost as if they resent how hardcore and dedicated some of their fans are, similar to aphex twin how in his own discogs reviews (look up user 'pissflaps' ) he says things like 'now smojphace, that was a release separating the wheat from the chaf of fans, good move on rdjs part!" well you got me rjd, because that release is fucking embarrassing and sounds like 10 year Vsnares. you should seriously be ashamed of yourself for that piece of shit.

i do not agree that doing that would be hurting anybody. If you have self restraint you wont check it out before the show, i cant think of a single person whos a hardcore enough autechre fan to have heard a bootleg who wouldn't go see a show of them because it might be the same material.

i choose not to see them on the Untilted tour because i wasn't crazy about the bootlegs i heard beforehand. mainly, i was turned off by just how similar each set sounded. i figured since each set wasn't really that unique, why go thru the hassle/expense of seeing them live?

I also dont understand this nonsense about soundboard recordings being too 'dry'... how the hell do you think Autechre heard it when they themselves made it?

they heard it exactly as it is: an inferior mix stripped of almost all spatial qualities for a utilitarian purpose: to not sound like mush when played in a club with a big sound system. almost all reverbs are gone & bass is reduced. good for a live show but weak as a recorded piece of music.

those Untilted soundboards totally sound flat and brittle to me. sure i enjoy them, and can eq them to taste, but if that came out as an album i would definitely think something was wrong with it. look at Quaristice. it has reverb all over it. Autechre are anal by their own admission and i can see them not wanting their music heard that way. what i don't understand is why they don't employ the tech easily available to get a good live recording.

but the reason i quoted that above is because i agree that would be a good idea, just pretty much disagree with everything else :)

fair enough. i still have a feeling there will be a live release of this tour from them at some point, but who knows what they are thinking at this point?

i choose not to see them on the Untilted tour because i wasn't crazy about the bootlegs i heard beforehand. mainly, i was turned off by just how similar each set sounded. i figured since each set wasn't really that unique, why go thru the hassle/expense of seeing them live?

I also dont understand this nonsense about soundboard recordings being too 'dry'... how the hell do you think Autechre heard it when they themselves made it?

they heard it exactly as it is: an inferior mix stripped of almost all spatial qualities for a utilitarian purpose: to not sound like mush when played in a club with a big sound system. almost all reverbs are gone & bass is reduced. good for a live show but weak as a recorded piece of music.

those Untilted soundboards totally sound flat and brittle to me. sure i enjoy them, and can eq them to taste, but if that came out as an album i would definitely think something was wrong with it. look at Quaristice. it has reverb all over it. Autechre are anal by their own admission and i can see them not wanting their music heard that way. what i don't understand is why they don't employ the tech easily available to get a good live recording.

fair enough. i still have a feeling there will be a live release of this tour from them at some point, but who knows what they are thinking at this point?

Quaristice has reverb all over it sure, does Untilted? no, there is very little reverb or delay on that entire album, and when there is its not done in a traditional way to give it space its used as more of a psychacoustic effect. It actually sounds quite similar to me in production style (the dryness) to the Untilted LP. Im not really getting the 'brittle' impression of that set, to me it sounds very clean crisp punchy and exactly what i expect from a quality AE studio album. And i personally dislike reverb use in most music, so maybe the dryness in general appeals to me more.

And i think you are definitly in the minority about not going to see the Untilted show because you heard the recording first.

Think about it, how many AE fans like yourself are hardcore enough to hear a bootleg before the tour has even come to your town? not very many, and myself personally the recording did nothing but pump me up for the show and make me very excited to finally hear it on a loud banging sound system. From my perspective and judging from a lot of the other peoples experiences here it seems like a lot of the people (maybe 50%) of the people who attend Ae's shows, especially in the US dont even keep up with their current catalog. You hear a guy yell out Tri Repeate on one recording, another recoring 2 dudes are like 'this sounds nothing like autechre'. I mean shit if thats like the most audible spoken comments about shows to show up on recordings i would even be willing to bet more like 90% dont even know there is a new Gescom out.

Guest Tankakern
Autechre has led a double musical life for the past 3 years.

I agree with you here. I do feel however that to hear the lp's would be to understand where the live set is coming from – a point of reference if you will. I can expand on this.

All in all, i think its a shame that we might never recieve a high quality soundboard recording from this tour and appreciate the music for all its detail and naunces. Its the best live set yet, really striped down, immediate anti-intellectual material.

Talking of appealing to gig goers, i once went to an unanounced gig they played around the time of the release of draft in manchester at what was called then The Zumbar. The set was unbelivable – never to be heard again im sure. A great night and there was only a handful of people there!

Alas, there seems to be only two gigs left for the current tour. Maybe there's will be a miracle and a) the soundboardist won't be attending and b) somebody from Japan reads this board who will be going to the gig to make a recording.

Talking of appealing to gig goers, i once went to an unanounced gig they played around the time of the release of draft in manchester at what was called then The Zumbar. The set was unbelivable – never to be heard again im sure. A great night and there was only a handful of people there!

you have given me musical blue balls for the rest of my life

but wow good info, are you sure you arent Autechre

Guest Tankakern

Temporarily i wish i was. I would transfer a soundboard recording to my computer.

re: the one-off Zumbar gig – push button objects and Rob Hall played too. Ae were

simply amazing. It was an extra special treat since they did not tour draft.

I wish they would just sit in their studio and record themselves playing the live material for an hour.

I wouldn't want an official audience recording of the tour. There is no way to possibly recreate the experience of seeing them live, so why bother trying? I just want to hear the subtleties of the performance that I missed due to the fact that some of it was either too quiet or to the fact that I was moving around and really getting into the beats. I mean, their live material is so good. I understand that they have entirely no obligation to "fans", and I understand that it is a very good idea not to leak anything while a tour is happening. But I just want to hear the music. I listen to my AE soundboards loads of times. Not nearly as much as the albums of course, but I just like the music. I realize it is not how it was initially intended to be heard and that moment will be forever lost, but that doesn't mean that there aren't plenty of things worth hearing in the live recordings.

If Sean or Rob or the sound guy come back on and read this, it is worth noting that I (one of the biggest ae fans on this board probably) initially went head over heels for Ae after hearing a live recording that was circulating the web way back when.

Guest moo duck

yes, i'm stupid autechre junk and my favourite song is:

Why do you think we throw stuff at you?

You own all our cd's- you're gay, you're gay

You own all our 7"s- you're gay, you're gay

You bought all our t-shirts- you're gay, you're gay

You go to all our shows- you're gay, you're gay

All our fans are gay!

All our fans are gay!

All our fans are gay!

All our fans are gay!

You think you know what we are singing about- you're wrong

You think we care about the underground- you're wrong

You think we won't fuck up your club- you're wrong

You think we care if you like us- you're wrong

All our fans are gay!

All our fans are gay!

All our fans are gay!

All our fans are gay!

If we're nice to you, it's because we're broke

Or unless you got some drugs to smoke

When the drugs are gone, then we are too

Then we'll go back to making fun of you

[Fan voice]

"But I've supported you guys for so long"

FAGGOT!

I listen to my AE soundboards loads of times. Not nearly as much as the albums of course, but I just like the music. I realize it is not how it was initially intended to be heard and that moment will be forever lost, but that doesn't mean that there aren't plenty of things worth hearing in the live recordings.

Ditto. Actually, I find myself listening to the Untitlted soundboard from Glasgow MUCH more than either Untitled or Quaristice. I'd hate to see what happens if I got a proper soundboard of this set.

ACTUALLY, maybe that's it. They dont want to release soundboards of their live stuff b/c they are afraid they wont sell records anymore. That would be stupid.

I would buy there records no matter what.

Thats why I think they should just do like ep's or something of "live material" even if it is not necessarily the live material from the tour. Their live material is just so different, and in a good way. It would just be nice to have copies of the stuff. I mean, so they release their album Quaristice. How cool would it be, if just before the next album they release an "ep" of them in their studio recording the live stuff.

It could be like that for all their albums. Seriously. Maybe it would be cool if they did it only as a limited edition thing.

Incunabula-Ae live at OSC

Tri Repatae-Live at Flex

LP5-Live in New York 2000

Confield-Live at toronto

Untilted-Live at Hemsby

Quaristice-Live in LA or wherever.

Seriously though, they have like an ep's worth of live material for each album. It would be so cool if they did that. Although they don't seem like the type to be really into fostering a website or anything like that. But it would be cool if they did a collectors series of recordings live King Crimson or the Grateful Dead does.

Guest moo duck

livesets great but they are just easy to listen to. but things like gl0tch ready to exchange album stuff for live stuff seems absurdly for me. though some stuff from live can be much more appreciated if to compare with quaristice tracks, not the single else.

best tracks from recent live-programs for gescom releases would be nice decision never made. gescom alias is ok for double 'dancefloor' life.

livesets great but they are just easy to listen to. but things like gl0tch ready to exchange album stuff for live stuff seems absurdly for me. though some stuff from live can be much more appreciated if to compare with quaristice tracks, not the single else.

best tracks from recent live-programs for gescom releases would be nice decision never made. gescom alias is ok for double 'dancefloor' life.

haha, i honestly find the gescom's dancefloor side especially with this recent A1-D1 release very very lackluster and badly executed. Id prefer to hear the quaristrice live set tour any day over this piece of crap pluderphonic acid techno.

Yes the quaristce and untilted tours are pretty easy to listen to but they still have AE's cutting edge sounds and vibe to it, whilst still be being dancey.

Temporarily i wish i was. I would transfer a soundboard recording to my computer.

re: the one-off Zumbar gig – push button objects and Rob Hall played too. Ae were

simply amazing. It was an extra special treat since they did not tour draft.

fuck, what year was it and what was the date? its possible someone recorded it

Archived