IGNORED

teleportation

Guest boo

teleportation  

47 members have voted

1. 1. so if there was a teleportation machine that destroys your brain and body, sends that stuff to the pig farm and remakes you at the other end, in precisely the the state you entered the machine in, with all your memory cells present and correct, drug addictions etc. all still there, back pain, headache, etc. all still there... would you say that was still you?

• yes
    • no

so if there was a teleportation machine that destroys your brain and body, sends that stuff to the pig farm and remakes you at the other end, in precisely the the state you entered the machine in, with all your memory cells present and correct, drug addictions etc. all still there, back pain, headache, etc. all still there... would you say that was still you?

my answer: yes, i would

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest analogue wings
so if there was a teleportation machine that destroys your brain and body, sends that stuff to the pig farm and remakes you at the other end, in precisely the the state you entered the machine in, with all your memory cells present and correct, drug addictions etc. all still there, back pain, headache, etc. all still there... would you say that was still you?

have fun getting eaten by the pigs while a copy of you bangs your girlfriend

if you suddenly recreated yourself identically standing opposite in front of you only 1 metre away, would the realisation that you were the one who was copied/ shifted 1 metre away be enough to stop you from reacting in exactly the same way/ being a mirror image in speech and movement? i mean, it would depend on the countless environmental parameters but i reckon you wouldn't, but only after the moments leading up to the point at which you jointly say "so you're a 'copy'?"/"so i'm a 'copy'?".

jealousy gone mad

i'm surprised people seem more willing to believe their soul will enter the cosmos or whatever than think a clone of themselves is still them

Guest analogue wings
i'm surprised people seem more willing to believe their soul will enter the cosmos or whatever than think a clone of themselves is still them

you seem to be the one suggesting that your soul/consciousness will detach from the newly pigmeated you and float on over to the copy cos it's the next closest thing

Guest analogue wings

jealousy gone mad

"what's that exact copy of me got that I haven't"

"he's not pigmeat, dumbass"

I think its ridiculous that this is considered "teleportation".

Do you guys think you are "teleporting" cereal into your stomache when you eat breakfast?

If you're going to truly teleport someone, it would have to be through a large enough wormhole. Otherwise you're just destroying and recreating an object in another space.

Guest analogue wings
If you're going to truly teleport someone, it would have to be through a large enough wormhole. Otherwise you're just destroying and recreating an object in another space.

...which is fine if it's an object, but kinda shit if it's you

i'm not a soul believer

alistair says:

iris, it's because i am clone

Iris says:

youre a clone?

*golf clap*

alistair says:

i am clone, yes

Iris says:

dammit you making me wanting to sign up to watmm so i can explain my point now

it got nothing to do with souls

alistair says:

i know it aint got nothing to do with no souls

Iris says:

its cos its a copy, its not te original

alistair says:

i'm just saying i'm surprised more people accept that

Iris says:

its not you, its someone who think its you

alistair says:

sure sure, i understand all that

i just think it's jealousy gone mad

Iris says:

im fine with accepting theyre both you, but the original is dead and you cant deny that

alistair says:

OH NO NEW FLESH IS EXPERIENCING Things from my minds eye, how awful

Iris says:

its not your mind, it's your copy's mind

its like saying your baby is you since its a copy of your genes

alistair says:

your mind is simply an accumulation of data it's received, not the actual physical matter

Iris says:

but its not you, its a copy

alistair says:

yes i get that

Iris says:

you itself wont experience anything as you're dead, your copy will live on, not you yourself T_T

alistair says:

can i post this bit of chat in the thread and to get opinions?

Iris says:

yes but remove the typos please

alistair says:

*very tempted to put "yes but remove the typos please" there*

Iris says:

sure

it'll be funny i guess

this is why i posted this thread, i wanted to show iris that people generally agree with her

Guest analogue wings

it's just alarming and kinda depressing how you seem to passively accept the idea of being obliterated. self preservation ftw

do you read any iain m banks? single-handedly the most believable scifi utopia conceived despite it well... being scifi. before entering a situation where you could conceivably die you make a backup. if you die you in effect lose just a period of memory. flesh is nothing but the machination of a rudimentary brain and personality, easily stored and restored.

Iris says:

still horny?

alistair says:

yup

Iris says:

dear oh dear..

like men are that great anyway, just fuck off with your bigh cock

alistair says:

i'm not actually still horny

can i post this bit of conversation in the thread? lol

Iris says:

sure