IGNORED

room isolation

foresense

Yeah, egg boxes won't help much with low frequencies - which is what'll be the main problem...

Thick walls is the only real answer tbh... Or stuff something in the bass port and place your monitors on sponges or something... Helps avoid low frequencies travelling through tables, floors, etc...

Egg boxes, or shaped foam on your walls, won't really do a thing to stop sound (or more specifically, bass) from leaking out to your neighbours. All they are used for is reducing sound reflections in the upper frequencies, so you can hear your monitors better inside the room.

The only truly effective way to stop bass from getting out of your room is to construct a floating cavity floor/ceiling/walls, usually double-layered dense particleboard, with at least a 4-inch gap, insulated with a dense fibre like rockwool, mounted on soft rubber spacers, and fitted with purpose-designed composite rubber sheeting. All joins need to be made airtight. If you do it really well, you might get a 20db reduction in the 80-150Hz region.

Anyone got a picture of the group Can in their 1970's Cologne studio? They converted an old cinema into a giant recording space, and apparently covered all the walls and the ceiling in mattresses.

Edit : found some..

studio2b.jpg

Okay I can actually buy a bunch of cheap matrasses, that's a possibility. Would be fun - kind of like a mental institution with one of those cells with padded walls. I'll try that sponge idea also, although the speakers are already on pieces of foam and it's not doing a lot..

The headphones.... meh :laughing:

yeah, simplest method is to buy 4 or 5 decent tog quilts and hang them on your wall from ceiling to floor (nail or staplegun them to a bit of timber then fix this to the wall like a curtain rail).

ps - i just made this up. but i think it might just work.... :fear:

quilts would be good for mic recordings but wouldn't isolate sound. i'm also talking out my arse tho, so.

they would.

if you had 1000 piled on top of each other.

Yeah im blasting it now, the thing is that downstairs live a pakistani couple and they're blasting this islamic singing now underneath winter in the belly of a snake. Ironic.

Next to me britney spears is put a notch higher and i think i can faintly hear some tupac too now haha. It's like a chain reaction.

This will get annoying though as soon as I want to go to bed.

Archived