IGNORED

weird paranoia: afraid of saying "i love you" to the wrong people on the phone

Fred McGriff

yeah i have this really weird fear of one day saying "i love you" to the wrong person like my manager or something when i'm done with a teleconference. because normally the only people i talk to on the phone are my wife and my parents and i always tell them that i love them when i get off the phone, because i am disney like that. but all i can think about when i'm talking to a coworker or client is "dont say i love you dont say i love you dont say i love you" pretty much the whole time. one of these days i'm gonna do it and i'm gonna get slapped with a sexual harrassment charge or something f'ed up like that.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
hmmm yeah maybe that just needs to become my thing

Oh, uh-uh, I beat you to it.

It's called action formation.  People have a ready response for things like "How are you?", to which most people reply "Fine."  The typical response to "I love you, good-bye" is almost always "Love you too."

When I worked in fast food, a couple coworkers decided to play games in the drive through, so they started saying "meow" while taking orders (a la Supertroopers).

One guy got to about seventeen in one order before the customer said 

"It's 'sir'."

one time i was hanging out with my girlfriend, and called my mom for some favor or question or something. she picked up and i instinctively said "hey babe" like i was calling my girlfriend. death.

Guest Franklin

Fred I've got the same problem... i have no social life whatsoever.. so one day I'm talking to my mom and i say "Hi cutie (that's what i call my ladyfriend)".... one time with a CLIENT i said "bye cutie see you later" LOL. my client... a MAN said "who the hell are you talking to?" and I was like "um sorry i think there was a mix-up in my brain"

now i'm terrified of doing it all the time so i sometimes repeat the client's name during the convo just so i remember who i'm talking to.

Guest Deep Fried Everything
but all i can think about when i'm talking to a coworker or client is "dont say i love you dont say i love you dont say i love you" pretty much the whole time.

this was my favorite part :kiss:

i talk on the phone too often to make a mix-up like this, although i was talking to my grandfather once last year on the phone and i said "right hurrrr" instead of "right here"... which was Really odd considering i never say right hurrr anyways..

i never say i lvoe you to my parents

and i'm always weirded out when my friends or coworkers say it to me. if it's just a casual friend. i don't get why they say it. kind of makes me horny.

one time i was hanging out with my girlfriend, and called my mom for some favor or question or something. she picked up and i instinctively said "hey babe" like i was calling my girlfriend. death.

yessss

Fred I've got the same problem... i have no social life whatsoever.. so one day I'm talking to my mom and i say "Hi cutie (that's what i call my ladyfriend)".... one time with a CLIENT i said "bye cutie see you later" LOL. my client... a MAN said "who the hell are you talking to?" and I was like "um sorry i think there was a mix-up in my brain"

now i'm terrified of doing it all the time so i sometimes repeat the client's name during the convo just so i remember who i'm talking to.

YESSSSS

Guest assegai
but all i can think about when i'm talking to a coworker or client is "dont say i love you dont say i love you dont say i love you" pretty much the whole time.

this was my favorite part :kiss:

i talk on the phone too often to make a mix-up like this, although i was talking to my grandfather once last year on the phone and i said "right hurrrr" instead of "right here"... which was Really odd considering i never say right hurrr anyways..

Shit I mix up words like that every once and a while. Once instead of "coffee place" I said "coffee plahhhs". They never let it go.

Archived