IGNORED

Let's figure out BOC gear

Guest covenant

Guest BunnyRabbit
Please find a quote where they say they only use analogue?

From the Jockey Slut interview:

"Our electronic gear is a mixture of old and newer stuff. We like early-'80s analog synths quite a bit, and we have some other things from that era that we're a bit protective of. We don't use any of the recent analog-modeling kit. I'm convinced I can hear the difference between modelled and real analogue in music."

They never said it was exclusively analogue and I guess it doesn't matter either way. How they do it is their choice and just one way of doing music. I happen to agree with them but it's not a rule for everyone to follow. I suppose given the type of sound and era they're trying to evoke the real deal analogue kit is the quickest and best route to that.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest mafted
God I love the BOC subforum. I really don't know where to start. Against my better judgement I'll continue to play ball, although I'm pretty sure there's a dupe in this thread.

idk

they say they only use analog.. but in this day that is very hard to believe. if it's true, well that's awesome, but to me, Geogaddi sounds like Reason (beach at redpoint, sunshine recorder esp).. and Campfire is them getting more organic than ever with hardly any software. and TCH sounds totally analog.. but then again, detuning and micropitch shifting are very possible within software. it's almost impossible to tell.

Right, let's just suppose for one moment you're correct. Reason was first released at the end of 2000. Geogaddi was released Feb 2002. So that's a little over a year. So notoriously perfectionist, slow working, and hardware using BOC completely ditched their previous working method and adopted Reason 1.0, and bearing in mind all of the other work and time by the label that goes into releasing an album, managed to come up with Geogaddi in a matter of months. Wow.

Why would they have to ditch gear to run Reason? It's software. It is very easy to integrate it in to a digital or analogue set up. They could've just used it for drums or sampling or one of the synths .. it's not black or white.

Guest mafted

We don't use any of the recent analog-modeling kit. I'm convinced I can hear the difference between modelled and real analogue in music."

Nice. Good to see others don't believe in 'analog' microchips!! Where did the vacuum tubes go? lol

Guest BunnyRabbit

We don't use any of the recent analog-modeling kit. I'm convinced I can hear the difference between modelled and real analogue in music."

Nice. Good to see others don't believe in 'analog' microchips!! Where did the vacuum tubes go? lol

Into their tape machine for one.

“The great thing with machines such as the Grundig is that it's tragically bad. Whatever you record into it just doesn't come out unscathed. There's a ‘magic eye’ valve display on it, and when you hit the tape deck with the right volume, enough to fill out the magic eye, it's at that exact sweet spot that it is saturating the tape. So if you then sample back the playback, it's got a thousand years' grain on it.” Remix, 2005

Also, microchips, as in integrated circuits, can still be analogue. Look up SSM and Curtis chips to see how nuts people go over microchips on analogue synths. It's analogue vs digital we're talking about here.

http://bocpages.org/wiki/Equipment

thanx for your comments s'hitler.

i sense jealousy over the fact you cant afford real gear. keep playing with your vsti toys. youll grow up one day.

apologies to the angry euro kakapo...yes you never mentioned software. simply analogue vs. analogue synthesis.

people keep bringing up Reason when talking about the boc. i made an assumption and wasnt correct.

you are still a fucking douche bag though.

I'll be kind and assume 'analogue vs. analogue synthesis' is a typo.

I'll take this ad hominem stupidity as tacit acknowledgement that you're wrong. Thank you. For the record I use both hardware and software, including analogue, digital and hybrid. Sometimes ITB, sometimes purely hardware, often a mixture of both. They all have merits, but if I could have only one piece of hardware equipment, it wouldn't be one of my analogue synths, it would be one of my digital effects boxes, and I would be perfectly happy with that.

I'm not sure what 'real gear' is, but I will say that plenty of great music has been produced on very 'limited' equipment, and that there's a strong argument to be made that both techno and IDM came about because the innovators had access to cheap gear.

I've gently tried to push some of you towards a bit of critical thinking, take it or leave it. I'll leave this thread with one very important thought. BOC didn't reinvent the wheel. They produced music throughout the 90s. If you really wanted to have an informed discussion and speculate about their gear and working methods then perhaps a good place to start would be to take a look at how some of their peers were making music in the same time period, and start from there.

• 2 months later...
Guest hageir

Ok,

while browsing craigslist I found this:

Kawai K5000S Additive Synth.

Bought from Boards Of Canada after tour, has two issues, a few buttons dont work well, and one output (of 4) works fine but the cable has to be in just the right position but still works fine, otherwise synth functions as it should, amazing synth and very unique sounding. Vast editing and software for editing available.

Loaded with new OS and many patches, this is a deal at this price!

$400 FIRM

Cash and Carry in LES, no trades please, thanks.

So maybe the K5000S is their "secret weapon"..

http://www.vintagesynth.com/kawai/k5000.php

Ok,

while browsing craigslist I found this:

Kawai K5000S Additive Synth.

Bought from Boards Of Canada after tour, has two issues, a few buttons dont work well, and one output (of 4) works fine but the cable has to be in just the right position but still works fine, otherwise synth functions as it should, amazing synth and very unique sounding. Vast editing and software for editing available.

Loaded with new OS and many patches, this is a deal at this price!

$400 FIRM

Cash and Carry in LES, no trades please, thanks.

So maybe the K5000S is their "secret weapon"..

http://www.vintagesynth.com/kawai/k5000.php

I highly doubt if it was, that they'd sell it - but still neat if it really was BoC's gear...

Just 'cos it's been posted in multiple locations doesn't make it more legit. More like someone just wants to get rid of it quick.

Mr.mdg knows what he be talking 'bout !

Guest startsuper

<a href="http://forum.watmm.com/index.php?act=attach&code=showtopic&tid=10258#" target="_blank">http://forum.watmm.com/index.php?act=attac...&tid=10258#</a>

Where I posted me doing the Roygbiv bass line on my MC202 which is equivalent citcuitry to the SH-101 BOC probably use.

The CS1x could never be mistaken for a CS01 or CS80. Maybe it looks a bit like the AN1x or CX6x but I reckon that's a 1x on stage doing mater keyboard duties.

In some of the other pictures there's a flight case with the lid half open. Could be 101 in there and you can hear some live 101 sounds on some of the concert bootlegs. They're pretty robust for gigging so no trouble there.

It's an AN1x on stage, and I'm guessing not just for keyboard duties. I owned one for 10 years and it could produce lovely analog warbly synths without effects.

Archived