IGNORED

Xltronic cock tease marathon

awepittance

Guest moo duck

best tracks from recent live-programs for gescom releases would be nice decision never made. gescom alias is ok for double 'dancefloor' life.

haha, i honestly find the gescom's dancefloor side especially with this recent A1-D1 release very very lackluster and badly executed. Id prefer to hear the quaristrice live set tour any day over this piece of crap pluderphonic acid techno.

i mean to push tracks out of untilted/quaristice live, those without any layers directly referencing to the album, being edited & released as gescom somelike they've once done with ISS:SA. in case to represent this lost in tour but important side (cutting-edge\weird groove\vibe etc).

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Enter a new display name

They should release their live footage on Bleep if they are afraid of selling poorly, I don't know... Anyway, I'm sure they have a good reason to not release this. They might just want their fans to hear their "secondary style" during an event.

Autechre has led a double musical life for the past 3 years. They play very very catchy dance music at live shows and record very difficult very hard for most people to digest electronic music on CD.

I think part of it is they don't want this other side of them revealed to the public at large,they want to keep it exclusive to the club going show going audiences. I definitely think artsy egos come in to play. Sure the Wire might write a live show review and say something along the lines of 'wow this is the most mainstream autechre has ever sounded' but about 95% of the fans unless they went to the show will never have proof of this fact, and imo autechre wants to keep it that way. They are unsure of themselves and slightly embarrassed that this music in some ways is very straight forward, its like they are less confident about this approach than they are about just confusing the fuck out of people (confield, draft, untilted). Its strange but i definitely think something internally psychological is at play here. Autechre feels more comfortable and in a safe place when a large amount of people just cant understand or comprehend their music. The more generic appreciation people seem to have for their work such as Incunabula, and Amber the more Autechre appears to distance themselves from it, and imo this is just the most recent example.

I find it hard not to agree with this. The live sets (Untilted and Quaristice) have knocked the shit out of me for the past two years plus. I DON'T understand why they can't throw the fantastic stuff that they play live on to cd. Quaristice is a cool album in parts, but it doesn't deliver......Altibzz is up there in my top ten of their tunes, but after that.....if they had released either of the last two tour sets split up in to tracks as an album it would have blown my head clean off. You shouldn't have to struggle to enjoy an album.

And.....i don't understand why they wrecked SIMMM half way through. Starts off with a beautiful melody...then turns to dissonant junk. WHY!?!?!?!?! For Fuck's Sake, WHY!??!?

Guest moo duck
And.....i don't understand why they wrecked SIMMM half way through. Starts off with a beautiful melody...then turns to dissonant junk. WHY!?!?!?!?! For Fuck's Sake, WHY!??!?

hello imma autecher sound engineer hello-o. its called autecher's taste. you also can call it 'artsy ego thing'.

wow yr gay.

Sorry about those harsh comments actually, i was pretty hammered. I'll retract the dissonant junk comment, but I'm not gonna say i dig it, it's just too noisy.....i love the ending of it though. I remember sitting there with my mate (who is also mad in to ae) the first time we listened to it, and we were blown away by the intro, then when it all starts to fall apart i remember him going to tap his foot we he thought that that melody was gonna come back in, and it didn't, and you could tell the two of us were mad disappointed but were trying to hide it.

And Rook, don't call me gay. I'm entitled to dislike a particular passage of an autechre song if i want, there's no need to be offensive.

Guest Enter a new display name

I listened to Quaristice yesterday night while laying down on my bed and I swear that album is (near) perfect. I won't let anybody say anything negative about the album!

By the way, do you still consider Quaristice among Autechre's worst albums, Rook? I think it's been a long time enough to fully understand Quaristice, in my case.

I remember sitting there with my mate (who is also mad in to ae) the first time we listened to it, and we were blown away by the intro, then when it all starts to fall apart i remember him going to tap his foot we he thought that that melody was gonna come back in, and it didn't, and you could tell the two of us were mad disappointed but were trying to hide it.

oh my

Guest AWATDOD

the music ae play live is made to sound as good as possible in a club/gig venue, it never sounds as good when recorded from the soundboard and played on a home stereo cos it wasnt designed for that. it usually sounds a lot dryer and the mix is completely different, comparative levels of freq bands change according to loudness curves, as well as ear-compression affecting the relationship between different elements, some of which are louder than they would be if mixed for smaller speakers.

mic recordings are better, even better is a well mixed soundboard combined with a good stereo pair mounted above the crowd.

but neither are as good as the gig itself.

its a 2-way subjective process, playing live. thats why stand up comedy is funnier if ur in the room. if there was a way to get all the experience of being there onto a cd then they probably would. they would also probably not bother touring (cos what would be the point)

not too many people have d&b rigs in their homes, if they did, then the production on ae's studio albums would sound a lot more like their live sets. if ae had crowds of cheering strangers in their studio then the pace and flow would also be more similar.

its pretty straightforward, really.

yeah, sometimes i just dont know what to think of AE. in their interviews at least for the most party they come off as very friendly likable people, but sometimes they also seem to be very uptight, insecure about their own music and just really fucking torturous to their own fans

Why would you think they feel insecure? They might just not want people copying their live style or something. It's not unusual for artists to try to protect their 'secrets.' That's their choice and is not at all some malicious act intended to torture 'poor fans' like you. You act like they owe you something! Grow up dude.

its almost as if they resent how hardcore and dedicated some of their fans are

This is also ridiculous. Stop and think about what you wrote. Can you picture them saying to each other, "this is rubbish, how much people like our music, innit?"

Guest Tankakern
the music ae play live is made to sound as good as possible in a club/gig venue, it never sounds as good when recorded from the soundboard and played on a home stereo cos it wasnt designed for that. it usually sounds a lot dryer and the mix is completely different, comparative levels of freq bands change according to loudness curves, as well as ear-compression affecting the relationship between different elements, some of which are louder than they would be if mixed for smaller speakers.

mic recordings are better, even better is a well mixed soundboard combined with a good stereo pair mounted above the crowd.

its a 2-way subjective process, playing live. thats why stand up comedy is funnier if ur in the room. if there was a way to get all the experience of being there onto a cd then they probably would. they would also probably not bother touring (cos what would be the point)

not too many people have d&b rigs in their homes, if they did, then the production on ae's studio albums would sound a lot more like their live sets. if ae had crowds of cheering strangers in their studio then the pace and flow would also be more similar.

okay.

why did ae want to intially record their untilted set then release it for home use?

I listen to the glasgow 2005 recording more than i do the actual lp.

&

all this 'oh it sounds better when live' is nonsense. it is quite clear that this

is better when live, in a big room with a good pa – yet this does not stop me

wanting to get hold of a good soundboard recording, something which doesnt have

the sound of idiots talking among themselves or shouting requests for past material.

okay.

why did ae want to intially record their untilted set then release it for home use?

I listen to the glasgow 2005 recording more than i do the actual lp.

&

all this 'oh it sounds better when live' is nonsense. it is quite clear that this

is better when live, in a big room with a good pa – yet this does not stop me

wanting to get hold of a good soundboard recording, something which doesnt have

the sound of idiots talking among themselves or shouting requests for past material.

couldnt agree more, i dont understand all this talk about 'well autechre must have done it for good reason, truth is I DONT EVEN WANT A SOUNDBOARD' , are you fucking insane? what kind of autechre fan are you? haha i just cant comprehend this mindset. Sure ill buy the argument for a second that Quaristices new tour music isnt met to be heard at home (i really think this is bullshit but ill go along with it)... even so, being the hardcore AE fans we are who gives a shit, we still want that soundboard right?

Why would you think they feel insecure? They might just not want people copying their live style or something. It's not unusual for artists to try to protect their 'secrets.' That's their choice and is not at all some malicious act intended to torture 'poor fans' like you. You act like they owe you something! Grow up dude.

how would you feel if you had just seen one of the greatest films of all time in the theatre, and then when you get home from the movie read that its never coming out on video for as long as you live. The only 'copies' of it you can find are shitty shakey Cam recorded torrents. If you can be content living like this that is your perogative, i fucking cant and im dying to have that live set. sorry if you think this is childish, i just htink its being really passionate about amazing electronic music.

wrong

Autechre has led a double musical life for the past 3 years. They play very very catchy dance music at live shows and record very difficult very hard for most people to digest electronic music on CD.

I think part of it is they don't want this other side of them revealed to the public at large,they want to keep it exclusive to the club going show going audiences. I definitely think artsy egos come in to play. Sure the Wire might write a live show review and say something along the lines of 'wow this is the most mainstream autechre has ever sounded' but about 95% of the fans unless they went to the show will never have proof of this fact, and imo autechre wants to keep it that way. They are unsure of themselves and slightly embarrassed that this music in some ways is very straight forward, its like they are less confident about this approach than they are about just confusing the fuck out of people (confield, draft, untilted). Its strange but i definitely think something internally psychological is at play here. Autechre feels more comfortable and in a safe place when a large amount of people just cant understand or comprehend their music. The more generic appreciation people seem to have for their work such as Incunabula, and Amber the more Autechre appears to distance themselves from it, and imo this is just the most recent example.

I find it hard not to agree with this. The live sets (Untilted and Quaristice) have knocked the shit out of me for the past two years plus. I DON'T understand why they can't throw the fantastic stuff that they play live on to cd. Quaristice is a cool album in parts, but it doesn't deliver......Altibzz is up there in my top ten of their tunes, but after that.....if they had released either of the last two tour sets split up in to tracks as an album it would have blown my head clean off. You shouldn't have to struggle to enjoy an album.

:beer:

on a sidenote: didn't squarepusher release some pseudo live tracks on ultravisitor? those tracks sounded fine. i don't understand why it wouldn't be possible ae can't make a good live-release. well, ok i don't *want* to believe. but still, i do think i have a point.

if ae released a "live" album a la Ultravisitor, I would be pretty disappointed. I think that album is a perfect example of why NOT to release live material.

Which is why I vote for them just sitting in their studio and recording live for an hour and giving it to us.

Soundboard is the next best thing though.

I know I will never be able to recreate seeing them live, but that just isn't why I want a soundboard. I just want to listen to and enjoy the music like I do with all the other Ae soundboard recordings. I'll never know what it was like to be at the Flex in 1996, but I still listen to and enjoy that soundboard a lot.

if ae released a "live" album a la Ultravisitor, I would be pretty disappointed. I think that album is a perfect example of why NOT to release live material.

Which is why I vote for them just sitting in their studio and recording live for an hour and giving it to us.

Soundboard is the next best thing though.

I know I will never be able to recreate seeing them live, but that just isn't why I want a soundboard. I just want to listen to and enjoy the music like I do with all the other Ae soundboard recordings. I'll never know what it was like to be at the Flex in 1996, but I still listen to and enjoy that soundboard a lot.

yeah i agree that Squarepusher live disc was an absolute joke, it was not even 'live'. for the squarepusher shows ive seen of his there is a good amount of unreleased or improvised sections, but in this "alive in japan"show it sounds like he just pressed play on a cd and left the fucking stage

i like the Alive In Japan disc.

anyway that isn't from a soundboard copy. well, not entirely anyway. (?)

then it WOULD sound like the CD.

personally i like the sound of the LA recording. i mean, if it's "meant to be heard over a PA" then miking the room is actually the best way to record it. because like, you hear the room.

The brats. The idiots who came on this forum and demanded a soundboard recording as if it was their god given right. They ruined it for everyone. End of story.

yeah they ruined it for everyone. fucking idiotic logic my friend

i like the Alive In Japan disc.

anyway that isn't from a soundboard copy. well, not entirely anyway. (?)

then it WOULD sound like the CD.

personally i like the sound of the LA recording. i mean, if it's "meant to be heard over a PA" then miking the room is actually the best way to record it. because like, you hear the room.

i wouldnt mind if a really amazing recording was done of the music being played in the room, i can just tell the LA one wasnt done on a particularly great recording rig.

Guest Tankakern

how would you feel if you had just seen one of the greatest films of all time in the theatre, and then when you get home from the movie read that its never coming out on video for as long as you live. The only 'copies' of it you can find are shitty shakey Cam recorded torrents. If you can be content living like this that is your perogative, i fucking cant and im dying to have that live set. sorry if you think this is childish, i just htink its being really passionate about amazing electronic music.

> That is exactly the same analogy i was going to use. I think the people who are strongly objecting to a soundboard recording are most likely connected to the band or it could be the soundboardist himself – then there's Dr Clitterhaus, whose just a nobody.

When Derick May or Juan Atkins make music do they decide not release it on the basis that it would sound 'better' and have the potential of a great appeal through a huge pa system? No of course. But all this talk wont lead to a soundboard recording....it seems as though ae do not want it to happen, which however frustrating this might be (!!!!!!!!), it is fair enough.

Guest moo duck
When Derick May or Juan Atkins make music do they decide not release it on the basis that it would sound 'better' and have the potential of a great appeal through a huge pa system? No of course.

sorry but this examples aren't fair at all. Derrick just plays dj-sets and Juan very rarely does live PA. they both rarely make music for the last decade. their music also have had a huge difference production-wise from what Rob & Sean do.

autechre case is that the recording of it anyway have some fantastic detail depth not to be heard other way incl. live performing way. it would be far from perfect, not what autechre want of it without context. though fantastic anyway.

Guest dangulberry

Soundboard recordings of Ae's recent gigs (e.g. Pontins) sound nice, but very 'light'. Mic'd room recordings on the other hand sound seriously heavy in parts, and you can imagine (but not hear) the physicality of the lower frequencies on the night. I fully understand why Ae don't want the soundboards out there, at least until the tour is over. Doesn't stop me craving one though, but I reckon I'd also be disappointed that the live feel is missing.

I dunno - people are arguing over this, but it seems like there's nothing to argue over really. If I cared about how my live set was heard on the night, then it makes sense I would care about how it is heard at other times (i.e. recorded). I would also care that people's memories of the live event are affected by hearing a soundboard recording.

And statements about Ae being 'embarrassed' by what they're doing live are really silly. I don't think they would perform music that they thought was crap. I also don't think they have some 'artsy' profile to protect. Just listen to Quaristice. Some of it is very square dancefloor material. I do think that they wanted to do a more accessible live set than the confield-era stuff. But clearly that doesn't entail that they are creating and performing music that isn't to their tastes.

Maybe everyone is just smarting, after realising that a sb is very unlikely to turn up now, and that's why criticisms are being levelled at Ae.

Archived