IGNORED

Hella

SR4

i have absolutely no idea how popular they are....but theres a bit of a backstory.

i lived with my ffriends who were in a band that toured with another band named Capsule, we did shows in our basement to the tune of a hundred people or so in DC now and then. anyways, i was chattin up the guys in capsule(great band btw), and they recommended me Hella's Hold Your Horse Is.

what great mindbending offkilter stuff this is.....apparently its just a drummer and a guitarist.

try out 1-800-Ghostdance for starters.....its like the vikings charging out from the hills to burn down a local village...great stuff.

I thought this was going to be a thread about the word hella, in which I was going to air my grievance about how it's not an abbreviated slang like "coulda" or "gonna", but in fact a nonsensical adjective that sounds jarring if you replace it with "hell of".

But I guess it's some band.

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

only got hold your horse is and its incredible stuff but i'm not in the mood for it very often.

my wife knows them from sacramento i guess.

Guest cuntlicker

hella was awesome until they took on like 4 more people in the band... i saw them about 6 months ago and it was very disappointing, but hill is still one of the best drummers around.

i think him and prefuse 73 are actually coming out with an album together soon... should be interesting

i remember hearing about this band like four years ago from a friend. never really wanted to check them out cause the names always bothered me so much..

so, i echo braintrees comment above

i use hella hell of a lot...

anyway, hella was good, hold your horse is is probably my favorite of theirs, as they released more albums it got more processed and less interesting. the new shit is horrible with keyboards and bad singing

nervous cop is an album/project with zach hill from hella, the drummer from deerhoof and joanna newsom. it was my first ooooo experimental! album i got

edit: and yeah lightning bolt > hella

Guest frank belko

hold your horse is rocks. haven't listened to their later stuff. of course, like everybody else it seems, i prefer lightning bolt. but i really enjoy the math aspects of hella

capsule is amazing too

hold your horse is rocks. haven't listened to their later stuff. of course, like everybody else it seems, i prefer lightning bolt. but i really enjoy the math aspects of hella

capsule is amazing too

ahhh a fellow capsule fan!!!

they are stand up guys too...just a bunch of stoners chillin in Florida. we got to open for them while they were touring in dc for the Blue release....great album.

Guest bitroast

yeah, i love Hold Your Horse Is. i've also heard there's no 666 in outer space but prefer the non-vocal stuff. i think i prefer zach hill's solo album to there's no 666 in outer space. hmm. probably need at least one more listen or so to come up with proper opinion.

lightning bolt are awesoem too. they're awhole lot more full on but seem to be associated together a fair bit.

oh, and the advantage is good fun too for some nes music covered properly. boredom has led me to checking out other video game cover bands, and noone seems to get it right like the advantage. which is fun to listen to every now and then.

I've seen them twice. Once when they didn't have like 2-3 others and once when they did. Their new stuff is technically amazing, but their old stuff is way more awesome and energetic. Watching that guy drum live is fucking amazing. They kind of remind me of a live instrument version of venetian snares(in only the best of ways).

oh, and the advantage is good fun too for some nes music covered properly. boredom has led me to checking out other video game cover bands, and noone seems to get it right like the advantage. which is fun to listen to every now and then.

duracell

Guest bitroast

yeah! i love that one. the crowd is amazing.

they need to release more music. it's such a tease only having 4 or so really good mega man covers by them.

Guest plangplang

Hella, yes , yes indeed...

hmm i'll cling with the general consensus that Hold Your Horse Is may be their best work...

have to listen to Lightning Bolt more, if they seem to be better at that kind of music...? What i've heard imo Hella are more sharp/precise in execution though...?

Anyways, to me Hella lost all their originality points when listening to the band U.S. Maple which came before and has to be a major influence on them:

okay they're not as fast, but more creative with arrangements...

Archived