IGNORED

Bacon Cheese Pizza Burger

Joyrex

This is a true fucking story--my dad is quite persnickety, definitely even OCD at times and since he's been a clinical laboratory scientist for 30 years, it doesn't help matters. If meat wasn't nearly charred on the outside and grey on the inside, he wouldn't eat it. So my mom abided and every T-Bone, Kansas City strip, filet mignon, roast, flank steak, etc. I ever knew from childhood up until age 17 was cooked out of its mind into well done oblivion. I never knew any different.

I got a girlfriend her family took me to Outback Steakhouse (oh, the salad days). Her dad ordered his steak "medium" and, seriously, I didn't know exactly what that meant. I saw the red and juices everywhere and was captivated. A bit later, we went to another steakhouse and I read the guide on the menu. I gave "medium well" a shot and I couldn't believe the flavors and textures I had been missing out on! It's kind of like when Karl Childers goes back to his insane dad in '"Slingblade" and tells him "I've been studying on the Bible a fair bit. Reckon I don't understand a lot of it. But I understand enough to know most of 'dem stories you told us ain't in there."

My mom apologizes now; she likes her beef medium to medium well too but she was all, "what could I do? You know your dad."

You know, my family is the same way. We always had everything well done, burnt to a crisp. Only in the last 6 or 7 years have I started to make or order medium steaks or burgers from restaurants. It's like eating meat for the first time.

This is a true fucking story--my dad is quite persnickety, definitely even OCD at times and since he's been a clinical laboratory scientist for 30 years, it doesn't help matters. If meat wasn't nearly charred on the outside and grey on the inside, he wouldn't eat it. So my mom abided and every T-Bone, Kansas City strip, filet mignon, roast, flank steak, etc. I ever knew from childhood up until age 17 was cooked out of its mind into well done oblivion. I never knew any different.

I got a girlfriend her family took me to Outback Steakhouse (oh, the salad days). Her dad ordered his steak "medium" and, seriously, I didn't know exactly what that meant. I saw the red and juices everywhere and was captivated. A bit later, we went to another steakhouse and I read the guide on the menu. I gave "medium well" a shot and I couldn't believe the flavors and textures I had been missing out on! It's kind of like when Karl Childers goes back to his insane dad in '"Slingblade" and tells him "I've been studying on the Bible a fair bit. Reckon I don't understand a lot of it. But I understand enough to know most of 'dem stories you told us ain't in there."

My mom apologizes now; she likes her beef medium to medium well too but she was all, "what could I do? You know your dad."

You know, my family is the same way. We always had everything well done, burnt to a crisp. Only in the last 6 or 7 years have I started to make or order medium steaks or burgers from restaurants. It's like eating meat for the first time.

poster.jpg

even better, human flesh

^^^ awesome movie

Archived